Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't access router password even after changing the password online

Susie61
Aspirant

Can't access router password even after changing the password online

My password isn't working for my AC1750 Smart WiFi router.  I changed my password online and can manage my account, but that password doesn't seem to work for the router?  

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't access router password even after changing the password online

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for General Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with older routers and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 10 seconds then let go then log in to routerlogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 4

@Susie61 wrote:

My password isn't working for my AC1750 Smart WiFi router.  I changed my password online and can manage my account, but that password doesn't seem to work for the router?  

Which device do you own? AC1750 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

Netgear makes life interesting by having all manner of passwords. There is the one into the router's controls, then there are those to get into the router's wifi, and then there any that you use to get into this Community and/or MyNetgear.

The only ne that you can play with on line is the Community and/or MyNetgear. The others are done on the router itself. No need for an inyterneyt connection.

Different passwords pop up at different times, depending on how you connect to the device and where you are trying to access from, your local network or somewhere else on the Internet. (Previously known as Remote Access, that's now called Anywhere Access.)

If you are talking about access to the browser's graphical user interface (GUI), the router's controls, these are on the label for your device, along with the default wifi login details. The username is fixed at admin. The default password is password.

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

By the way, there is absolutely no need to waste anypne's time and to go off to another section, where there are very few visitors. Your question is the same as anyone using a Nighthawk router might ask. 

Message 3 of 4
Susie61
Aspirant

Thank you for all of your help.  I was able to see the password on my phone app somehow.  I hadn't made it up, but at least now I'm in.  They definitely don't make it easy for you!  I'd actually had trouble when I set it up and was in as a guest, so now I'm able to log into it from any device.  Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7