Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Change SSID

pcourt
Tutor

Cannot Change SSID

I wanted to enable Smart Connect but the button was grayed out.  I realized that the SSID for 2.4 was different than for 5G and I assume that was the reason.  My 2.4G SSID is Peter7 and the 5G SSIDs are Peter7-5G-1 and Peter7-5G-2.

When I go to change them in the box, if I either click Enter or Apply, the name in the box just reverts back to Peter7-5G-1.  I've tried this numerous times.  Please help.

Thanks,

Peter

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cannot Change SSID

There is no need to manually reconfigure to one SSID before enabling Smart Connect. Might be a specific firmware or local config issue (as @DarrenM is assuming).

Ensure you run the latest/current firmware available fro www.netgear.com/support/ for your router model. Worst case, a factory reset might be advised.

When enbaling Smart Connect, only the first SSID (NEtwork Name) can be configured, all other radios take over the same configured name.

The effect you see is the default - why ever - non-Smart Connect enforcing specific network names (what does not make any sense oh Netgear!).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

What firmware version are you running?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

There is no need to manually reconfigure to one SSID before enabling Smart Connect. Might be a specific firmware or local config issue (as @DarrenM is assuming).

Ensure you run the latest/current firmware available fro www.netgear.com/support/ for your router model. Worst case, a factory reset might be advised.

When enbaling Smart Connect, only the first SSID (NEtwork Name) can be configured, all other radios take over the same configured name.

The effect you see is the default - why ever - non-Smart Connect enforcing specific network names (what does not make any sense oh Netgear!).

Message 3 of 7
pcourt
Tutor

Thanks for both responses.  The firmware is V1.0.4.28_10.1.54.  That's the latest according to the the Update function.

So if changing the SSIDs isn't required, that just expands the question to why I cannot select Smart Connect, in addition to not being able to change the SSID.

I'd rather not do a factory reset if I don't have to.  I have assigned a lot of IP addresses manually and updated the info on my devices and I'd rather not lose that info.  

Message 4 of 7
IrvSp
Master

That IS the latest for the R8000.

However people have reported problem with Smart Connect on that version. Prior to that release ONLY the 2 5Ghz were handled with Smart Connect when enabled. The new one, all 3 SSID's. People are having (at least with reports here) that it IS not working. All devices that are wireless not working well and some report all devices connect only to the 2.4Ghz SSID (but this could be USER ERROR as they don't understand only one SSID exists).

If you had Smart Connect enabled before updating this migth be a problem. Do a RESET, either with the reset hidden button or on the BACKUP SETTINGS page the REVER TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS (ERASE) button. This will clear everything and you'll need to re-setup the router. Do it MANUALLY, do NOT restore a saved configuration file, it might be corrupt.

Message 5 of 7
pcourt
Tutor

Thanks for the response.  I will try that this weekend.

Message 6 of 7
pcourt
Tutor

I was able to reset the router this weekend using the browser-based interface.  That cleared up everything and the Smart Connect button is now clickable.

And I can confirm the other poster's comment that with Smart Connect, you don't have to change each SSID and PW.  It does it automatically.

Thanks for all the help.  Great forum.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7