Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't reset router, connect devices, internet working wifi but not ethernet, amber light on inte

MAFPR
Aspirant

Can't reset router, connect devices, internet working wifi but not ethernet, amber light on internet

Wifi Connectivity was down. When I check it up internet led blinking amber. Disconnect Router and Modem, after connecting it back again wifi radio was off. By that time I was able to log in to the router. After doind a fix with netgear genie said DHCP not working. This is what I have righ now:

1. Internet blinking amber

2. If I connect the ethernet to the computer it does not have internet connection but with the modem ethernet directly to the computer I have internet

3. ONly my laptop is able to connect via wifi with the router. The tv, celphones, and other devices are not able to connect via wifi and celphones says it cannot find IP

4. Using the computer I tried to log in to the router but genie says DNS server not responding or not founds. And putting any number 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or went to command promp and the IP addres IPv4 given and put it as a domain and nothing.

5. Try to reset the router. Push the bottom for 5, 9, 10, 30 seconds and not even a blink in the power led. It does not want to reset.

Any ideas of what else can I try?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
MAFPR
Aspirant

Re: Can't reset router, connect devices, internet working wifi but not ethernet, amber light on inte

OK everyone sorry for all the confusion with all the Ip addesses and weird gateway codes. The router was in in Access Point mode. Most of the features are disable with this mode and even the router reset button did not want to work. A friend of mine check it out and had to reset it using another router (once he figure it out that the router was behaving as an access point it was a 10 minute fix). After resetting it, even the reset button was working.

What I learned. If you do not have an extra back-up router, do not mess with the router. 

Thanks everyone for trying. have a nice day

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 22

All Replies
PammyGi
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue....anybody have any suggestions?

Message 2 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

Have no idea why it says this in the network map info of the router

Router Model N/A

IP Address: 50.130.90.1

MAC Address: C8:4C:75:77:7B:E2

Firmware Version: N/A

Message 3 of 22
VE6CGX
Master

Sounds weird but power off the router and wait overnight and try to reset it after powering it back up.

Message 4 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

Left the router off all day turn it back on, stayed the same

Message 5 of 22
VE6CGX
Master

Are you using Genie? Forget Genie for the time being. Windows help file will tell you how to use ping command. Also ipconfig  command

Sounds like you can still connect to router via WiFi. Try  ipconfig /release     ipconfig /renew        ipconfig /all   these 3 comands and what

do you get after third command?

Message 6 of 22
VE6CGX
Master

Is the MAC address that of your router?  using that ip address, try to ping the router.

Message 7 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

After doing the release I do not have internet connection unless I select apply fix and it goes back to the previous status. Is there something specific you want me to type?

Message 8 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

Since I have the ethernet and the wireless connection I tried to pin both

1. for ethernet gateway fe80::ca4c:75ff:fe77:7be2%10
Sent=4 received=0 100% lost

For wireless Ip 50.130.90.1 

Sent=4 received =1 75% lost

Message 9 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

Sorry foe default gateway it says:

fe80::ca4c:75ff:fe77:7be2%10

ipv4 Address: 50.130.90.1 

Message 10 of 22
VE6CGX
Master

Is that MAC address matches the router's MAC? For some reason, looks like the router firmware is hosed. By any chance did you have power failure or lightning strike nearby? Try to use that ip address to log into the router and see what happens.

Message 11 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

if I put the gateway in the browser it does not fid anything. Same with 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or any other that I have tried. For some reason the gateway in CMD ipconfig is

fe80::ca4c:75ff:fe77:7be2%10

The 50.130.90.1  seems to be the computer's IP address. I will have to check that out. As far as power failure, I will say yes but it was working fine after that. Unless there was a power failure sunday while I was out. But before, the router was working good the whole weekend.

Message 12 of 22
IrvSp
Master

Is Comcast your ISP??? That is who owns the IP Address 50.130.90.1.

I wonder if you are wireless and actually connected to the MODEM, not the Router? 192.168.100.1 might work to connect to the Modem, admin and password would get you in, especially if the modem is a Surfboard or Arris.

Message 13 of 22
VE6CGX
Master

Disconnect everything from the router and try to reset it?

Message 14 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

IRVSP:

Yes Comcast is my provider.

I will try that when I return home. Now can I reset the router wihout been connected to the internet, just using the wifi signal?

Message 15 of 22
IrvSp
Master

Yes, IF and that is probably the problem, you can get to the router on a browser under Advanced --> Router Status, under Router Information is a reboot.

Otherwise, the RESET button, the hidden one, on the back, stick a pen in the hole and hold it in at least 30 seconds or until the power light starts to blink.

Better yet, power of both modem and router after the router reset. Then power on the modem and when up, the router. See what happens but you'll probably need to add back in the router settings, at least the password and maybe change the SSID to what you had before as well as the security on the bands.

Message 16 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

OK I will going on the web.

The reset button on the back of the router is not working. I have tried that for a few time for 30 seconds, 1 minute. not working. Iwhen you say: "you can get to the router on a browser under Advanced --> Router Status, under Router Information is a reboot."  you mean loggin to my router? because I cant do that just FYI

Message 17 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@MAFPR wrote:

OK I will going on the web.

The reset button on the back of the router is not working. I have tried that for a few time for 30 seconds, 1 minute. not working. Iwhen you say: "you can get to the router on a browser under Advanced --> Router Status, under Router Information is a reboot."  you mean loggin to my router? because I cant do that just FYI

Well it that button isn't working that one has to think the whole router isn't working either?

An IPCONFIG entered at a command prompt will show the IP Address of the device that it connects too...

===============

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5824:8732:3f2c:ea8c%15
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

================

My output is above and my PC is at 192.168.1.30 and the gateway is the router address.

If you are seeing 50.xxx.xxx.xxx for the IPV4 address then you are not connected to the router and can't get to its web page. If it isn't that, then just drop off the last digits after the last . and use a 1 in its place and enter that address into the web browser, that should get you in.

Message 18 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

OK I have some news. I wrote in the browser 198.162.100.1 and, instead of connecting with the route, I am looking at the modem's information. Anyone know what's next?

Message 19 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

Yes Irvsp I have an Arris, so far I can connect to the modem, still I have no idea what's next.

Message 20 of 22
IrvSp
Master

All that shows is that your are getting to the modem. There is no 'real' information on the modem as to what is connected to it that I can find on mine?

I am still confused over your responses?

====================

Have no idea why it says this in the network map info of the router

Router Model N/A

IP Address: 50.130.90.1

MAC Address: C8:4C:75:77:7B:E2

Firmware Version: N/A

===============

Where did you see this? On the router using a browser or the desktop Genie?

===============

Since I have the ethernet and the wireless connection I tried to pin both

1. for ethernet gateway fe80::ca4c:75ff:fe77:7be2%10
Sent=4 received=0 100% lost

For wireless Ip 50.130.90.1 

Sent=4 received =1 75% lost

================

Unless you have IPv6 enabled the first part will fail. 2nd part should not lose anything?

Can you copy and paste the full output of IPCONFIG in a command prompt here please. That IP Address of 50.130.90.1 is odd, never should end with a .1 for something on a LAN unless there were some 'unusual' changes made on the router to enable that, such as moving the router IP Address?

I also checked the MAC Address of C8:4C:75:77:7B:E2 and that is a CISCO device, not a PC...

If you can't do this I suspect you have a damaged router, especially since the reset button doesn't work?

Message 21 of 22
MAFPR
Aspirant

OK everyone sorry for all the confusion with all the Ip addesses and weird gateway codes. The router was in in Access Point mode. Most of the features are disable with this mode and even the router reset button did not want to work. A friend of mine check it out and had to reset it using another router (once he figure it out that the router was behaving as an access point it was a 10 minute fix). After resetting it, even the reset button was working.

What I learned. If you do not have an extra back-up router, do not mess with the router. 

Thanks everyone for trying. have a nice day

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7