Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access the Router Login page after doing factory reset.

gusperrysmom
Aspirant

Can't access the Router Login page after doing factory reset.

Router:  Nighthawk R8000

Version:  1.0.3.26

WiFi access

I have been having intermittent connection problems and Geek Squad said it was a router issue and not a computer (Windows 10) issue and that I should do a factory reset of the router ... which I did.  

Now I can access the router with Netgear Genie from my Android tablet, but I cannot access the router from my Windows 10 PC.

My computer is connected to the internet (I'm using it to log this issue) and I'm still experiencing intermittent connection problems which resolve on their own after several minutes or a reboot, but I cannot connect to the router via routerlogin.net or 192.163.1.1.  I read the "Why can't I access routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net", but I wasn't able to find anything that helped me.

I'm not real computer tech savy, so the stuff about firewall and Java script went over my head.  I did turn off the firewall, but that didn't help.  Not sure if I should have rebooted after I turned it off.  

Help!  Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi gusperrysmom,

If you have a kaspersky antivirus, you might want to check the KB article below.

http://kb.netgear.com/30012/Unable-to-access-router-management-page-with-Kaspersky-installed

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It could of course be an ISP problem too.

You could try something like the trial version of PingPlotter and let run ping tests in the background.  If your modem has a web admin page, you should be able to ping that, and that will show you any issues between the PC and the modem (e.g., the router).  You can also ping some other internet hostname simultaneously (for instance geeksquad.com), and compare the results.

The usual IP address for your router would be 192.168.1.1, not 163.  

You can find out your PC's "gateway address" using the guide here: http://www.howtogeek.com/233952/how-to-find-your-routers-ip-address-on-any-computer-smartphone-or-ta...  That is your router's local IP address.

Message 2 of 7
gusperrysmom
Aspirant

Thanks, Stephen.  Yes.  That is a typo on my part.  192.168.1.1 is the IP address for the router.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@gusperrysmom wrote:

192.168.1.1 is the IP address for the router.

Probably you should solve the login page issue before you go back to the internet connection problem.  You might need to try a second reset.

Message 4 of 7
gusperrysmom
Aspirant

Yes.  The login page issue is what I'm trying to solve and I'm afraid PingPlotter is way beyond my level of understanding.

Message 5 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi gusperrysmom,

If you have a kaspersky antivirus, you might want to check the KB article below.

http://kb.netgear.com/30012/Unable-to-access-router-management-page-with-Kaspersky-installed

Message 6 of 7
gusperrysmom
Aspirant

Well JamesGL ... you were absolutely right.  I ultimately had to uninstall Kaspersky to get to the Router Login page.  Kaspersky and Chrome just do not like each other.  Guess I'll try working with Kaspersky now.  Wish me luck!   Thanks so much!!!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7