Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect to 2.4 but 5g still works?

virtualgeorge
Aspirant

Can't connect to 2.4 but 5g still works?

I have centurylink and a C2000T modem. I have a Nighthawk 7450 dual band that has been working fine for years but after power outage I suddenly can't connect any of my devices to the 2.4 network. Seems like I see errors on connections using 5g but it still seems to work.

My internet service also had some issues the same time we had a power outage but its supposed to be all good now.  Is it most likely some mis configuration in the netgear router? Or how would I troubleshoot before buying a new one? It is a few years old but don't think I have ever had a router go bad in over 20 years? 

#https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r7450/

#https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/technicolor-c2000t.html

thx!

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't connect to 2.4 but 5g still works?

Is your c2000t in passthrough mode? 
Also, you might try factory resetting the router and reinstalling. Storms do great at breaking or corrupting things. It might have corrupted something in the settings. 

Message 2 of 5
virtualgeorge
Aspirant

Yes I believe so, transparent bridging, right? 

It took me a while to figure out how to configure the nighthawk modem several years ago initially, but I suppose I could just screenshot the current settings and then reset & try again to re-enter the settings?  

thx much!!

Message 3 of 5

@virtualgeorge wrote:

I have centurylink and a C2000T modem. I have a Nighthawk 7450 dual band that has been working fine for years but after power outage I suddenly can't connect any of my devices to the 2.4 network. Seems like I see errors on connections using 5g but it still seems to work.

I assume that this Nighthawk 7450 is a router of some sort. (That isn't a model number that I recognise.)

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 4 of 5
virtualgeorge
Aspirant

Thought I posted a link to the router R7450
https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/r7450/

Thanks, I will try the restart order you mentioned. I did that but left a couple computers turned on.  This has happened a few times over the years when the network didn't restart right after a power outage and after updating the firmware on my dual band router it comes up. However, prob not a firmware issue but just rebooting that router last helped like you suggested. 

Thanks for all the info!!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7