Can't connect on local wireless net.

hawgit
Aspirant

Can't connect on local wireless net.

Hey all.
Here is a strange problem...
I can't connect to anything on my local net (192.168.1.XXX) but I can connect through my external static IP address (modem). I can connect directly to my router with no problem. When I try to connect to my 9 wireless IP cameras locally, I get an error 404 cant connect to the server. The cameras can connect direct on the internal net with no problem. If I go in through the external address, I get a quick connect.
I've tried to connect using a windows 8.1 laptop, a iPad 3, and a iPhone 5. all up to date with upgrades.
I had a wireless outage about a week ago. Not sure what happened there. I rebooted the router and I think that started my problem. Not sure though.
"I CAN EXPLAIN IT TO YOU, BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT FOR YOU!"
Message 1 of 11
fordem
Mentor

Re: Can't connect on local wireless net.

Is the local connection wired or wireless? What do you mean by a wireless outage? Some wireless routers allow what is known as wireless isolation, which prevents wireless clients from accessing the wired side, others have "guest networks" which serve a similar purpose.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 11
Shadowlore
Guide

fordem wrote:
Some wireless routers allow what is known as wireless isolation, which prevents wireless clients from accessing the wired side, others have "guest networks" which serve a similar purpose.

I'd like to also bring up.. some routers also turn on a weird non-DNS resolving isolation, as well. (The Netgear Centria has this issue off and on, as do a few Linksys) ... have never seen it happen on the R7000, however.
~ Shadowlore
Message 3 of 11
hawgit
Aspirant

fordem,

Thanks for the help and reply.
My local connection is:
My router is wired to a computer an one camera.
Everything else is wireless. two computers, two ipads, two iphones, and 8 IP WIFI Cameras.
The wireless outage was, on waking one morning, my wife tried her ipad with no internet. Mine was the same. We could connect but no internet. We waited about 4 hours figuring it was our cable company with no luck. We didn't try the wired computer.
So I powered the router down for 2 minutes and powered back up. Now everything seems normal except for me to look at my wireless cameras I need to go in through the outside static IP address.
Im not sur about wireless isolation.
I don't use guest networks. It gets me nervous. 🙂
Message 4 of 11
hawgit
Aspirant

Shadowlore,

Not sure about DNS resolving isolation. Is that a wireless outage thing or a wifi connection thing???

Sorry. Not much of a guru here....
Message 5 of 11
fordem
Mentor

I'll try to keep this both brief & simple. DNS is domain name resolution, it is the process of translating a website name (eg. www.netgear.com) to it's numeric address (54.201.82.15) that your computer actually uses to retrieve it. Many end users only know that they cannot connect to the internet when in some cases they are actually connected to the internet, but cannot reach a website because the tablet/computer cannot resolve the name to it's address. Use the wired computer to check the cameras - can you see them?

Message 6 of 11
Shadowlore
Guide

Didn't mean to step on your toes here, while you're helping him, Fordem ;) What I was referring to, is the fact that the local names associated with devices, may not resolve locally on his machine when connected wireless. Example: I'm connected on my laptop via wireless, and I try to connect to my ReadyNas (named: ReadyNas3) and I can't resolve the ip name. However, if I use the IP address itself, instead of the name, it works. Alternately, I can plug in via wired and connect that way. The above issue is what I was referring to, nothing more. (In fact, the ONLY reason it came to mind, is because I've been dealing with supporting a remote site today that has been dealing with it ;) But, as I said.. didn't mean to step in the way... carry on 🙂
~ Shadowlore
Message 7 of 11
hawgit
Aspirant

fordem,

Simple and brief works for me. 🙂
All of my attempted connects are 192.168.1.xxx:xxxxx All IP addresses.
I checked the wired computer and it acts like the wireless connection. It says to check my address.
By the way, I logged onto my router and checked attached units shown. All that was attached was 5! There should be at least 20+ wireless connections. It does show my NAS, 2 wired cameras, a wired computer, and my ipad. On the attached devices sheet, it shows the 5 attached wired devices. Next it shows the 2.4G wireless with a bunch of MAC addresses, a few IP addresses, and a few names.
Does that give you any hints?
Message 8 of 11
hawgit
Aspirant

Shadowlore,

I do appreciate any information you all give me. I have some knowledge of networking. Just enough to be dangersous. 🙂
I can connect to my NAS with no problem. 192.168.1.xxx and it comes right up. If I try to use my local IP address to connect to my cameras, I get nothing. Even if I connect my laptop to the router via CAT5, I get nothing. If I use the external modem address, I connect right up.
Message 9 of 11
hawgit
Aspirant

UPDATE.........UPDATE...........UPDATE
It all seems to work now.
Just for kicks, I decided to update the firmware. When it booted up, I could connect to my cameras with no problems. Maybe all I needed was to boot it up again.
Go figure....
Thanks much guys for all of your help. I learned some tonight.
Message 10 of 11
fordem
Mentor

hawgit wrote:
By the way, I logged onto my router and checked attached units shown. All that was attached was 5! There should be at least 20+ wireless connections.

I generally don't put too much emphasis on the router's attached devices page - doesn't matter what make or model of router, I've never seen one that was accurate - they will either show devices that are no longer present, or will not show devices that are present - which scenario you see depends on how the particular router gathers the information.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E