× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't reset my router R6220 / AC1200 Dual Radio

Xavi2503
Aspirant

Can't reset my router R6220 / AC1200 Dual Radio

Hi all, 

So i am having some troubles with my R6220 router as when i want to reset it won't go to factory settings!

I tried everything 7 second reset, 30-30-30 reset, long reset but unfortunally it wont give me any acces.

As when i plug in the internet cable from my provider i do have acces to the internet but if i want to acces it by its own ip it wont show. 

What am i doing wrong ? can somebody advise me please

Model: R6220v2|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Xavi2503
Aspirant

Re: Can't reset my router R6220 / AC1200 Dual Radio

Finally I managed to resolve this item as it looked like the R6220 was in a sort of AP mode that wouldn't grand me acces wired from oc to the r6220. How ever I went to the internet settings of my laptop and set an static IP adres using the default gateway settings on the r6220. Once I went to the browser from that moment on i got acces to the router and could set everything correct

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

See if you can get to the routers web page at 192.168.1.1

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 18
Xavi2503
Aspirant

Nope not working nether that's the thing it gets a whole other ip
Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the IP address the PC gets when connect to the router after the reset? 

Message 4 of 18
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway are you connecting it to? 

Disconnect it from that gateway, then factory reset the router and try it. 

From the sound of what you're saying, its getting a different IP address from the default. 

That'd indicate you gateway is a modem router combo device and it causes a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 5 of 18
Xavi2503
Aspirant

That's the whole thing as you mentioned I have a router/modem from my provider that I use for 1 part of the house. The Netgear Will me further away as 2th router. But it very strange as not matter what I try it won't reset that I can acces to its own Netgear menu. I disconnected the cable from the provider router and only connected a cable by lan to a laptop. Then I power the Netgear router on and pressed the reset button on the back for at least 7 seconds I even pressed it for 20 and 30 seconds and also did the 30-30-30 reset l. But everytime it restarts its in the de same mode and with the same IP that I can't acces using a laptop
Message 6 of 18
plemans
Guru

what ip address is it assigning to the gateway? 

What ip address is it assigning ot the laptop you connect? 

What error is it giving you? 

have you tried a different browser/device to connect to it? 

Message 7 of 18
Xavi2503
Aspirant

Tried everyting different browser, differten ways of resetting but strange enough i can't acces the router. 

these are the details i get performing the ipconfig in cmd

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 94-57-A5-B1-BB-0E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3d19:e0f:e0c:9fba%15(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.159.186(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 244602789
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-F9-29-F3-94-57-A5-B1-BB-0E
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

The thing is that i can't reset the router manually nether acces its own menu by the default IP adress

Message 8 of 18

@Xavi2503 wrote:
That's the whole thing as you mentioned I have a router/modem from my provider that I use for 1 part of the house.

What is this router/modem from your provider?

@Xavi2503 wrote:
The Netgear Will me further away as 2th router. But it very strange as not matter what I try it won't reset that I can acces to its own Netgear menu.

I can't understand that.

Is the R6220 wired to the modem/router? If the manual is correct, it cannot operate as a wifi repeater.

To avoid the sort of problem you see, your R6220 should be in wireless access point (AP) mode.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

@plemans has already suggested this. I suggest it again because you didn't answer their question about your modem or respond to the AP suggestion.

It may have been in AP mode at some stage, but as you have been playing around with the router, the reset will have put it into router mode.

If you can't access the browser graphical user interface (GUI) simply by connec ting it to a PC and  nothing else, then Windows may have peformed one of its magic tricks and messed up your Ethernet settings.

If you have a wifi deviuce that can see the SSIDs from the router, try that way in with a browser.

Message 9 of 18
Xavi2503
Aspirant

Finally I managed to resolve this item as it looked like the R6220 was in a sort of AP mode that wouldn't grand me acces wired from oc to the r6220. How ever I went to the internet settings of my laptop and set an static IP adres using the default gateway settings on the r6220. Once I went to the browser from that moment on i got acces to the router and could set everything correct
Message 10 of 18
Zilork
Aspirant

I'm having a similar issue as you. I have internet access through the WiFi of the netgear router when connected to my ISP modem but I cant connect to the router itself to modify any settings over a LAN cable. I have tried an assortment of IPs. I have gone into my ISP modems connected device list and filtered all available connected devices.

Moreover, I am unable to reset the R6220. I press and hold the reset switch for 10 seconds and the device reboots but weirdly enough the WiFi SSID it's broadcasting just resumes.

@Xavi2503 Can you elaborate how you were able to fix this?

Thanks

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 11 of 18

@Zilork wrote:

I'm having a similar issue as you. I have internet access through the WiFi of the netgear router when connected to my ISP modem but I cant connect to the router itself to modify any settings over a LAN cable.

What is this ISP modem ? If it is a modem.router that would explain why you cant access it to modify settings.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 12 of 18
Zilork
Aspirant

While I was troubleshooting, I had nothing but my laptop connected over ethernet.

It is running in AP mode and I've tried resetting it multiple times but it's stuck in this mode. It just refuses to reset.

To answer your question though, it was connected to a Jio Centrum Fibre ONT. I was actually meaning to switch that ONT to bridge mode.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 13 of 18

@Zilork wrote:

It is running in AP mode and I've tried resetting it multiple times but it's stuck in this mode. It just refuses to reset.

Try a "factory reset".

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

To answer your question though, it was connected to a Jio Centrum Fibre ONT. I was actually meaning to switch that ONT to bridge mode.

"Jio Centrum Fibre ONT" says very litle about the actual hardware you are using. But a genuine ONT usually has no router functions and does not have a "bridge" mode.

Message 14 of 18
Xavi2503
Aspirant

@Zilork yes see my last post with solution mentioned
Message 15 of 18

@Xavi2503 wrote:
@Zilork yes see my last post with solution mentioned

It isn't clear to me what you actually did. Talk of "a sort of AP mode" isn't a great deal of help when trying to understand solutions.

One reason why people cannot get into the graphical user interface (GUI) on a router is that it is in access point mode.

In that case, the AP does not have the usual IP address and will not respond to the usual.

The solution is not usually to mess around with IP addresses but to do a "hard" factory reset, using the "button" on the back of the thing. It will then go into the default router mode, which should allow you into the GUI.

Another way into an AP is to look for the IP address from the wifi. The use that as the entry point into the GUI. It is just easier to reset. After all, there won't be much in the way of saved settings with an AP.

Message 16 of 18
Xavi2503
Aspirant

Hi Micheal,

Well my apologies for my bad english as i do my best. 

However the solution in this case was not a "hard" factory reset, by using the "button" on the back of router as i spend over 3 days to reset this without any luck. 

What i did see is that when i requested the router(R6220) information in ms dos typing ipconfig/all i was getting the information from the modem from my provider. Even if the modem was disconnected from the router(R6220) i was getting the same information.

On the back of the router(R6220) i saw an whole different ip address and at one moment by checking again the router(R6220) information i saw that the default gateway was different. So i entered an static ip address on my laptop using the default gateway information from the router(R6220) and made an connection with the router by using the ip address on the back and it granted me acces. 

From that moment on i was able to change everything on the menu of the router(R6220) that was set as an wired Acces Point. 

This is the best i can explain what i did it did solve for me the problem 

Message 17 of 18

@Xavi2503 wrote:

However the solution in this case was not a "hard" factory reset, by using the "button" on the back of router as i spend over 3 days to reset this without any luck. 

There is nothing wrong with the approach that you described. But it is not straightforward and is too complicated for what some people want to achieve. It is not necessary if you just want to regain control of a router.

The "physical" reset takes about a minute. I suggested that to @Zilork because it is easy.

It is also the way that Netgear suggests doing it:

How to reconfigure your router from Access Point mode to default router mode | Answer | NETGEAR Supp...

As it is, we do not know if your router was in AP mode. Your description was not clear.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7