Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't detect printer in ReadyShare printer on new PC - driver ver. different

CanadianGuy
Guide

Can't detect printer in ReadyShare printer on new PC - driver ver. different

I have a laser printer (USB only) connected to the USB port on my R7000P, and am able to access it through 2 other laptops. When I brought in a new PC and installed the ReadyShare utility on it, as well as installed the printer's USB driver to new PC via cable, the print utility comes up blank. Periodically will say its searching, but otherwise nothing. I noticed on the other 2 laptops that are connecting--in the 'about' details that the software version is 1.36 on all 3 devices, but the driver version is 1.83.85 on the laptops, but the driver version on the new PC is 1.83.0. I've checked the program files (86x) directory in both laptops, and compared to the directory in the new PC and all files are a match. The ReadyShare Print utility was a fresh download as of today from the Netgear site.

Any thoughts??

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CanadianGuy
Guide

Re: Can't detect printer in ReadyShare printer on new PC - driver ver. different

Got the official support response from BitDefender after getting the printer recognized. KB article here:  How to allow a Printer through Bitdefender firewall .

Normally 3rd pary firewall software I'd assume would be my own responsibility to figure out, but in this case it's the version of BitDefender that comes with the Netgear Armor subscription.

View solution in original post

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 5 of 5

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can't detect printer in ReadyShare printer on new PC - driver ver. different

Hi @CanadianGuy, have you tried copying over the program files from the working computers over to the new one? Also, try temporarily disabling any security software and see if the issue will persist.

Dexter

NETGEAR Team

Message 2 of 5
CanadianGuy
Guide

I did try replacing the program files (to no avail), but when I disabled my BitDefender firewall, the printer appears. I went in to the firewall settings and see that control center.exe has been allowed, and I've added an additional rule allowing svchost.exe, but I do get a message saying that 'System' (no file/path) has been blocked. We have 3 laptops, and the first 2 are also running BitDefender Total Security with no issues. Further thoughts?

Chris

Message 3 of 5
CanadianGuy
Guide

Finally got BitDefender Firewall to stop blocking the printer on the Netgear USB Control Center app (including enabling 'System' which lists no root folder). In the firewall settings I clicked 'Network Adapters' then 'Home/Office Networks' button at bottom AND 'Home/Office Networks' from the drop-down list (both initially set to 'Dynamic') and the the Control Center app immediately detected the USB printer. Good grief!

Chris

Message 4 of 5
CanadianGuy
Guide

Got the official support response from BitDefender after getting the printer recognized. KB article here:  How to allow a Printer through Bitdefender firewall .

Normally 3rd pary firewall software I'd assume would be my own responsibility to figure out, but in this case it's the version of BitDefender that comes with the Netgear Armor subscription.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7