Re: Cannot Rename Attached Devices

rkruz
Apprentice

Cannot Rename Attached Devices

R6700V3, Firmware Version V1.0.4.78_10.0.55
The Device Renaming is a great feature that i was happy to see added as its a great convenience to manage and troubleshoot. The router is functioning well in all other respects except for the Renaming feature. The Rename is a great convenience and its not working does not prevent me from operating my network.

I do not have a Roku attached. I do not have a Roku at all.

During these following tests I am accessing the router via the 2.4G wireless interface, using a Windows 7 Thinkpad E540 and the router has been set to use 192.168.0.1 as is base address. there are about 15 devices attached from security cameras, NVRs, TV, AVR, 2 laptops. I can provide screen shots or any data. If there is anything I can do to provide access or more information please feel free to ask.

Ive done the following trouble shooting with no success.......
1) On the R6700 I removed one Ethernet at a time on the rear of the R6700, change the Device name, refreshed and then replaced the Ethernet cable. Did this for all 4 Ethernets. At no time was I able to rename any device. I tried to rename several devices all unsuccessful. I have 14-15 devices attached.
2) Reset the R6700 to factory default, tried to Rename Devices and still could not Rename any Device. I restored the original configuration and still could not Rename Devices.
3) Removed all 4 Ethernet cables from the rear of the R6700. Still not able to rename the device. An observation here is that the "wired" devices show still attached in the "Attached Devices" page when they have been disconnected. Even after about 10 minutes of disconnect and page refresh.

Clues:
a) Some devices names shown in the Attached Devices window typically look like DEV-CD:70:C1. It interesting to note that this name while shown in the page, provides a message of "Invalid Device Name (Symbol)" when attempting to "Apply" it without any changes to it.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 41
S1000
Initiate

I am experiencing similar problems since upgrading to version Firmware 1.0.9.88_10.2.88 on a R7000. When I attempt to change a Device Name in the Attached Devices table I receive the error message “invalid device name.” The names were valid prior to the firmware update.

This problem appears to date back to 2015. I have attempted to “get around” this problem by Going to Access Control, Turn on Access Control, check a device I wanted to edit and then edited the Device Name, and finally clicked Apply. The edited change did not remain.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 2 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

I did the same experiment with the same dissapointed results.  It a great feature to be to friendly name the devices.  So much easier to troubleshoot and see issues at a glance.  I have hopes there will be an update to make the device naming feature work and be robust.

Message 3 of 41
S1000
Initiate

Prior to the last update I was able to change a Device Name in the Attached Devices table. The update replaced my names with generic product names and prevented me from changing the names back. It appears that the purpose of the last update was to sell Netgear Armor at $70 per year.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

yes.  that was the main purpose of the update I saw as well, to sell an onboard protection.   Looks like in that process the rename devices function broke

Message 5 of 41
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have an issue logged for devices not saving after being renamed. This should be addressed in a nighthawk app in a upcoming update.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 41
myersw
Master

@DarrenM 

And this has been an issue for how many releases now?  

Netgear does not seem to be testing firmware before releases before release.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 41
myersw
Master

@DarrenM 

And this has been an issue for how many releases now?  

Netgear does not seem to be testing firmware before release

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 41
P4ulg
Aspirant

Hi Darren.

Any idea when this will be fixed.
Checked that I’m running latest firmware and the IOS app is latest and still no luck.

Is there a work around without using the app ?
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 41
schumaku
Guru

@P4ulg wrote:
Is there a work around without using the app ?

...using the router Web UI, while connected to the same [W]LAN point a browser to the http://routerlogin.net/ or the router LAN IP like http://192.168.1.1 - head to attached devices, click on the device icon, ... there you should be able to rename it, too. Good luck - most issues are similar here, my guess this is not an App issue at all.

And yes @DarrenM : These kind of issues are around for much to long as @myersw already pointed out.

Message 10 of 41
Smegtrek
Aspirant

I found that the firmware does no like user entered names that have spaces. If you use a dash or underscore instead of a space it will work.

This is odd because it takes names auto populated with spaces but not users entered ones, and it will not take it if the auto populated one with spaces is there when you update. What I mean is if you update either name you must remove spaces in BOTH and replace them with something else for it not to get the error.

Smeg

Message 11 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

Thanks for that. The rename should invoke after hitting "apply" right?   No Joy.  Ive tried no spaces or special characters or caps or numbers and on and on and on.   Never will the rename sticks.  I Have the latest firmware V1.0.4.82_10.0.57 .  Netgear support has been involved.  THey asked for descriptions,  screen shots.  They even a couple days ago sent me a new router thinking there was a hardware problem I guess...but still no joy.  Identical issues as with the orginal router.  I responded to them there was no change with the new router but havent heard back from them.  I have 18 devices attached to the network but the "attached devices" only shows 13...so maybe related.

I have a access point on the network, another identical r6700V3, maybe that has something to do with it.   I might remove it and see what happens. 

It would be a great convenience to rename for network trouble shooting, but other then rename the router is working fine for a long time.

Message 12 of 41
dsfort
Aspirant

I just upgraded Firmware to V1.0.2.8_10.0.53

-- and the assigned device names no longer appear. They did immediately prior to the Firmware upgrade, so the bug must have been introduced in this firmware version.

Now, many of the devices have names like "DEV xxj" instead of "Pixel 4 XL" or whatever I had assigned. Please bring this feature back -- it not only aids in troubleshooting but is a needed security feature.

Message 13 of 41
m8473
Aspirant

This is silly beyond belief. iPhone app and router updated to latest software. Three glaring bugs obvious to even casual testing.

1. Trying to change a device name to anything with a blank in it gives immediate error "Sorry, the action was failed. Please try again".

- Gives no indication why it failed, and why did the app let me enter a space if it was not allowed?

- Check your English grammer in the error message.

- Oddly, if the name starts with a dash then blanks are allowed. Sure, that makes sense, right? Really?

2. No matter what name you enter, saving and then returning to the main screen and re-opening the devices list shows the name back to its default value.

3. The device information screen has unresolved substitutions in the message "This %@ is connected via %@".

All these happen if connected locally or remote.

I find reports like this going back years. Unbelievable.

Message 14 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

Since my router was past the 3 month support window I was not able to get help on the issue from them for a long time.  I then posted the issue on their facebook page and they got back to me and opened a trouble ticket....that was about 5 months ago and the ticket is still open.

Here is the timeline:

First I had to repeatedly let them know this was not by use of an app but direct web control of the router. 

Once they got that, over a few months I tried I think 3 publically issued firmware updates all of which had no effect on renaming devices.

At about month 4 they then sent me another identical router R6700V3 to try and I had to return my original router.  No joy.  The new router had the identical issue with identical renaming responses.

The trouble ticket was elevated and a higher level tech actually called me and remoted into my router and verified the issue, devices could not be renamed while she captured screen shots and logs which she then forwared to the engineering team for analysis.

Now at month 5 they apologized for taking so long and said they would refund me the cost of the router for my trouble.  I asked rather then a refund, could they provide a different model router that can rename devices.   The engineering team rejected that and said they would do the refund.   I think that means there is no router that works to rename devices.  They have not yet sent me the specifics on getting a refund..

Message 15 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

well the Netgear refund was a bogus offer.   Now they came back and stated I could return the unit for refund.  Thats not what they originally stated.  I told them I dont want to return the router and they came back with ok, we will continue to have engineering look at the problem.  I dont think anyone has looked at the problem in the 8 months Ive been trying to get it fixed.  Netgear also could not suggest a model number for a router that does allow Renaming of devices.   I also tried renaming using the Nighthawk app and same issue, the devices will not rename.

Message 16 of 41
jmartell19
Aspirant

Just purchased the AC1750 - R6700 from amazon and had the same issues described.  My solution was to go to advanced settings using the webbrowser on a computer and going to advanced settings, security, access control and renaming the devices there.  Once I did that the names sticked and did not change.  Hope this helps...  Not even sure this is an issue still.

Message 17 of 41
Average_Joe_Oz
Aspirant

Hi,

I was able to fix mine by going into Basic- Attached devices- selecting the device by the radio box on the left and then clicking edit.  It saved the new name.

Annoyingly, under QOS, the old name displayed under "Device Name" did not change.  But, when I choose it and select to edit the QOS Rules, it is the new name. When I delete the old rule and create a new one with the new name, it still shows as the old name. What the.!

My OCD simply cant let this slide!  

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 18 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

yes.  I can change the names in the Security/Access Control, and they stick, but the names still dont change in the attached devices.  Further, the Attached Devices doesnt show all the attached devices, there are many missing.  The router works fine,  but it would be a great convenience when trouble shooting to be able to change Devices to Friendly Names.   I have a trouble ticket open on it for 6 months now.  Nothing has happened.  I just get "we are working on it" but I dont think so.  I even asked if there was a router where I could rename as I would be willing to purchase it just for that feature but support would not offer model.

Message 19 of 41
highwayking
Guide

On my R8500 there is *no* option under the ADVANCED->securitry->access control menu to rename attached devices.

That option only exists under BASIC->security->attached devices.

Anyhow, renaming attached devices has not worked properly for many months now. With 80+ attached devices this is truly a security nightmare. What on earth is Netgear doing???

For the record, I am using the latest firmware V1.0.2.130, accessing the menus from a browser.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 20 of 41
router912
Aspirant

R6700v3 user here.  Updated to latest firmware.  This issue is still unresolved.     Device names continuously reset to "--".   Naming devices is the most basic possible functionality and they can't implement it and make it work.  Ask yourself if this gives you any confidence that the firmware works properly for more important elements such as  security.  Will not be buying Netgear products again.  

Message 21 of 41
pasky01
Aspirant

Firmware Version V1.0.5.8 Invalid Device Name still an issue. I deleted a device that had an IP reservation then couldn't re-add it. This is nuts. Can someone from Netgear speak to this? Please?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 22 of 41
pasky01
Aspirant

Hey changed the device name in Security > Access Control and that name carried over to Setup > LAN Setup and now the device was recognized. Thanks for the tip rkruz!

Message 23 of 41
highwayking
Guide

@pasky01

The names under LAN setup are not the point. They have nothing to do with the names shown in the (long) list of devices under security->access control. Unfortunately, because it would make sense if they were identical. But not in Netgear devices...

Dear Netgear people, how on earth do you expect me to properly manage a list of 50+ attached devices, if the names do not make sense?

This is so frustrating. I am really starting to consider to replace all my Netgear equipment.

Message 24 of 41

Greetings,

You may as well start looking then.  This feature has been broken in multiple firmware versions across almost every single router Netgear manufacturers, and has been for a few years now.  Most of us have given up.  Its broken as has been for so long that I cannot even remember when it actually did work. 

I will say that (once upon a time) it did work.  It was reliable and I I used it regularly.  Basically set and forget.  Add a device, name it and you were good.  But sadly, no more.

I'm a long term customer / user and do want to support the brand, but these are the facts.     

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E