Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can connect to router

NPT
Guide
Guide

Can connect to router

I bought this router about 6 months ago and it's worked great but all of of a sudden it will go into a state where you can't connect to it even with a wired connection. I pinged it (192.168.1.1) and it responds so I know it's there but if I try to connect to 192.168.1.1 it will NOT connect.  If I unplug it and let it boot back up then everything is back to normal.  The router is running version

V1.4.1.42_1.3.4 (copy and paste from router).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can connect to router

The firmware version you're on made quite a few changes.

I'd start with a factory reset and manual re-install. If you have a backup copy of your configuration, i wouldn't use it for the re-install. 

many times this fixes the issue you're having. 

If it doesn't, you can try downgrading a version of the firmware, resetting the device again (advised after a downgrade), and re-installing again. anytime you change firmware its a good idea to do it over a hardwired connection for best results.

Try these and let me know how it goes!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The firmware version you're on made quite a few changes.

I'd start with a factory reset and manual re-install. If you have a backup copy of your configuration, i wouldn't use it for the re-install. 

many times this fixes the issue you're having. 

If it doesn't, you can try downgrading a version of the firmware, resetting the device again (advised after a downgrade), and re-installing again. anytime you change firmware its a good idea to do it over a hardwired connection for best results.

Try these and let me know how it goes!

Message 2 of 7
NPT
Guide
Guide

How do I downgrade?  Do I just download the previous version of the firmware and install it?

Thanks for the reply.... it'll be a little while before I can try all of this because I'm kinda tied up with other things at the moment. Even though you didn't recommend it (and I don't think it will work either) I'm gonna reset it and do an install from a backup file because I can do that quickly. It will take quite some time to manually reconfigure it.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Correct. You just install one of the previous versions and install it. 

If you click downloads its under "+ view previous versions"

Only reason I don't recommend re-installing from a backup configuration is when they make significant changes, the backup might still include those settings and cause issues. You're not out anything for trying though. 

Message 4 of 7
NPT
Guide
Guide

So far it hasn't failed after I did a factory reset BUT it's gone for a week before and not failed so if it fails again I'm gonna do as you suggested and configure it manually.

Message 5 of 7
NPT
Guide
Guide

It did finally fail after my loading my backup into it but I tool your suggestion and started completely over and manually reconfibured it and it seems to be fine now.

Thanks a bunch!!

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it back up and stable! Let me/us know if you have further problems!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7