Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can access internet, but not router

DaveWC
Tutor

Can access internet, but not router

Hi, I have a new R7000 router. I can access the internet from all computers, cell phones etc. but when I try to access the router from my main computer I cannot. It says "NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network on thhe router & no IPv6 is enabled"I can ping 192.168.1.1 from this machine with no problem but cannot access http://www.routerlogin.netI can do everything fine from another computer on the network. I need this computer to be able to access/change the router settings.

I've tried resetting the router, turning it off/on, turning off/on the modem, rebooting the computer. Nothng has worked. But I am able to use the internet from this computer with no problem. I am using the Genie app as well and can do everything but access the Router Settings. Again, it is only on this one computer. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Kaspersky installs some deeply embedded drivers, so merely exiting it is not sufficient.

Try Netgear's instructions for dealing with Kaspersky (link).  Many find, however, that these don't work, so uninstalling is the only option.  For some reason, many find that things work after re-installing Kaspersky.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 24

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

What is the GATEWAY IP Address on that computer? Do an IPCONFIG in a command prompt to determine that.

Message 2 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

The Gateway IP is 192.168.1.1.  I can ping it fine, just can't key it into the URL of a browser or use routerlogin.net. I've also disconnected the router from the modem, connected just this computer to the router without any AV software or firewall & still can't access it. Yet when I reconnect the modem I have no problem getting on the internet on this (or any) computer. 

Message 3 of 24
netwrks
Master

Try disabling / uninstalling Genie app, and try PC again.. 

Message 4 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

Uninstalled/reinstalled Genie app with no effect. I don't know how the app could have anything to do with it as I can't access the router from my browser either by 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net. I can access the router on another computer using both of those methods, without the Genie app installed.

Message 5 of 24
netwrks
Master

Didn't know you unistalled the app. The Genie app on a pc can make a royal mess, not only on the pc it runs on, but can also can impede network performance. I wouldn't run that app on anything. What IP Address does the router give your pc?  

Message 6 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

I hadn't uninstalled the app before. I did it at your suggestion. Currently the IP address assigned to my PC is 192.168.1.15. 

Message 7 of 24
IrvSp
Master

Maybe your Security Suite? Some need to have the 'TRUSTED NETWORK' set to allow access to ANYTHING on the network. I know both Norton and McAfee need this. Easiest way to determine this, DISABLE for a test, try the URL, and then re-able your security.

Message 8 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

I'm using Kaspersky but I've tried accessing the router with no AV software, no firewall. I just rebooted in Safe Mode with Networking so there was virtually nothing else running & still can't access the Gateway IP address directly from a browser or by using ROUTERLOGIN.NET.

Message 9 of 24
netwrks
Master

Are you using Access Control in the router? I would double check there.  You could try giving your pc a static ip high up in the subnet (or reserve an ip on the router for your pc - not 1.15), to see if you can connect then.. If you have checked Access Control, and are pretty sure there is nothing causing an issue on your pc, I would reset the router to factory default and reconfigure..

Message 10 of 24
TheEther
Guru

Kaspersky is notorious for blocking access to the router.  Some people have had to resort uninstalling Kaspersky completely then reinstalling it.  Check on the Kaspserky forums.

Message 11 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

I'm not using Access Control, I checked. This is the 2nd day I've had the router, I've changed nothing in the setup. The problem happened out of the box. I immediately did a reset & it did nothing.

I assume it's something to do with my PC. I've had issues with this computer on a Home Network where other computers cannot share a printer that is attached to this computer but if I move the printer to another computer, this computer can share it. Similarly files on this computer can't be shared, but the computer itself is visible to others on the network. I've tried to do all of the suggested fixes for that as well with no luck.

Message 12 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

I thought it might be Kaspersky. That's why I rebooted in Safe Mode as it isn't running then. I have Kaspersky on the other computers & they have no problems accessing the router.

Message 13 of 24
VE6CGX
Master

Tried with browser cache cleared? Tried different browser just for the testing.

Message 14 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

I've tried this on Chrome, Firefox & Internet Explorer and had no luck on any browser.

Message 15 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Should.................Home Network........... be selected under network and sharing??????????????

Message 16 of 24
TheEther
Guru

Did you uninstall Kaspersky?

Message 17 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

I don't understand the question about Home Network. I have chosen that, should I not have done that? All computers on the network have that setting & work other than the one computer.

Message 18 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

I didn't uninstall Kaspersky, but I exited it and tried it with no success. I also ran the computer in Safe Mode which does not run Kaspersky. All other computers have the same version of Kaspersky running.

Message 19 of 24
IrvSp
Master

Wonder if you have PROXY set in that PC? Some 'malware' does that. Could send you off to odd web sites and even block you getting to the router.

• Ensure proxies are not enabled. If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN....".
  • Delete offline content. Select Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files.
    Select Delete all offline content, and click OK. (This is to clear any possible previous router log on page.)

Message 20 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

try reinstalling windows seeing that you had other issuse related to that PC

Message 21 of 24
TheEther
Guru

Kaspersky installs some deeply embedded drivers, so merely exiting it is not sufficient.

Try Netgear's instructions for dealing with Kaspersky (link).  Many find, however, that these don't work, so uninstalling is the only option.  For some reason, many find that things work after re-installing Kaspersky.

Message 22 of 24
VE6CGX
Master

Then logic tells me comparing network settings between two computers, working one vs. not working one. Starting with NIC settings. Is this such a difficult task?

Message 23 of 24
DaveWC
Tutor

Thanks for everyone's help. I uninstalled Kaspersky, reinstalled & it works fine now.  Thanks again.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7