Re: Can the R7000 work in bridge mode with the Orbi

Paul-15D
Aspirant

Can the R7000 work in bridge mode with the Orbi

The nighthawk was replaced by a Ziggo modem. With a new desktop the old desktop had no internet connection. So I took the nighthawk off the shelf and tried to get it in bridge mode. The nighthawk was not part of my network.

When connected to the desktop I have no internet and desktop connected to the Ziggo modem I have no connectiion with the nighthawk.

I also tried to use a laptop but then I can try several methods to connect the three devices with different results. Only once I got a loginscreen but never got the possibility to go to the advanced features. 

What I have: desktop and laptop connected to the internet by means of the Ziggo modem. And of course the nighthawk without internet connection.

What I want is the Ziggo for the desktop (wired) and laptop and tablet and phones connected by WIFI. The nighthawk must serve the old desktop (wired) in bridge mode somewhere under the roof.

How on earth can I fix that?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Your subject line mentions Orbi, but you don't mention it in your post?

Anyway, bridge mode means something very specific on Nighthawk routers, at least on the R7000.  It connects one or more wired devices to a Wi-Fi network.  Bridge mode cannot support Wi-Fi clients, so you can use it with your old desktop, but it won't work with the tablet and phones.

If you want to simultaneously support both wired and wireless clients on the R7000 and for the R7000 to have a wireless connection to a Wi-Fi network, then you'll need to operate the R7000 as a repeater.  The stock firmware doesn't really have a usable repeater mode.  For that, you'll need third-party firmware, like Asuswrt-Merlin or Tomato.  I use Asuswrt-Merlin, though not for its repeater mode, and it's very stable.

Your other option is to connect the R7000 to the network via a wired connection (Ethernet, MoCA over coax or even Powerline (not really recommended, but I mention it for completeness).  Then you can simply set up the R7000 as an Access Point (AP) by enabling AP mode in advanced settings.  Then you can connect both wired and wireless clients.

Message 2 of 15
antinode
Guru

> The nighthawk was replaced by a Ziggo modem.

Which "a Ziggo modem"?  Model number?  Is it a modem or a
modem+router?

> With a new desktop the old desktop had no internet connection.

I don't know what that means.  What is "a new desktop"?  What is "the
old desktop"?  How are they connected to what?

> [...] I took the nighthawk off the shelf and tried to get it in bridge
> mode.

You're several steps ahead of me.  What, exactly, are you trying to
do?  What works now?

Message 3 of 15
Paul-15D
Aspirant

The subject is the wrong one, I wanted to exclude this from the list.

The Nighthawk will be positioned in the attic and it is not really possible to connect it with the Ziggo AP.

Only computers without WIFI will be connected to it.

Thanks for your reply

Paul-15D

Message 4 of 15
Paul-15D
Aspirant

Hello antinode

The Ziggo is something Chinese, CH7465LG-ZG, and it does what the nighthawk did. It accepts the incoming Internet signals and passes them with LAN or WIFI to whatever device that needs the signals.

The nighthawk must be positioned in the attic and pass the WIFI signals received from the CH7465LG-ZG to the computers by means of a wired LAN connection. Therefore nighthawk communicates with the CH7... only by WIFI because no wired connection between the two is possible. In turn the nighthawk communicates with the computers by wire only.

My old desktop was built with ASUS parts and an Intel processor. The only way to get to the internet was by wire.

My new desktop is again built with ASUS tools but this time with a RYZEN processor but again like.most desktops only a wired conection to the internet is possible.

Do hope that this will enable you to help me.

Kind regards

Paul-15D

Message 5 of 15
antinode
Guru

> The Ziggo is something Chinese, [...]

Isn't everything?  Ok.  Its a wireless router.

> [...] nighthawk communicates with the CH7... only by WIFI because no
> wired connection between the two is possible. In turn the nighthawk
> communicates with the computers by wire only.

Ok.  It sounds as if what you want is to put the R7000 into bridge
mode (as you said).  This should work with any wireless router,
including your Ziggo.  The User Manual for the R7000 has a section on
how to configure it: "Set Up the Router in Bridge Mode".

Message 6 of 15
Paul-15D
Aspirant

The manual doesn't get my situation right..

Please note that the Chinese thing gets the signal direct from the cable. It is modem and router in one. The nighthawk is not yet connected to anything.

If I use a computer my LAN goes to the chinese thing to access the internet and I have no means left for communication with the nighthawk.

I have tried to use the laptop, making a wireless connection with the nighthawk and a wired one with the chinese AP, all without success.

Wish there could have been a direct USB way to connect R7000 and computer.

Message 7 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Sorry, but it's not clear what your situation is. I think it's the following. You want the R7000 to have a Wi-Fi connection to your Chinese modem router, and you want to wire a computer to the R7000, right? The R7000's bridge mode will accomplish that. So, what's different about your situation?

Is the problem that you aren't able to put the R7000 into bridge mode? Connect a computer and connect to the R7000's Wi-Fi or LAN port.  The R7000 doesn't need to be connected to anything else.  The R7000's default IP address is 192.168.1.1, so enter that into your browser. The default username and password are admin and password.  Enable bridge mode and follow the instructions to connect the R7000 to the Chinese modem router's Wi-Fi network.  Save your changes.  Now connect a computer to one of the R7000 LAN ports and see if you can connect to the Internet.

If this doesn't work, be specific about what you tried and what you saw (e.g. error messages).

Message 8 of 15
Paul-15D
Aspirant

The manual spoke about a network and combined with the internet address I assumed that I needed an internet connection.

Your advice was clear and specific, just the computer and the router. I hoped it would work and I did get the menu but somewhere I got lost.

I have now tried almost anything, the desktop computer with lan, laptop with lan or wifi and a second laptop but all I could get was an error, 105, unable to find the website. I think I have another problem now. When I start the router it is with the red led on 1 (on) and with lan the white led on lan1.when I try to get connected to the router it shows white leds on 1 and 3 and 11 and 12.

I have also tried desktop genie but it couldn't find the router. And to get things worse when I try to reset the router the led won't blink.

Message 9 of 15
TheEther
Guru

@Paul-15D wrote:

The manual spoke about a network and combined with the internet address I assumed that I needed an internet connection.

Your advice was clear and specific, just the computer and the router. I hoped it would work and I did get the menu but somewhere I got lost.

I know it may be difficult, but can you remember where you got lost?  Can you recall what you did prior to that?  Were you able to enable bridge mode?  Did you succeed in connecting the R7000 to the Ziggo's Wi-Fi network?  Did you set up bridge mode to obtain an IP address automatically or did you manually enter one?

I have now tried almost anything, the desktop computer with lan, laptop with lan or wifi and a second laptop but all I could get was an error, 105, unable to find the website.

Are you using routerlogin.com or routerlogin.net to log into the R7000?  If so, then that might not work while the R7000 is in bridge mode.  Use R7000's IP address to log in.  If you set up bridge mode to automatically obtain an IP address then you may have to log into the Ziggo to see what address it has assigned to the R7000.  If you manually entered an IP address, then use that.  Hopefully, you wrote it down.

I think I have another problem now. When I start the router it is with the red led on 1 (on) and with lan the white led on lan1.when I try to get connected to the router it shows white leds on 1 and 3 and 11 and 12. 

11 and 12?  Can you clarify where you are seeing that?

I have also tried desktop genie but it couldn't find the router. And to get things worse when I try to reset the router the led won't blink. 

How long are you holding the reset button?  It should be around 8 to 10 seconds before the lights will blink.

Message 10 of 15
Paul-15D
Aspirant

Hello TheEther

11= WIFI on/off and 12= WPS

I don't think it is in bridge mode but if it is it does not have login for the Ziggo's WIFI.

I have tried all three possibilities; routerlogin.net and .com and the IP. What I get in return is an error code105,118 and101.

I connected the nightmare with the Toshiba and went away for dinner. When I returned I saw the netgear genie menu where I had to well wether or not to use automatic update and allow for the automatic collection of statistics. Did so and next gave www.routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm. It tried to detect another router and came back with: no ethernetcable plugged in, then the choice doyou want genie to try again or configure things yourself and I chose the latter option. After that I got the loginscreen and got the menu.

Then advanced and advanced settings.and you have two options; router/ap/bridge/mode for repetition and all down the list vlan/bridge.

I chose bridge and I never got the opportunity to enter the login for the Ziggo, instead I got err 105

I desperately try to get a common denominator but everytime the answer is unpredictable and that drives me ?

Message 11 of 15
TheEther
Guru

Honestly, it sounds like you touched the wrong setting. You are supposed to go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings. Scroll down and select "Use other operation mode" and then "Enable Bridge mode".
Message 12 of 15
Paul-15D
Aspirant

In the dutch menu after advanced-advanced setup, I looked for "bridge" and there are two menu items. The first is -router-ap-bridge-modus for.. and the second is vlan/bridge. After hours of trying to get to the menu I choose vlan/brige then bridge  In that menu I could choose the 4 lan ports and 5GHz operation. Then contact was lost.

What I do is: take one of the desktop computers or one of the laptops. make a connection by cable or WIFI, disable the firewall and use either Firefox or Maxthon to get into the menu. As was said I use the IP addrees first and then net and com until the menu shows up.

Today I have spent almost the whole day, 16:30 here now, and only once I was in that menu. I have seen countless err messages; 101, 102,105, 109 and 118. I haven't tried edge so far. I have always treated the router with tender loving care so why doesn't it respond to the call?

Message 13 of 15
TheEther
Guru

No, don't touch the VLAN/Bridge settings. That's the wrong bridge mode.

There is another bridge mode setting under advanced wireless settings.  Here is a screenshot of the instructions and a picture of what the setting looks like, in English unfortunately.  Hopefully, the Dutch menus are similar.

Message 14 of 15
Paul-15D
Aspirant

Hello TheEther,

Thank you for your remark Just a computer and the router. Since then I have spent countless hours trying to get the two to work together.

The router doesn't respond when connected by a LAN cable. It won't respond in 5GHz mode. Only the Toshiba and 2.4GHz made the connection.

The manual for the router is wrong for my router. The menues are different. It had to be wireless settings and then of the four choices the one to pick is Bridge. In the screen you get it is possible to choose apply for the bridge mode and if you do so you are lost. You have to dig deeper and choose apply there and then back.

I was very worried that because I had no possibility to connect in 5GHz mode I would not have a good connection when in bridge mode and I do have to check that but after all those hours I do have internet in the loft. First thing to do now is to check for a firmware update.

Not all the problems are solved but the router is in bridge mode and I have internet upstairs.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kindest regards

Paul-15D

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements