Re: Can't get better download speed than 150 on my 1 Gb account

rudeamy
Follower

Can't get better download speed than 150 on my 1 Gb account

Hey All:

We've tried everything to improve our Wifi speeds. We've had Spectrum out to our house several times and they confirm that our upload speeds align with the 1 Gb speed we are paying for. However, our Wifi download speed is never any better than about 150 Mbps, when it should be significantly higher. We're going to connect my computer to the router with an ethernet to see if speeds are better, but for now, our Nighthawk router doesn't seem to be set up correctly (or at least not working as expected). Some things we've done:

• Updated all of our cabling inside and outside the house from the street to the modem
  • Rebooted the Nighthawk router
  • Ensured that all updates to firmware have been installed
  • Had Spectrum out to review the situation several times -- they don't support our router so they can't give us advice on it.

We feel like, if we can't get better speeds (even in the 300-600 Mbps via Wifi), we don't want to hold onto this router -- we'll just pay for whatever Spectrum provides.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to get improved speeds? Apologies if my technology references aren't quite right -- this is a bit beyond my knowledge level (thus my message on this board).

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

@rudeamy wrote:

Hey All:

We've tried everything to improve our Wifi speeds. We've had Spectrum out to our house several times and they confirm that our upload speeds align with the 1 Gb speed we are paying for. However, our Wifi download speed is never any better than about 150 Mbps, when it should be significantly higher.

What makes you think that your wifi speeds "should be significantly higher"?

Maybe something else is slowing you down. Does the speed you get obstruct what you want to do, or are you just looking at the numbers?

Wifi speeds have not much to do with your unnamed router and even less to do with the Internet connection.

Next to nothing you can buy now will deliver wifi at 1 Gbps. Noit much comes anywhere near it.

The biggest factor with wifi speeds is the capability of your wifi clients. Some will never exceed 150 Mbps, because that is how they were designed.

You don't say what wifi devices you are using, so heaven only knows what they can deliver. Have you taken them somewhere else and got much better speeds?

This might be worth reading:

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
labatt
Prodigy

@michaelkenward 

Duckware has done a great job is collecting all the facts IMHO. Smiley Wink I reference him as well. 

Modem CM2050V
Message 3 of 4

Yes, @duckware knows their onions when it comes to wifi, and probably other things.

I'm not sure that all of the people who turn up here with those "why is my wifi so slow?" questions have the staying power to get through it. The page certainly makes my brain hurt.

It does not help that, as that page explains, the people who sell routers mislead people with their fake marketing numbers.

Let's hope it deals with the query from @rudeamy 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements