Re: Cannot Rename the Devices Name in access control after firmware Update

SunnyKanjani
Tutor

Cannot Rename the Devices Name in access control after firmware Update

After Firmware Update Iam unable to edit attached  Device name.

The edit option is missing from where is use to be.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 66

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 66
SunnyKanjani
Tutor

Have tried the same but dint work it out .

I acciedently dint took the backup and made a Factory reset . It took from all step 1 to getting it back .

Still that name edit option is missing .

Any more suggestion.

Message 3 of 66
nytiger73
Star

Same issue here.  I also use this feature to rename any device that connects to my network so that I know what is connecting.  Is there a fix in the works?

Message 4 of 66

@nytiger73 wrote:

I also use this feature to rename any device that connects to my network so that I know what is connecting. 

There are various places where network devices show up and where you might be able to change their name.

In Windows, for example, on the device itself.

The Netgear desktop genie also offers controls for devices that the router can control.

What are you using to detect the devices on the network? In general, whatever you are using picks up the names from the network device itself.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 66
nytiger73
Star

I'm not sure if you understand the question.  In Access Contol on the router itself, you can select a checkbox and click on Edit to give your devices a "friendly name".  The edit button is no longer there after the latest firmware upgrade. 

Message 6 of 66
SunnyKanjani
Tutor

Yes you can change it by genie app ; login through browser and giving names to devices is much more habituated thing. I feel very much easier going through browser.

They just removed the feature after Firmware update.
Message 7 of 66

@nytiger73 wrote:

I'm not sure if you understand the question.  In Access Contol on the router itself, you can select a checkbox and click on Edit to give your devices a "friendly name".  The edit button is no longer there after the latest firmware upgrade. 

I do understand the question. I am just suggesting a different way of achieving what you want now that this feature is broken.

Perhaps you don't understand my answer, in which case I apologise. Tell me which bit of my suggestion you don't understand and I will try to write a better explanation.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 66
petemacsydney
Initiate

sucks that they removed this feature from browser routerlogin.

please bring it back!!

Message 9 of 66
SunnyKanjani
Tutor

It really sucks.
Every company introduces new features with update but these guys are removing features.

I don't understand what it made them think that renaming option is not usable.

Message 10 of 66
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

This has been brought up already to engineers. I will get back to you guys for any updates.

Message 11 of 66
phogenson
Tutor

FYI I am having the same issue. Hopefully a fix was be out soon. 

Message 12 of 66
Shoey
Guide

Have the same issue on an R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 configured as AP. Feature disapeared after a previous firmware update. Figured it was a bug that would get fixed. This morning I updated my firmware to an available (V1.0.4.4_1.1.42) and the feature is still missing. Really pissed off about it. WHAT THE HELL NETGEAR PUT THE @#$!@ FEATURE BACK!

Not to mention the Access Control Rule ("Block all new devices from connecting") hasn't worked since day one.  It's set as default but wireless devices are able to connect and route without being allowed first.

Message 13 of 66
MagnetDoc
Initiate

Any updates from the engineers?  I'm currently running firmware version V1.0.4.4_1.1.42 and there is no "edit" button.  Funny though, the help link mentions the "edit" button.

Keep us posted!

Thanks!

Message 14 of 66
Eck123
Initiate

Any update???? Having a network map without knowing which device is which is pretty useless. Any update on when this will be fixed would be appreciated.
Message 15 of 66
Michael-B
Initiate

Any update here. When can we get this feature back?

Message 16 of 66
32edge
Star

This feature has been missing for a while now, like months and months, I dont think NetGear cares about its users, this router has so many issue and the fireware updates keep making it worse.. Doubt they will ever fix this and if they do i will be really suprised...

Message 17 of 66
Shoey
Guide

Why is this taking so long to get fixed?

There have been two firmwares since the feature went missing and it's still not fixed.

When is a firmware going to be released that addresses the missing feature to rename attached devices?

Message 18 of 66

Do not hold your breath.  This has been an ongoing issue that has come and gone over the years.  Fixed, broken, fixed, then broken again.  Sometimes editing the device name in the Genie App on your mobile device can help.  Note I said sometimes.  

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 19 of 66
32edge
Star

I ended up downgrading to V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 when it had the option to rename things.

Message 20 of 66
Shoey
Guide

@shadowsportswrote:

Do not hold your breath.  This has been an ongoing issue that has come and gone over the years.  Fixed, broken, fixed, then broken again.  Sometimes editing the device name in the Genie App on your mobile device can help.  Note I said sometimes.  

I'll tell you another thing not to hold your breath over....me ever buying or recommending another Netgear product!

Message 21 of 66
PJF
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thinking about purchaseng RBK40, Is this device name still an issue? Thx

Message 22 of 66
phogenson
Tutor

As far as I know it is still and issue. It is for me. I cannot rename, or name any of my network devices anylonger.So some remain unamed and some have a manufacurer created name which is often cryptic and/or unidentifiable without a lot of extra effort to narrow down what the device might be and do.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 23 of 66
slimpdog
Aspirant

I have the rbk40 and it's an issue for me as well.

Message 24 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Also having the same issue on my X6 R8000 ....   farking pathetic..

Message 25 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E