Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get Time Machine to work with Nighthawk

foreignamerican
Aspirant

Sorry if I missed it, but has there been a solution to the Time Machine error message stating the disk image is read only (when trying to run a backup while the drive is connected to the router)?

Message 51 of 67
NotYetRated
Aspirant

This is one the most amazing  posts I have seen.  It works PERFECTLY.  Take you time and you can do it.  

One Q:  Does this solve the "identity has changed" problem that has plagued TimeMachine.  

Still weeping softly. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 52 of 67
grudek
Tutor

Please stop flooding, it's absolutely real problem, if you can't tell anything about it, please don't fill thread with useless comments, real help can be only in a way if you will test what you are posting, and not in the way "look to the list of recommnded disk manufactures" and so, you sure this will help? NOT. People here already wasted hours in surfing internet trying to solve

@IrvSp wrote:

What I don't understand about this whole deal is 'why' prior customers had to be the ones to suffer? There surely were ways around doing this? Such as:

•  2 individual Build lines:
  1.  For prior users before the inclusion of Armour. I also assume the features are also 'mature' and rarely needs fixing.
  2.  One that includes Armour but not features removed to make room for Armour.

I don't know the actual process (both management thought and coding support) that made this happen. However, once they stripped out the features, I assume:

• They have the base router functions in a block of code.
  • They then added in Armour, and since they probably didn't own the product, they did get a BINARY from the owner (Bitdefender). Probably need some added calles to Armour in the base router function code that could be handled easily depending on what was built or a two-pass method to build both versions at once.
  • Features removed are independent from the base router functions, that is they have nothing to do with router base functions (DHCP, Wireless operation, etc.)

Assuming the above is correct, having 2 build lines would be reasonable. Also assuming that the core features they removed are stable and rarely require fixes. In that case, the build could actually have 3 parts, the base router code (with maybe of IF/THEN's to go around some calls for each part not in the base or block calls for some things not in one or the other 2nd parts to be built/included. Sure, there might be added final testing needed, but with what appears to be the ability of NG's testing of new f/w being, at best minimal, it can't be much cost/overhead to the process.

That build process would allow old users and new users the ability to include on THEIR routers what functions they wanted. It would have shown (to me at least) NG's RESPECT and COMMITMENT to ALL users of their products.

Yes, I over simplified it, but the basic method could have been done, if one wanted too.

REAL problem.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 53 of 67
rsneddis
Aspirant

I followed all the instructions, and the backups worked when directly connected to the drive, but once I connect it to the router it starts preparing the back up and then I get the following error... "backup disk not available. Try backing up again when TimeMachine" is available." I can see the drive connected through the finder.

I'm on an RAX45 (costco) and have firmware V1.0.2.72_2.0.45

Message 54 of 67
grudek
Tutor

Hi, don't use manual it's completely wrong. Use afp://routerlogin.net and all will be OK.

@rsneddis wrote:

I followed all the instructions, and the backups worked when directly connected to the drive, but once I connect it to the router it starts preparing the back up and then I get the following error... "backup disk not available. Try backing up again when TimeMachine" is available." I can see the drive connected through the finder.

I'm on an RAX45 (costco) and have firmware V1.0.2.72_2.0.45

Message 55 of 67
rsneddis
Aspirant

where do I use the afp?

Message 56 of 67
grudek
Tutor

In Manual 

• On a Mac: Go > Connect to Server >type: smb: //readyshare

In Reality smb is not fully supported by Apple change smb: to afp: and your disk will be visible and you will have stable backup.

can be afp://readyshare or afp://routerlogin.net

Message 57 of 67
rsneddis
Aspirant

smb://readyshare does add readyshare to the lhs in the finder, and then I can open the timemachine.dmg and see it in the time machine config, but afp://readyshare or afp://routerlogin.net returns an error

Message 58 of 67
grudek
Tutor

Strange, So this mean I can't help.

Message 59 of 67
purplecoffee
Aspirant

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write those thorough and detailed instructions! This worked for me on a Nighthawk R7900P with a Seagate external USB hub.

The soft weeping is for joy.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 60 of 67
jandro30
Aspirant

@grudek wrote:

In Manual 

• On a Mac: Go > Connect to Server >type: smb: //readyshare

In Reality smb is not fully supported by Apple change smb: to afp: and your disk will be visible and you will have stable backup.

can be afp://readyshare or afp://routerlogin.net

Thank you. This worked for me on an R7800.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 61 of 67
Frjttr
Aspirant

Rif.: Can't get Time Machine to work with Nighthawk

Hi Guys, I finally made it for my Mac to backup anywhere.

I used part of this guide to create a sparsebundle. Then I have put the sparsebundle (remember, it must be formatted the same as the main drive, preferring cryptography if FileVault is on, and choosing a max size). Copy the sparsebundle in any read/write folder on the network drive. Now you can force set the sparsebundle on Terminal. First mount it opening it, and then digit this command on Terminal:

sudo tmutil setdestination /Volumes/VolumeName

Where VolumeName should be eth0MACaddress_hostname.

Now Time Machine is forced to backup on that sparsebundle.

Keep a relyiable link between the Mac and the router or it will get easily get disconnected, LAN is advised for first backup.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 62 of 67
Ernes1ca
Aspirant

Well, all of you missing one step.

This must happen when your mac detects your storage meant to be used as a Time Machine backup in the left panel of Finder window.

To enter into Safari the address of afp://routerlogin.net 

The access must be as admin. The admin privileges are the same as for your router admin/password.

Anyway, here is the link where is clearly described how-to: 

https://kb.netgear.com/24067/How-do-I-use-Time-machine-to-back-up-my-MAC-onto-a-USB-hard-drive-attac...

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 63 of 67
Ruski1000
Aspirant

Worked like a charm,  you are brilliant !!!!

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 64 of 67
Ernes1ca
Aspirant

Well, who's that person?

Message 65 of 67
Ruski1000
Aspirant

Its wkuchrisn

Message 66 of 67