Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access readyshare Nighthawk r7000p

JohnSeiffer
Aspirant

Can't access readyshare Nighthawk r7000p

I just installed my Nighthawk router. I plugged a USB Hard drive into the USB 3.0 port on the front. I waited a few minutes. Then I did what the user manual said. Select Start > Run. Enter \\readyshare in the dialog box. 

I got an error - Windows cannot access \\readyshare

What do I do now? Obviously I want that drive to be accessible on the network. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Can't access readyshare Nighthawk r7000p

Sorry to say, but you have a Portable drive. Many of those just don't work as they draw power from the USB port and the router can't supply enough. Usually 90% or better drives that are self-powered will work, and a few larger ones too.

Netgear has a list of TESTED drives at https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE, but the key word there IS tested. Some not on the list will work, but generally sefl-powered, 4TB's or smaller, and formatted in NTFS or other allowed formats. exFAT is one that IS not going to work.

It might work on the USB 2.0 port, seems that port might have more power, but it is clearly not recognized as a valid drive as it doesn't appear.

Since you just got the drive you could contact NG via SUPPORT and then MY SUPPORT I guess?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@JohnSeiffer wrote:

I just installed my Nighthawk router. I plugged a USB Hard drive into the USB 3.0 port on the front. I waited a few minutes. Then I did what the user manual said. Select Start > Run. Enter \\readyshare in the dialog box. 

I got an error - Windows cannot access \\readyshare

What do I do now? Obviously I want that drive to be accessible on the network. 

Could be a bunch of reasons this didn't work.

First, did you open a BROWSER, log into the router and then select the USB Function tab on the ADVANCED tab at top? Does it show a drive active on that page? Is the WORKGROUP name the name of your Network?

What OS are you on? Windows? Open a CMD prompt and enter NET VIEW, what are the results?

What is the size of the drive?

How many partitions does it have?

Is it self-powered or portable?

Does the drive work on a PC?

Message 2 of 5
JohnSeiffer
Aspirant

My Answers below your questions.

First, did you open a BROWSER, log into the router and then select the USB Function tab on the ADVANCED tab at top? Does it show a drive active on that page?

NO - there is not active drive.

Is the WORKGROUP name the name of your Network?

YES - same name

What OS are you on? Windows? Open a CMD prompt and enter NET VIEW, what are the results?

Windows 10. NET VIEW shows my computer and nothing else)

What is the size of the drive?

4 T

How many partitions does it have?

I don't know how many partitions

Is it self-powered or portable?

Both. It's portable but doesn't need external power.

Does the drive work on a PC?

YES

Still no love. When I try to run readyshare windows says "Windows cannot access \\readyshare"

Message 3 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Sorry to say, but you have a Portable drive. Many of those just don't work as they draw power from the USB port and the router can't supply enough. Usually 90% or better drives that are self-powered will work, and a few larger ones too.

Netgear has a list of TESTED drives at https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE, but the key word there IS tested. Some not on the list will work, but generally sefl-powered, 4TB's or smaller, and formatted in NTFS or other allowed formats. exFAT is one that IS not going to work.

It might work on the USB 2.0 port, seems that port might have more power, but it is clearly not recognized as a valid drive as it doesn't appear.

Since you just got the drive you could contact NG via SUPPORT and then MY SUPPORT I guess?

Message 4 of 5
JohnSeiffer
Aspirant

THANKS. Hooking it up to the USB 2.0 port worked. I'd prefer to have the 3.0 speed but this is better than nothing.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7