Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Access R6700v3 after firmware update

djhalnon
Star

Can't Access R6700v3 after firmware update

I just upgraded firmware on my Netgear R6700v3 router, to 1.0.4.122_10.0.95. It functions ... as a router and gateway. But, I can no longer login to its admin page at http://192.168.1.1 or http://routerlogin.net. Yes, I tried https as well for both. The response in Chrome is the same, no matter which of those I try: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. Other browsers throw the same type of error. 

I expect what happened is that the Web server functionality within the firmware was either disabled in the new firmware, or not compiled into it. 

This site is riddled with similar reports concerning other routers. The only solution offered is to perform a factory reset on the router. That sounds all well and good, I guess, but there's a problem with that: It's not likely to work, and is much more likely to end up with the router being useless. After resetting it, I'd have to login to the router to set it back up ... but as I explained, its admin pages are inaccessible by Web browser. I'd end up with a router that won't work even as a gateway, since there'd be no way to configure its WAN side. 

So I am not going to risk effectively bricking my router by doing that. Absolutely not. No way, no how. 

Unfortunately there are no other solutions offered. I could have just added my own report of the problem to those other topics, but if so, my report would be lost among all the others. This absolutely needs to be addressed by Netgear. The more topics created on these boards, the more likely they are to be noticed. 

Come on, Netgear. Grow a spine and fix your broken firmware already. This is inexcusable ... and the "reset your router" solution offered so often, is no solution at all. Morever, Netgear knows full well that's not answer. That makes this doubly inexcusable. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
w1ndex
Tutor

Re: Can't Access R6700v3 after firmware update

I'm having the same problem, I can no longer log into my router after the firmware update...

Message 2 of 11
Brian_R
Guide

I also upadated the firmware on Dec 26 and I have the same issue. There are other threads on this forum with the same issue. The first one I saw was:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R6700v3-Firmware-update-V1-0-4-122-10-0-95-p...

Message 3 of 11
JayInTech
Tutor

I have the same problem.  One of the replies here point's to the thread I was on about this. 

Firmware update V1.0.4.122

They give directions on how upload a different firmware version.  So I'll give it a go as per the instructions.  Of course now I'm rolling back to a firmware missing security patches. lol.  but hopefully it'll be ok.  Looks like someone took notice on the other thread.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 11
w1ndex
Tutor

I did a factory reset and it is currently working, wifi stopped working yesterday and that was the last thing I had left to try but I don't know how long that will last. I fully solved my problem by ordering another router from a competent company.
Message 5 of 11
Brian_R
Guide

Message 6 of 11
djhalnon
Star

No, no, no, no, no.

And, hell no. 

Not one speck of any of this even came remotely close to a solution! 

It's clear people did not read what I originally said here, which is: I. Will. Not. Factory. Reset. This. Router. At. All. Ever. Period. Exclamation point.

That will effectively brick it, and I will under no circumstances voluntarily do so. I don't know how much clearer I can be, but there you have it. 

I also attempted the gymnastics which are the TFTP solution, which did not work. Not even close. The TFTP app I ran on my Mac repeatedly threw an error that "file is too big (37404730 bytes) and will take 73057 blocks to be sent with block size of 512 bytes" when I attempted to click "Put" during the magical moment during the router's reboot when it's supposed to be receptive to TFTP files.  

As I originally explained, Netgear is going to have to grow a freaking pair already and fix this problem. 

Yes, that's right. As a company, they need to collectively grow the heck up, take responsibility for having destroyed my and many other routers, and reach out to freaking fix them already. 

Nothing else is going to do it. You know it; I know it; and Netgear knows it. The question is, do they have the courage to do something about it? Or are they going to hide behind these forums full of ineffective and useless so-called "solutions"? That seems to be what they want to do. 

Message 7 of 11
w1ndex
Tutor

Calm down there good buddy no need to go off the deep end on us, we are on the same boat and it's sinking fast. Lay down the pipe and walk away, go take a relaxing walk in the woods, take a bubble bath, put on some Kenny G, whatever you like. You have to live dangerously sometimes. Do the factory reset. Be the person you swore to never become. Embrace the dark side. Find an apprentice and become a Sith lord. Because it's the only way you're going to get this jank router to work. Just do it! I have done it a couple of times so far. And all I am hitting is net, swish. No bricks here. Or just go the smart route and get a better router. Or you can live vicariously through me. I got a TP-Link Archer AX12000 and now I actually get the advertised speeds I'm supposed to get from Comcast Business. I got lucky, bought it for 220, then looked around and realized I somehow got a $350-400 router for almost half that brand new with the shrink wrap still on the box. Otherwise, you're going to have to learn to stop worrying and love the factory reset.
Message 8 of 11
mikeofcontex
Aspirant

Nighthawk app on Android does allow access to the device...   it is not as rich as the http interface.

Message 9 of 11
Kitsap
Master

@djhalnon wrote:

No, no, no, no, no.

And, hell no. 

Not one speck of any of this even came remotely close to a solution! 

It's clear people did not read what I originally said here, which is: I. Will. Not. Factory. Reset. This. Router. At. All. Ever. Period. Exclamation point.

That will effectively brick it, and I will under no circumstances voluntarily do so. I don't know how much clearer I can be, but there you have it. 

I also attempted the gymnastics which are the TFTP solution, which did not work. Not even close. The TFTP app I ran on my Mac repeatedly threw an error that "file is too big (37404730 bytes) and will take 73057 blocks to be sent with block size of 512 bytes" when I attempted to click "Put" during the magical moment during the router's reboot when it's supposed to be receptive to TFTP files.  

As I originally explained, Netgear is going to have to grow a freaking pair already and fix this problem. 

Yes, that's right. As a company, they need to collectively grow the heck up, take responsibility for having destroyed my and many other routers, and reach out to freaking fix them already. 

Nothing else is going to do it. You know it; I know it; and Netgear knows it. The question is, do they have the courage to do something about it? Or are they going to hide behind these forums full of ineffective and useless so-called "solutions"? That seems to be what they want to do. 

Walk, do not run, and buy yourself a new router.  Preferably not Netgear.

Good Luck!

Message 10 of 11
brettlyman
Aspirant

Sorry for the late post....but in case it helps anyone else:

Unplug the WAN cable from your router, reboot the router, and you'll be able to access the Admin page again. You won't have internet, however....

So here's what I did -- while you have internet (e.g. before you unplug your WAN cable) go to netgear support and download an old firmware for your router. Then unplug the WAN cable and reboot your router so you can get in to Admin and upgrade (downgrade) your firmware by selecting the firmware file you downloaded. 

After the firmware update I was able to plug my WAN cable back in and I'm back to normal again. 

Seriously though....what's wrong with Netgear? After firmware upgrade the admin page just doesn't load. At all. How can they ship that? How does that make it past their QA dept? Who signed off on this? Whomever that was should be fired. 

Then again, all of us customers can "fire" Netgear by never buying their products again. Which is the camp I'm in. Never again. 

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7