Can't Login to Netgear AC1900 router

Pteronarcys
Aspirant

Can't Login to Netgear AC1900 router

So I picked this up on amazon the other day.  When it arrived I bridged port 1 in an actiontec T2200H and hooked the netgear AC1900 to port 1 on the actiontec and to port 1 in the netgear.  I thought about doing a firmware update since it is not the newest model of routers, but ran into a roadblock.... can't get into the frickin router software.

Internet both wired and wireless is all working (using cat6a not sure if this info matters but putting in here anyway).  The manual came with a sheet that said use Netgear Up app.  So I downloaded it and once in it said to connect to the router's wireless network, which I was already connected to.  So I disconnected and reconnected.  When back to the app and it still had the option of "show me how" and "go to wifi settings."  I touched the go to wifi settings and I am back at the wifi list and I again tried both the netgear55 and netgear55-5G.  All that happens is it connects to the network then I go back to the app and I still have the options of show me how and go to wifi settings.  Clicking on show me how just shows me how to do what I just did, which I knew how to do that.

So I gave up on the Netgear up app.  Tried the Netgear genie app that was listed in the manual.  Same basic issue.  options of show me how and next for the connect to your router wifi page.  Click next and this app wants the local router admin user name and password.  I put in the info from the manual and click login and it goes back to the previous page.  I tried clicking the box that says enter router's op address manually and put in 192.168.1.1 and it goes back to the previous page.  I tried the ip address listed in my wireless ip4  same thing.

So I give up with that. I tried the routerlogin.net and .com and get a message saying I am not connected to wireless even though I am.  I tried both band width connections and same thing.

I went to pc and hardwired it and tried ip addresses listed in a cmd ipconfig/all  for the ip4, gateway, etc.  

I looked for about 4 hours through forums for solutions such as using diffent devices, clearing cache, different browsers, swearing at it, trying to seduce it, and calling it a dirty whore.  Nothing seems to work.  

As far as it actually working, it is!  It sends a wireless signal out in both bands and ports work fine hardwired.  Is there a need to get into the router software and update the firmware or play with settings?  I dunno, but it would be nice to have that option.

Where I am at now is putting it out there to the tech gurus who have greater gifts than I.  Is this a model flaw?  Is it just mine?  Am I missing something obvious?  Was dirty whore the wrong phrase?  Help me Obi Wan Kenobi... you're my only hope!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14

Re: Can't Login to Netgear AC1900 router

I'm afraid I find it hard to follow your message and to work out exactly what the concern is. So let's kick off with one of Netgear's basic responses:

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The Netgear Up app is a new fangled thingy. It doesn't support many models.It also needs new firmware. In your case firmware version 1.0.7.2 and above. Do you have that?

You won't find many people here who know about it. The old Genie app is more familiar. That should also work for you.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 14
Pteronarcys
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply

Based on your link which sums up things I have tried, but I will break it down.

Steps 1-->4 are all good.  Connected with ethernet cable, leds are on

Step 5 ping for 192.168.1.1  timed out

ping for 192.168.0.1 timed out

based on this, my computer is not connecting to the router.  Yet, I have internet and wireless connections.  In my ethernet settings, it is showing activity and bytes passing (over a 100mbps connection).  

When doing a ipconfig \all I get an ip address and gateway for the ethernet connection.  I tried pinging the gateway and my ip and I get a response.  Though putting those into the address bar of browsers have site can't be reached, refused to connect.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14

Kaspersky?

>>>>> Unable to access router management page with Kaspersky installed <<<<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 14
Pteronarcys
Aspirant

No, don't have that program
Message 5 of 14
Pteronarcys
Aspirant

Can't find a solution online that works.  Never had an issue with accessing a router's software in all the routers I have had or helped friends/family with.  It shouldn't be this hard!

Message 6 of 14

@Pteronarcys wrote:

It shouldn't be this hard!

I couldn't agree more. You would have thought that the number of people who turn up here with the same problem would have raised the alarm enough for Netgear to have unleashed a SWAT team on to it.

You haven't told use everything you have tried out of those on-line solutions. Does that include the desktop app? How about the older Android genie? How about a different browser?

Just another user.

Message 7 of 14
Pteronarcys
Aspirant

Yes, I have tried the apps.  If you look back my original post, they wouldn't recognize the wireless even though I am connected to wireless.  Tried on multiple devices.  For the routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com I tried all the browsers on pc, android and mac

Message 8 of 14

@Pteronarcys wrote:

Yes, I have tried the apps.  If you look back my original post, they wouldn't recognize the wireless even though I am connected to wireless.

That's one of those freaky, and misleading, messages that happens when you use wifi. It is usually better to do a hard wired connection.

I lost the login option when I turned on IPv6.  Turned if off an it came back.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 14
Pteronarcys
Aspirant

Wish the hardline option worked. It baffles me why I can't access it at all but have internet (wired and wireless) work fine. I bought the router because of the settings I could change in the router. If I didn't care, I wouldn't have spent $200 Canadian. Debating on sending it back to Amazon where I got it. It's things like this that puts someone off of ever buying a netgear product again and warning others not to purchase.
Wish this came up in all the reviews I read before buying.
Message 10 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi Pteronarcys,

Just to verify, did you use the Internet port(yellow port) of the router to connect to the modem or ethernet port(port 1)?

Message 11 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi Pteronarcys,

Disconnect the router from the modem. The PC should only be the device connected to the router. 

Access the admin page. If still cannot access the page, check the IP address of the router. Make sure it is a valid IP. 

Message 12 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi Pteronarcys,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 13 of 14
Pteronarcys
Aspirant

Borrowed a friend's Asus router to see if I would have the same issue with another name brand. I typed in the access ip and the Asus router setup page came up on the first try. Packed up the netgear and returned it to Amazon. Not going back to a netgear and not recommending them. This experience has left a bad impression, especially when a competitor works infinity easier. I would say, perhaps I got a dud and try another netgear, but seeing how this issue is a very popular topic, I don't want to go through the frustration of having this happen again. Sure, some people solved their issue, but it shouldn't be that difficult. It should be as easy as what the Asus router (or any other router I have ever used) to get into the settings.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements