Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access R7000 admin

MurH
Aspirant

Can't access R7000 admin

I wanted to reset my R7000 to factory settings and then change my passwords and SSID name. I am on Mac OSX 10.14.2, and the R7000 has the latest Firmware update installed. I was able to reset the router and put in new admin username and password, but when I try to access the admin, it sometimes makes me repeat signing in several times, and sometimes lets me go to the next step. I eventually get to the part where I can put in my two challenge questions, but nothing ever happens after that. I can't continue past that point ever.

I'm not an expert on this, so does anyone know what I should do next? I've tried resetting the router a number of times and doing a factory reset a number of times as well. I can access it from my iphone, but not the admin stuff.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions

@MurH wrote:

Now here's the stupid question of the day . . .

In the circumstances, more a stupid answer on my part than a stupid question.

The only thing I can think of is to disconnect the router and your PC from the outside world.  Factory reset the router. Plug the PC into the router. Boot the router. Boot the PC. Use a browser to access the router. This is likely to cause the start up genie/wizard to kick in. Work out how to dismiss it and take things from there.

An alternative, which you should not need, is the old standby for a bricked router. TFTP.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 25

All Replies
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Message 2 of 25
MurH
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply - admin and password dont work either.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 25
Thinkster
Apprentice

Try doing it on a PC or a better browser then Safari as I never use Apple to do configuration setups unless I'm dealing with a Airport router or AP as those are designed to work with Apple.

Message 4 of 25
alien433
Guide

@MurH wrote:

I wanted to reset my R7000 to factory settings and then change my passwords and SSID name. I am on Mac OSX 10.14.2, and the R7000 has the latest Firmware update installed. I was able to reset the router and put in new admin username and password, but when I try to access the admin, it sometimes makes me repeat signing in several times, and sometimes lets me go to the next step. I eventually get to the part where I can put in my two challenge questions, but nothing ever happens after that. I can't continue past that point ever.

I'm not an expert on this, so does anyone know what I should do next? I've tried resetting the router a number of times and doina factory reset a number of times as well. I can access it from my iphone, but not the admin stuff.

Wehn you do a factory reset, than the standard Password is Password.

https://kb.netgear.com/24340/What-are-the-factory-default-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-R7000-router-and-...

And when its not working you did not a factory reset. Please read carefully how to do a factory reset.

Message 5 of 25
MurH
Aspirant

I don't have a PC to try accessing admin, but I have tried using Chrome and Firefox with no luck. I have been able to reset the router but using admin and password yield exactly the same results - I can't get into the admin.

Message 6 of 25

@MurH wrote:

I can't get into the admin.

What happens when you try?

"Can't get in" tells us not much. Take us through the steps you take and where things go wrong.

Remember, if you are trying to get at this thing with a wifi connection, rather than a wired link, you have to login to the wifi before you can get into the router.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 7 of 25
MurH
Aspirant

You're right - I wasn't too specific.

When I try to sign in, I get the usual username and password box. I'm directly connected to the router to my computer via Ethernet and Wi-Fi is disabled. I can put in my username and password, however it immediately returns with the same box and the password area is empty. When I repeat the process, I end up in the change password window. I put in the serial nmber of the R7000 from the base and most of the time when I click on continue or hit enter nothing happens at all. Once in a while I get past that and to where I'm asked to input two of my challenge questions. After typing them in and hitting continue or enter nothing happens - I can't get past that part.

I can hold the reset to factory resets button in and get a reset, and I can change my admin password and SSIN, but whether I change the password or not - and use admin and password - everything works out exactly the same.

I have a cable modem in front of the R700 - it's a gateway provided by my local cable provider, so the R7000 is just used basically for Wi-Fi and controlling my network.

Message 8 of 25

@MurH wrote:

I have a cable modem in front of the R700 - it's a gateway provided by my local cable provider, so the R7000 is just used basically for Wi-Fi and controlling my network.

Gateway is a word that has several meanings in network talk. It is commonly used to describe a device that does phones as well as the local network, so it will act as as router. Sometimes, it is just a modem with phone connectors.

If you really do have a gateway that is also a router, then for an easy life you should consider putting the R7000 in access point m,ode. But this will lose some of its features:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you don't want to do that, then work out how to disable the router bit of the gateway by putting it into modem only (bridge) mode.

Failing that you will have two routers on your network which can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

Sometimes it is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply customers with a modem/router that just won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the device to cooperate, but sometimes it is just easier to put the second router in AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It might also help if you told people what the modem/gateway is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

Message 9 of 25
Thinkster
Apprentice

You stated, "I have a cable modem in front of the R700 - it's a gateway provided by my local cable provider".   

(1)  If it is indeed a gateway, not just a standard modem with one ethernet port,  that's a bad mix!  Then you are double routing. 

(2) Equipment provided by internet providers is JUNK! and cripled.  You should own your own plain jane modem (like Arris/Motorola SB61xx series) along with your R7000.  You can pick one up as cheap as $30 plus you will avoid equipment rental fees a lot of cable providers charge you.

(3) Just to avoid any possible conflict, disconnect the ethernet cable from the cable co's gateway to the WAN port on the R7000 and try factory resetting the R7000 and logging in, but don't change the default username/password .  

Message 10 of 25
IrvSp
Master

Besides what @michaelkenward said, you need to be very specific, especially if the modem is also a router (has a wireless function). The actual URL you are using as well. Also it would help if you posted the Gateway IP Address of the phone/tablet you are using. Each has a different way of displaying. Some might have app's that will show you that.

For instance on iOS, go to Settings, Wifi, and the one you are connected to, click on the 'i' with a circle around it. It will show you the Router IP Address. Android has a few ways, but only the IP Address of the device is shown, but with that one can figure out the Router IP Address.

Once you know the Router IP Address (generally 192.168.1.1 but can be different), entering that into the Browser URL should get you to the credentials prompt. When you get there, take a screenshot and post it, or describe it and what you enter and what comes up on the browser next.

Message 11 of 25
kb90
Aspirant

Message 12 of 25

@Thinkster wrote:

(1)  If it is indeed a gateway, not just a standard modem with one ethernet port,  that's a bad mix!  Then you are double routing. 

You can even get some router function in devices with a single LAN port. Netgear's DM200 DSL modem, for example. Then there are modem-only boxes with more than one port.

@Thinkster wrote:

(2) Equipment provided by internet providers is JUNK! and cripled. 

You can say that again. Does any ISP supply decent equipment?

They even have the cheek to mess around with standard kit, installing firmware that you can't update yourself, and then failing to update it at their end.

Message 13 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@kb90 wrote:

Hello All,
I'm having the same/similar issues as well:

DO NOT DO THIS!

You might think your situation is the same, and it might be, but working on two in one thread is hard and results from suggestions could vary and be mixed.

Don't hijack a thread. START A NEW ONE! Quick answer though. Reset button sometimes DOES not restore the default credentials it seems. Try to old one you had. Some versions of firmware seem to react differently to the hard reset it seems... but a new thread is the way to go.

Message 14 of 25

@kb90 wrote:

Hello All,
I'm having the same/similar issues as well:

Maybe, maybe not.

If you can't find the solution in this discussion it is probably a good idea to start a new discussion. That is more likely to catch the eye of the Netgear team, who may assume that there is already enough help going on here. Then there is the exhortation in the Community Terms of Service not to hijack someone else's discussion

There are various questions that @MurH responded to that you should answer in your own thread.

Message 15 of 25
MurH
Aspirant

Thanks for all the replies!

My cable modem is set to bridge mode, and I can access the authorization screen using the 192.168.1.1 IP address - my problem is getting past that step. I put the R7000 in around a year ago and it worked like a champ - until I did the last firmware update. 1.0.0.64, which is, according to Netgear, the latest update. Until then, I was able to get into Admin any time I wanted - so I'm thinking the Firmware update is the issue? 

Message 16 of 25

@MurH wrote:
...so I'm thinking the Firmware update is the issue? 

You would not be the first to think that. But I can't say that I have seen that bug associated with the latest firmware.

Try older firmware and see if it fixes it.

Message 17 of 25
MurH
Aspirant

Thank you! Now here's the stupid question of the day . . . how do I install an older version of the firmware when I can't get into the Admin? I can update it remotely from my iphone, but that just does an update and I can't select any version.

Message 18 of 25

@MurH wrote:

Now here's the stupid question of the day . . .

In the circumstances, more a stupid answer on my part than a stupid question.

The only thing I can think of is to disconnect the router and your PC from the outside world.  Factory reset the router. Plug the PC into the router. Boot the router. Boot the PC. Use a browser to access the router. This is likely to cause the start up genie/wizard to kick in. Work out how to dismiss it and take things from there.

An alternative, which you should not need, is the old standby for a bricked router. TFTP.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 19 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@MurH wrote:

Thank you! Now here's the stupid question of the day . . . how do I install an older version of the firmware when I can't get into the Admin? I can update it remotely from my iphone, but that just does an update and I can't select any version.

This other comment isn't too clear and may be the root of the problem?

"My cable modem is set to bridge mode, and I can access the authorization screen using the 192.168.1.1 IP address"

When you enter 192.168.1.1 where are you ACTUALLY connecting to? The modem or the router?

Next is " I can update it remotely from my iphone, but that just does an update and I can't select any version." but that only will work for LATER firmware, if already on the most recent, you will do nothing.

So, first find out WHERE the iPhone app is connected to? In GENERAL => Settings =>WIRELESS and the connection has an 'i' with a circle around it. What IS the IP Address of the iPhone? Replace the last octet with '.1' and that should get you to the router.

Another thing, do the RESET with the hidden button. Should reset everything. You'll need to connect using the netword SSID and P/W on the bottom of the router. Then use a browser to access it.

Only way to can load an old f/w unfortunately is from a place you can d/l the old one to and use the Browser Genie to BROWSE for its location AFTER you UNZIPPED it.

Message 20 of 25
MurH
Aspirant

That. Worked.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Message 21 of 25
daFoxe1
Aspirant

"That" what? Reverting to the previous firmware? I have the "same" problem.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 22 of 25

@daFoxe1 wrote:

"That" what? Reverting to the previous firmware? I have the "same" problem.

It is hard to know where you came in. But a good place to start might be the message marked Solved.

Solved: Re: Can't access R7000 admin - NETGEAR Communities

Then again, what you call "the same problem" may well be something very different. One set of symptoms could be down to any number of causes. So your best bet is to start your own discussion with all the details that people have asked for during this one.

Message 23 of 25
daFoxe1
Aspirant

Yes, sorry. I was just responding to MurH's last post. I still can't login to my new R7000 admin after setting it up with the NightHawk iPhone app and updating to the new firmware 1.0.9.64. I have 65 devices attached and I don't want to reset the R7000 and go through naming every device again. I should have kept using my C6300 and not updated my hardware despite the widely announced attack threat to the c6300.

Message 24 of 25

@daFoxe1 wrote:

I still can't login to my new R7000 admin after setting it up with the NightHawk iPhone app and updating to the new firmware 1.0.9.64.

Not sure what that means – if it is the login or the update that is the issue – but there have been reports of issues with the latest iPhone app. So getting into the device with a browser, either on the iPhone or a PC, might be worth trying.

Whatever the issue, it probably has nothing to do with the Mac OS that was the (now solved) issue in the first question. So start from scratch and the responses may be more helpful.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7