Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't sign on to 2.4g

Firecapt
Aspirant

Can't sign on to 2.4g

Just got a doorbell camera and when trying to install it, found I couldn't sign-on to 2.4g (the camera only works on 2.4g).

Tried signing on with several phones and they won't sign-on either (I get an authentication error).

Reset the router and still no joy.  I have the latest firmware installed.

Any ideas?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Firecapt
Aspirant

Tried that mulitple times.  Talked to a tech yesterday and after explaining what I had tried (the whole 9 yards) he decided it is a hardware issue.  I have already returned the router for a replacement (warrenty).

Thanks for your help!Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies

@Firecapt wrote:

Just got a doorbell camera and when trying to install it, found I couldn't sign-on to 2.4g (the camera only works on 2.4g).

Make and model?

@Firecapt wrote:

Tried signing on with several phones and they won't sign-on either (I get an authentication error).

Signing in with what?

Any ideas?

Tried asking the camera maker?

Message 2 of 12
Firecapt
Aspirant

The phones were Samsung & Motorola, the doorbell is a Simpli Safe.  I have also tried a TV and an Ipod.  It's not the devices, it's the router.  Even though the router broadcasts the 2.4G I am unable to connect with any device, otherwise the router is working normally.

Message 3 of 12

So, you cannot connect to the wifi with a smartphone?

Sort that out before worrying about the doorbell.

Has the 2.4 GHz wifi ever worked?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

What is the nature of the authentication error?

There is support, including a manual, for the R7900P at the end of this link:

>>>> Nighthawk X6S R7900P | AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router <<<<

Is the 2.4 GHz security as it should be.

You say you have "reset" the device. Is that a simple power (on/off) cycle? Or did you do the paperclip in the pinhole move? If the latter, do not reload any backup of your settings.

Message 4 of 12
Firecapt
Aspirant

The current firmware is Version 1.4.1.30_1.2.26.  When I said reset I meant to factory defaults and then re-entered all of my info manually.

The 2.4 GHz security is WPA2-PSK [AES]; and yes, the 2.4 GHz did work normally when I first bought the router (about 8 months ago).  All of my devices are set to use 5 GHz or 5GHz-2 so I haven't had occasion to use or need 2.4 GHz for a long time; that's why I hadn't noticed that I couldn't connect through it.

Both 5 GHz & 5 GHz-2 are working perfectly and my smart phones (and other devices) are able to connect using one of them.

There is no error code specificed nor other explanation other than "Authentication error"

Message 5 of 12

I see that they have added "smart connect"  to this router.

Have you tried toggling it off (or on)?

Message 6 of 12
Firecapt
Aspirant

Yes tried toggeling Smart Connect with no joy

Message 7 of 12
Firecapt
Aspirant

Tried to connect to 2.4 GHz using my laptop, no joy, just says: Cannot connect to network.

Message 8 of 12
myersw
Master

Just a thought. Hope you are not getting real creative with the pass phrase for the wireless. While some extra characters can be used it is smartest to stay with alphanumeric and no spaces of course. 

Message 9 of 12
Firecapt
Aspirant

Thanks Bill,

I had already tried with only alphanumeric and with no security (password) at all and still no joy.

Message 10 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to make the SSID different than what you normally use?

DarrenM

Message 11 of 12
Firecapt
Aspirant

Tried that mulitple times.  Talked to a tech yesterday and after explaining what I had tried (the whole 9 yards) he decided it is a hardware issue.  I have already returned the router for a replacement (warrenty).

Thanks for your help!Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7