Can't connect to internet via 2.4Ghz radio from W10 computer - need to reboot router

gtmtnbiker
Aspirant

Can't connect to internet via 2.4Ghz radio from W10 computer - need to reboot router

Running the latest firmware, I will see occasional issue (once per month?) where the 2 Windows 10 computers will not be able to connect the internet via the 2.4Ghz radio.  That is, they connect to the WiFi but there's no internet.  When the problem happens, I'm able to connect with an iPhone/Ipad.  I tried rebooting both Windows 10 computers but they still can't connect.  

I end up having to reboot the router to make it work.

While this is happening, I have no issues with the 5Ghz radio.  In fact, I can't ever recall not being able to access the internet on this, only with the 2.4Ghz radio.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Re: Can't connect to internet via 2.4Ghz radio from W10 computer - need to reboot router

@gtmtnbiker wrote:

the 2 Windows 10 computers will not be able to connect the internet via the 2.4Ghz radio.  That is, they connect to the WiFi but there's no internet.  When the problem happens, I'm able to connect with an iPhone/Ipad.  

It does sound like a Windows issue, but you don't say what the firmware is on the R8000.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Have you told Windows to forget the wifi connection (Manage known networks) and then recreated the link?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 9
gtmtnbiker
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect to internet via 2.4Ghz radio from W10 computer - need to reboot router

Ok, I'm running V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

No, I didn't try forget "WiFi connection".  It's weird that it happened to two different Windows machines at the same time.

Will try that the next time it happens.

So I'm just looking for tips to try the next time it happens to help diagnose the problem.  I did order a USB WiFi adapter that uses AC so I plan to get one of the computers off the 2.4 Ghz network.

Message 3 of 9
gtmtnbiker
Aspirant

I still continue to have this problem. In fact, it just happened again today.  It seems that the 2.4Ghz radio goes south.  The 5Ghz band is fine.  

My printer and ecobee thermostats can't connect.  Just tried the ipad and my phone.  Same issue.  

I think from reading other threads, the suggestion is to do a factory reset of the router.  I will try to find info on that and do that procedure.

Message 4 of 9
gtmtnbiker
Aspirant

I should also mention that the router is setup to auto-update to be on the latest version of the firmware.

Message 5 of 9

@gtmtnbiker wrote:

I should also mention that the router is setup to auto-update to be on the latest version of the firmware.

Not always a good idea.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@gtmtnbiker,

Two and two is not equal to 4 in your case.

"Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router " and "I should also mention that the router is setup to auto-update to be on the latest version of the firmware." which you say is " V1.0.4.18_10.1.49".

That is NOT the lastest, V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 is,

I suggest you go to SUPPORT, enter R8000, select it as a choice and press enter. Then under DOWNLOAD download V1.0.4.18_10.1.49. Unzip is somewhere. Auto-Update should have gotten it a long time ago. Don't know why it didn't, but that leads me to suspect some firmware corruption along with your problem as a possibility.

Since you have the f/w image down, I'd use a browser and then log into the router. From the router BACKUP SETTINGS page I'd use the REVERT TO FACTORY SETTINGS button to reset the router.

Once done, then using the ROUTER UPDATE page locate the unzipped .CHK file you d/l'ed and update the router and MANUALLY re-enter all settings. If you do not know what setings you had, take screen shots of all changed pages so you can refer to those when resetting up the router.

Message 7 of 9
gtmtnbiker
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

"Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router " and "I should also mention that the router is setup to auto-update to be on the latest version of the firmware." which you say is " V1.0.4.18_10.1.49".

That is NOT the lastest, V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 is,

My original post is from August so that version was the latest at that time.  As of today, December 18th, 2018, I'm on V1.0.4.28_10.1.54.  Since I reported the problem in August, I did have at least a couple of incidents where I lost the 2.4Ghz radio.  I would just reboot the router and it would be fine.  For the most recent incident (a few days ago) I decided to bite the bullet and factory reset the router.  I did save the configuration but entered the new data again by hand just to be sure.  Hopefully that fixes the issue.  If it does happen again, I will report to this thread.

@IrvSp wrote:

Since you have the f/w image down, I'd use a browser and then log into the router. From the router BACKUP SETTINGS page I'd use the REVERT TO FACTORY SETTINGS button to reset the router.

I used the paper clip 10 seconds method to factory reset.  Wasn't sure about the browser option so I wanted to be on the safe side.

So let's say that the problem does happen again.  What are my options then?  None, I guess other than:

1. Getting a different one to replace it.

2. Disable the 2.4Ghz radio and get another access point that does this only.

It stinks that we still have devices that need to use the 2.4Ghz radio.

Message 8 of 9

@gtmtnbiker,

Please see my reply in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R7000-Slow-WiFi-speed/m-p/1636231#...

Consider changing / setting a fixed broadcast channel for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.  You'll need some time to see if this helps and/or resolves the behavior.  It may also be wise to update the wireless drivers on both devices if possible.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E