Cannot Access Two Websites!!!

jerrygerber
Aspirant

Cannot Access Two Websites!!!

Hello,

I have a very fast fiber optic internet connection with a R6700v2 router.  Several devices are conected via wireless, one computer connected via ethernet.

I cannot acces my own website or my wife's website.   They go down every day for a few minutes, then they are back up.  This only happens when connected to my router, if I connect via my Android cellular (bypassing router) there is no problem.

Both my ISP and my hosting company have looked into this and say there is absolutely no problem on their end, in fact every time they try to access our sites they are successful.  It seems to be related to only my router, that is the common denominator. 

How do I fix this?  I've tried turning router off and unplugging it.  I've tried deleting my Firefox cache and history.  I've looked at my router settings and cannot find anything suspcious.  Every other website, email, file-sharing, uploading and downloading work fine.  It's only the two sites named above.

Would much appreciate if anybody has a suggestion!!

Best,

Jerry

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot Access Two Websites!!!

have you tried changing dns providers?

You can try using google's at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4   or cloudfares at 1.1.1.1

I've seen issues where the ISP's dns provider doesn't work properly. 

What firmware are you on?

What modem are you using?

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 7
jerrygerber
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for replying!  I have the latest firmware installed in the router and there is no modem, fiber optic cable comes into house and is connected to router. 

Not sure how to change the DNS server, do I do it in the router config software?

Thanks,

Jerry

Message 3 of 7
jerrygerber
Aspirant

I changed the DNS server from automatic to the 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. that you suggested but it did not help...

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a different web browser?

Or a different PC?

another option would be to unhook the router and just directly connect to your fibre connection and see if it works. 

Message 5 of 7
jerrygerber
Aspirant

Yes, I just tried Chrome and it hasn't had the problem--yet.

My web hosting company insists that it is my browser that is attempting to open 48 connections at once, the maximum allowed is 20--after that the hosting company sees it as an attack and stops the website from loading.   I have no idea if this is true, but if it is, why would the latest version of Firefox attempt to open so many connections?  My router works flawlessly on every other site, email, file-sharing.  Weird, because I've been with the same hosting company for 20 years and have never had this issue.  I'll keep using Chrome and if it continues to work, problem solved.  If not, I'll have to consider changing hosts...

@plemans wrote:

Have you tried a different web browser?

Or a different PC?

another option would be to unhook the router and just directly connect to your fibre connection and see if it works. 

Thanks again!

Jerry

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad to see you've narrowed it down to a browser issue.  maybe one of the plugin's installed in firefox?

Another thing to check is if firefox has issues with all your pc's or just one. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E