Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't factory reset my Nighthawk X8

stivi_01
Aspirant

Can't factory reset my Nighthawk X8

Good morning all,

our Netgear R8300 suddenly stopped working while I was not at home a couple of weeks ago. I managed to set my wife up with a backup router.

Now that I am home I was trying to perform a factory reset first which doesn't seem to do anything.

When performing the factory reset nothing is happening until 13 seconds, then it will light up port LEDs 1 2 and 3 briefly then follows with the rest. 

after 1 minute or so the only LEDs I see are the power LED being red (orange) and the port I am plugged into the Router in white (currently port 3)

No other LEDs are on. After another 2 minutes or so it will again flash all the lights and then also leave the Guest WiFi LED on in white.

And this is the current state.

The Router doesn't give an IP Address, when assigning a static IP in the default 192.x range it doesn't respond to pings on the default IP (which was never changed).

I am not sure at this stage if there is anything else that can be done with this device? It was purchased in 2018 already so no warranty any more unfortunately. 

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,

Stefan

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: Can't factory reset my Nighthawk X8

This sounds to me like a bricked router. You most likely had the Automatic Firmware Update option on, which isn't really recommended on NG firmware due to its horrible bad state

You can perform a TFTP and see if you can debrick it

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
microchip8
Master

This sounds to me like a bricked router. You most likely had the Automatic Firmware Update option on, which isn't really recommended on NG firmware due to its horrible bad state

You can perform a TFTP and see if you can debrick it

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Message 2 of 3
stivi_01
Aspirant

Sorry for my late replay but a huge thanks to you. I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it in the kb myself.

this indeed worked. The router feels a bit sluggish but it should survive the next two weeks until I will replace it with a Ubqiuiti router anyways 🙂

thanks again for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7