Can only hit 289/600 Mbps

nipper24a
Aspirant

Can only hit 289/600 Mbps

Hello Everyone,

In Wireless Setup of my 2.4 GHz channel I have the mode set to "up to 600 Mbps." However under the Advanced tab the 2.4 GHz setting only shows "up to 289 Mbps."

I currently have no security and would like the actual channel to be set at 600 Mbps.

I was told adding security to my network would raise this to 600, however I have tried this with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
netwrks
Master

Re: Can only hit 289/600 Mbps

What do you mean by Security? The wireless setting for R8000. starts on page 122. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_22Apr2015.pdf
Message 2 of 8
TANWare
Star

on the laptop, what network card is used?
Message 3 of 8

searay wrote:
You spent $300 on a router without having a clue on how this stuff works?

Oh so helpful. I spend even more when I buy a car, and have little idea of what happens under the bonnet.

Back to the question, don't be fooled by quoted speeds. They are theoretical and presented in ways that are designed to baffle even the most sophisticated users.

Rather than worry about numbers, look at what you are doing. If it works just fine, don't get too worked up. If things stop and start, or take forever, then start sniffing around.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 8
raven_au
Virtuoso

nipper24a, Not sure I can help, all I can do is share observations I've made, maybe it will help. Firstly having no security, IIUC, is not a good idea. I'd recommend WPA2, and I guess this is a home router so you would use PSK (pre-shared key, basically a password) before doing anything else. I've seen it said elsewhere that WPA2 is required to attain higher sync speeds but I'm not sure about that. In any case WPA2 is widely supported in devices and I believe it is the most efficient link encryption method. Next, I've noticed there are a couple of things that affect the maximum rate wireless clients can sync with, first the number and proximity of other APs. Then there's the "20/40 MHz Coexistence" that can cause clients to sync at about half the maximum because, (I believe but I'm not certain) if there are other APs in range that interfere with the signal only 20Mhz connections can be made rather than 40Mhz which is needed to attain the full range of sync speeds, assuming the client supports it as well. I don't understand why you see two different values in the two locations but perhaps it is the co-existence setting. If you have older clients that can't use 40Mhz and they won't work with the "20/40 MHz Coexistence" unchecked you may be stuck with this. So you'd need to update you client devices to fix it.
Message 5 of 8

raven_au wrote:

I've seen it said elsewhere that WPA2 is required to attain higher sync speeds but I'm not sure about that. In any case WPA2 is widely supported in devices and I believe it is the most efficient link encryption method.

You may sometimes see a pop up in the web interface with the modem saying something along these lines. For example, in the Help panel for one of my modems it says:

To achieve the best performance with 11N wireless adapters under robust security network, NETGEAR recommends that you change your network's security option to WPA2-PSK.

A question for nipper24a, why do you want to change this setting? Does you current setup show problems? Any signs that it is running slowly?

As 600 is the default setting for this modem, have you tried resetting it to the factory defaults?

But maybe we are talking to ourselves here. nipper24a hasn't been seen since the first message: perhaps they were deterred by the odd snarky comment.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 8
nipper24a
Aspirant

Thank you guys! I have some suggestions to try out. I'll report back soon.

The reason I currently have no security is because my home is remote XD.

Everything currently works fine, but I do multiple file transfers over my network. My goal is to see if I can maximize this.

Thanks again for all the comments so far.
Message 7 of 8

nipper24a wrote:
my home is remote XD.

What is that any why does it affect security?

Just another user.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E