Cannot Connect to a Guest Wifi

whitedavidp
Novice

Cannot Connect to a Guest Wifi

Hello. Was at a friend's office yesterday and wanted to setup a guest wifi on his R7000. I enabled the wifi-g guest, added an ssid, password, etc. Seemed easy enough.

I then tried to see it and connect via my smartphone. Using the android wifi analyzer app I could see both the main and guest wifi on the same channel. I guess this is how it should be as I did not see any prompts to select a channel for the guest wifi.

I tried repeatedly to connect to this guest wifi but every time it failed. I tried walking around to get a stronger signal and still no joy. Any suggestions about what is going on here? Thanks
Message 1 of 4
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Cannot Connect to a Guest Wifi

Yes, the guest wireless channel is the same as the main channel on each band. There's only one radio for each band, so what you see is what you get *smile*.

Did you try simply rebooting or power-cycling the router after configuring the guest and having it fail to connect?
Message 2 of 4
whitedavidp
Novice

Thanks for the info. No, I did not power cycle the router. In my somewhat limited experience, when routers need to reboot after such config changes, they just ask permission to do that. Since it did not, I figured it wasn't needed. And I did, after all, see the new SSID after I made the changes. It certainly would not have hurt to do that but I didn't want to take down his business operations without a really good reason. Cheers!
Message 3 of 4
Cyber99
Follower

Recheck the password....make sure it's correctly typed in.
One missed character or a capital letter.
I did that once...kept on typing the number 12 when it should have been a 13.
Or, just delete the setting for the guest access and redo it.
That works sometimes too.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements