Re: Cannot Rename Attached Devices

robinsoncj
Aspirant

ditto!  Looking for a solution to this renaming issue.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 26 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

A netgear engineer remoted into my PC some weeks ago to look at the problem.  Yesterday they sent me beta firmware lthat looks to me like it fixed the naming problem.  I can now name devices and the names stick however spaces cannot be used in the name or it will return error.  Small annoyance to be able to rename.  I would expect a broad update would be available soon.

Message 27 of 41
Cmjanus
Aspirant

Just got a nighthawk rax200. Same problem here with latest firmware. Any fixes yet? Thanks.
Message 28 of 41
highwayking
Guide

I got an email from Netgear on the 14th of March saying that there is an important firmware update. However, when I checked for updated firmware, there wasn't any available. So today - more than two weeks later - I am still on v1.0.2.130 for my R8500.

I did notice that I can set names for some devices using the Nighthawk app on my iPhone:

- active devices (not sleeping/hybernating) with a wired connection

- active devices, that have a direct wireless connection to the router

For all devices that connect via an extender (in my case EX8000) you can not set the name. note that in the app it looks like you can set the name and device type, but once you rescan the network all names and device types revert to their original (and often useless) values.

So, dear Netgear friends, isn't it time you guys fix this once and for all? It's not like were asking you to perform miracles...

Message 29 of 41
additude
Virtuoso

"So, dear Netgear friends, isn't it time you guys fix this once and for all? It's not like were asking you to perform miracles..."

Famous last words......

Message 30 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

A netgear engineer remoted into my PC in January 2020 to look at the problem some 7 months after the trouble ticket was opened. On Feb 18 2020 they sent me beta firmware lthat  fixed the naming problem. I can now name devices and the names stick however spaces cannot be used in the name or it will return error. Small annoyance to be able to rename.  I asked about an update and is the norm I would think it would undo the fix and he said I could read the changes to see if it was included.  So dont know how to do that before upgrading so Ive turned off any auto upgrade as everything is working fine and seems the upgrads only have to do with selling new service anyway.

Message 31 of 41
highwayking
Guide

So which firmware version are you using currently?

Message 32 of 41
pasky01
Aspirant

V1.0.5.8  Still not working for me. Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 33 of 41
rkruz
Apprentice

R

@highwayking wrote:

So which firmware version are you using currently?

r6700v3

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.86_10.0.59

Message 34 of 41
sjetha
Aspirant

I tried the technique of not using spaces, and it worked! Maybe it never liked spaces but the useless error message never made it clear.

I'm using Firmware version 1.0.2.8_10.0.53

Message 35 of 41
AlanBN
Aspirant

OK, this issue is annoying as heck.  I've read so many posts about this issue.   The one glaring thing I have noticed is an absolute total lack of customer service, care or interest in product quality, ease of use, etc.  by Netgear.  YOur example being the most infuriating to me.  Netgear is not the kind of company i want to do business with.

Pity too, I was looking at the new Orbi Mesh WiFi 6. I just bought a new 6,000 square foot home.  I know I will need to upgrade my system.  Given the enormous amount of effort i have had to put forth, and noting Netgear's absolute apathy and lack of concern for the customer experience , long-term, not just a measely 3 months, I will not be looking at Netgear.  

Do you hear that Netgear? Great technology but no apreciation for your customers, the customer experience, software ease of use nor timeliness in addressing YOUR software glitches.  I know I can find better. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 36 of 41
dcmillerjr
Aspirant

Work around for renaiming devices via phone app; Fix for renaming devices via phone app 

Nighthawk X6 R8000 

Firmware Version - V1.0.4.62_10.1.74

Android Phone

App Version - 2.6.2.1242

I have found this works when new device names fail to apply when using the app (Device Manager):

1. Click on device to rename

2. Select "Edit"

3. Click the buttion right under the device icon (looks like a slanted "C" with a pencil in it)

4. Select the new/different device icon then "Save" (you can change back later)

5. Go to name field and rename the device then "Save"

Tah-Dah!

Now if you device icon is incorrect:

1. Click the buttion right under the device icon again

2. Select the new/different device icon then "Save" 

3. Then "Save" a second time"

You are done!

Enjoy, Dave.M

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 37 of 41
dcmillerjr
Aspirant

This may also work for other devices with the similar problem

Message 38 of 41
highwayking
Guide

Tried that, of course. Initially I thought it solves the problem. But it doesn't. Next time you login, or reboot your router or extender, all names are reset and you can start all over again.

This is annoying as hell. And the problem has been discussed for more than a year now, with zero communication from Netgear.

Even worse is an issue I encountered with multiple ex8000 mesh extenders. When I use one in my network, it works fine, but when I use multiple extenders connections drop, devices freeze, it simply doesn't work. Why on earth do they call these devices *mesh* extenders if you can only connect one at a time???

I have decided that I will never buy Netgear equipment again. It simply isn't suitable for serious applications, and customer support is non existent.

Message 39 of 41
dcmillerjr
Aspirant

Further tested by doing a soft boot within the web interface and then unplugged the router to force a hard boot. All changes remained. Going to do a backup of the settings just in case it reverts back, I can reload the settings and have all my changes. 

Message 40 of 41
highwayking
Guide

Not on my R8500. Just tried once more. Doesn't work.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements