Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Connect

sdruley
Aspirant

Cannot Connect

I run windows 10 on 64 bit machine. The ipconfig shows 192.168.0.1. Internet address will not bring up anything except a multitude of scams or in many cases I get the message that this web address cannot be reached. I am familiar with the default user name=admin and password=password.
I tried to "run \\readyshare". I am connected with an ethernet cable. The router works fine but I am trying to get all of my condo neighbors from using it. How do I make it secure given that I can't seem to establish a link to it? If it were to ask me the user name and password I could provide that information.

My router is actually a nighthawk 7000 but the website would not accept this designation

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Cannot Connect

It sounds like someone could have logged into your router and changed the password.  You should disconnect the router from everything except power.  Then perform a factory reset by inserting a paper clip into the hole with the reset button and push it in for 8 to 10 seconds, until all lights flash off and on.  Wait a few minutes.  

Connect a single computer to one of the Ethernet LAN ports.  Log in and change the admin password immediately.  Next change the Wi-Fi passwords.  You might as well change the SSIDs, too.

Finally, reconnect your router to the Internet.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It sounds like someone could have logged into your router and changed the password.  You should disconnect the router from everything except power.  Then perform a factory reset by inserting a paper clip into the hole with the reset button and push it in for 8 to 10 seconds, until all lights flash off and on.  Wait a few minutes.  

Connect a single computer to one of the Ethernet LAN ports.  Log in and change the admin password immediately.  Next change the Wi-Fi passwords.  You might as well change the SSIDs, too.

Finally, reconnect your router to the Internet.

Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@sdruley wrote:

I run windows 10 on 64 bit machine. The ipconfig shows 192.168.0.1. Internet address will not bring up anything except a multitude of scams or in many cases I get the message that this web address cannot be reached.

It could be something else. Sounds more like the browser has had its DNS high jacked. Especially if you are getting 'spam/scam' sites when you try to use it. Usually set in the Internet settings as a Proxy. Should run some Malware scans and see if there are any. If you have another device or PC try those and see if it can connect. If it can, then the PC has a problem.

Otherwise, as the Ether suggest, full reset should restore the UID and P/W as well as access to the router (and could change the IP Address so check with IPCONFIG).

Message 3 of 5
sdruley
Aspirant

The Ether,

Did everything you suggested and everything works beautifully.

Thank you

Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

strange that your gateway was 192.168.0.1 the default is 192.168.1.1

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation