Re: Can no longer reach R7800 READYSHARE from Windows 10 explorer

Lanzia
Aspirant

Can no longer reach R7800 READYSHARE from Windows 10 explorer

Hello all,

I have a WD Elements portable disk attached to the USB port of my R7800 and I'm using this disk to store and read files of the Readyshare.

I used to be able to access the files on my Windows 10 PC's browing to "Network - Readyshare - share name" but this no longer works from all the PC's I own.

Every now and then I have this exact issue and restarting the router works but not this time.

I was running older firmware on the R7800, I updated to V1.0.2.46 but still the same issue.

On the routers interface page I see the drive / share and also in Windows it show "network - Readyshare" but when I click Readyshare I receive the error attached to this post.

When I restart the router I see the light of the WD drive lite up so I guess it does receive power. Also I connected the WD drive to my PC and are able to see the files.

I also enabled FTP and tried to reach the share with FTP and that does work.

I just want to be able to reach it from Windows explorer like I always do. Anyone knows what could be the problem here?

Thanks in advance! 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Netgear has missed to enhance and change the Nighthawk router ReadySHARE functionality for the requirements published years ago already. Windows 10 does (depending on the version, time, age, updates, ...) no longer support neither NetBIOS host announcements and name resolution, nor SMB 1.0.

For the moment, there is no other way but to reactivate the SMB 1.0/CIFS-Client Windows Feature - ensure the SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal is unticked (otherwise if not using SMB 1.0 protocol ie to access the ReadySHARE, Windows will remove this feature again). Unless you have a requirement to access the Windows system shared folders over the network using legacy systems do not enable the SMB 1.0/CIFS-Server.

SMB 1.0 CIFS Client - Windows Feature.PNG

Message 2 of 6
Lanzia
Aspirant

Pfff thats kind of sad Smiley Sad ... here I am with my new and shiny expensive router...unbelievable.

Anyway. Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Lanzia,

SMBv3 is supported in the latest firmware.

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Lanzia,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Offering SMB 3.0 does not make any storage device Windows 10 compatible. Still have not seen any WSD discovered ReadyShare (Nighthawk) device, and the NetBIOS host announcement is more than just flaky. A little bit fancy asking if the issue is fixed for the original poster....
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements