Re: Can't reach Internet when I specify DNS

newbienetwork
Follower

Can't reach Internet when I specify DNS

Hello! 

I'm currently running the newest firmware version 1.0.2.62. I have a pihole setup on a raspberry pi on the network, but whenever I try to specify it as the DNS server for the router, it loses connectivity to the internet. 

I thought it may have been my pihole at first, but when I try it specifying any other public DNS servers (OpenDNS, Cloudflare) as my default DNS, my router refuses to connect to the internet. 

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Thank you in advance!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
IrvSp
Master

People have had DNS problems with that release (search forum for V1.0.2.62). Probably need to go back one f/w version. D/L it from the Support page, login to the router using a Browser and then on the ROUTER UPDATE page, locate the UNZIPped file from the ZIP you d/l'ed and OK and accept you are trying to install an older firmware. Let it boot up and try. When backleveling firmware sometimes you have to a RESET (not a power off/on) and reenter MANYUALLY all settings.

Message 2 of 6

@IrvSp wrote:

People have had DNS problems with that release (search forum for V1.0.2.62).

Yes, but these problems are associated with specific configurations:

R7800 Latest Firmware Issue - DO NOT UPDATE TO V1.... - NETGEAR Communities

You may need to read through to the end: pihole is a common theme.

Netgear has been told about this. Heaven only knows if anyone there will pay any attention.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 6

PS Just added this to "messages to the Netgear team.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

We have esclated this issue with the DNS to our engineers we will let you know if we have any updates.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 5 of 6
Kamoj
Apprentice

Voxels enhanced FW based on Netgear 1.0.2.62 does not have the DNS bug:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-63sf.54782/page-2#post-462...

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements