Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect through switch

stranghappening
Aspirant

Can't connect through switch

I have a witch that connects to one of the LAN port on the router and until a few days ago all devices on the switch was able to get a valid IP from the router. Now, none of my devices are able to connect. If I connect directly to the router on the LAN port, it works but as soon as I put the switch in and connect through the switch, I can't get a valid IP.  I tested the switch and it's working since I have other routers (ASUS & TP-Link) available for testing. I have reset the router but still has the same problem.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
stranghappening
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect through switch

Thanks everyone for the reply. I have finally found the issue that was causing the problem. It seems that the Directv Whole-home connector was causing the problem. I had only been debugging the switch and router since all the symptoms were related to them. Not sure what update was pushed, but the problem resolved itself once I removed that from my LAN on the router. It doesn't make sense on why it would cause a problem.

As for all the suggestions made by everyone, I did try all of them prior to posting even with powering each item in sequence (router, switch, computer).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Did you also remove/restore power to the switch?

Message 2 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

Basic switches are dumb Switch itself is gone bad or if it uses wall wart, it could've gone bad.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@VE6CGX wrote:

Basic switches are dumb.

Sometimes "rebooting" the switch can help. Even a basic switch builds and maintains a switching table as it learns which mac addresses can be reached on each switch ports. They have no user interface controls, but that doesn't mean they are dumb.

I don't think this switch has actually failed though, since it did work when the poster connected it to another router.

Message 4 of 5
stranghappening
Aspirant

Thanks everyone for the reply. I have finally found the issue that was causing the problem. It seems that the Directv Whole-home connector was causing the problem. I had only been debugging the switch and router since all the symptoms were related to them. Not sure what update was pushed, but the problem resolved itself once I removed that from my LAN on the router. It doesn't make sense on why it would cause a problem.

As for all the suggestions made by everyone, I did try all of them prior to posting even with powering each item in sequence (router, switch, computer).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7