Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can no longer VPN into port 443 on R7000

millertime23
Aspirant

Can no longer VPN into port 443 on R7000

I had TCP port 443 configured for the openvpn settings on my R7000 router and it was working perfectly.

After the firmware upgrade to v1.0.11.126_10.2.112 my VPN will no longer connect.

I tried disabling the USB, turned off "Web Services Management", re-created the openvpn profiles, and rebooted the router multiple times.

Nothing is working. It seems like Netgear broke my ability to use TCP port 443 as an openvpn configuration after the latest firmware upgrade.

Does anyone have any possible solutions for this?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Can no longer VPN into port 443 on R7000

@millertime23 wrote:

Does anyone have any possible solutions for this?

You could see if reverting to earlier firmware works.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Get the earlier firmware from the support pages for your device.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device.

Message 2 of 7
millertime23
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback. I considered reverting my firmware to an earlier version. I'm only reluctant to do that because of possible security patches that may have been issued in the latest firmware

Message 3 of 7

Your call. A VPN that might work versus a possibly useful security improvement.

You can check to see if the firmware caused the problem and then decide which way to jump. 

Message 4 of 7
millertime23
Aspirant

I've been considering flashing DD-WRT if I can't find a fix for this. I prefer to keep stock firmware, but if I'm forced to downgrade firmware to fix this I'd rather install the latest DD-WRT instead

Message 5 of 7

@millertime23 wrote:

I've been considering flashing DD-WRT if I can't find a fix for this. I prefer to keep stock firmware, but if I'm forced to downgrade firmware to fix this I'd rather install the latest DD-WRT instead

Your call. Unfortunately, this place doesn't support third party firmware and there aren't that many experts in that stuff.

I know that the firmware updates promise to fix "security issues" but the reality is that these issues may well be "theoretical" threats that have rarely, if ever, been seen in the wild.

A lot of people never get round to updating firmware and don't experience any obvious effects.

As ever, your call. But if you have any more diagnostic details beyond "Nothing is working." maybe someone can divine the entrails.

Message 6 of 7
LionBS
Aspirant

Hello.

I have the same problem but with model R6700v3 and software version (V1.0.4.118_10.0.90 and V1.0.4.120_10.0.91).

Can't use VPN TUN TCP ort 443 anymore.

If it's a new software design restriction NetGear should communicate with their customers.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7