Re: Cannot Rename the Devices Name in access control after firmware Update

BowserKingKoopa
Aspirant

Is this fixed yet? I had rolled back to V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 to get this feature back. 

Message 26 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Not yet...

I sent a personal message to JamesGL who is a Moderator and he didn't even bother to reply...

Really bad support.  I'll never buy a Netgear product again.

Message 27 of 66
BowserKingKoopa
Aspirant

Yeah, I'm about due for a new router and I don't think it will be a Netgear after this. A shame because other than this I've had a great experience with this router.  I can't believe this has been ignored like this.

Message 28 of 66
vvulture
Guide

It's not just this issue thats gives me the **bleep**s..  Netgear make it intentionally difficult to get support from them.

They only supply direct support for 90 days after purchase..  after that your pretty much screwed if they decide to ignore you here on the forums.

If you want support beyond the 90 days you have to  pay for it..  WTF is that crap ?!?!?!    Should be illegal.

I too will be due for a new router soon, and unless Netgear change their business/support structure i will not buy another one of their products.

Message 29 of 66
BowserKingKoopa
Aspirant

Here's my twitter thread where I'm pestering Netgear about this.  https://twitter.com/rfuller/status/995459415926099970

They move verrrryyyyyy slowwwwlyyyyyy.

Message 30 of 66

But at least Twitter got them moving.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 31 of 66
schumaku
Guru

@BowserKingKoopa wrote:

Here's my twitter thread where I'm pestering Netgear about this. 
"edit option is missing from where it used to be"

Is this potentially related to the UI change from the old table view (with and [Edit] button per Attached Device) to the new UI with a bigger icon (and no more [Edit] button!) - which can be clicked to get direct access to the edit form?

Nighthawk Attached Device - Edit.PNG

Message 32 of 66
Shoey
Guide

@schumaku what router/firmware version are you running. My screen looks different from yours. Don't have that capability. 

Message 33 of 66
Flashbugga
Aspirant

is there any news on rectifying this bug?

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 34 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Yes @schumaku, what firmware you using ??

Message 35 of 66
Flashbugga
Aspirant

Hi,   Firmware Ver V1.0.4.18_10.1.49
Cheers

Message 36 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Not you Flashbugga... was asking schumaku.
Message 37 of 66
Flashbugga
Aspirant

All good..
Domestic blindness on my behalf  Smiley Very Happy

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 38 of 66
deegee60
Initiate

Hi, not sure if this is still an issue but I found this post by hunting for an answer as to why I couldnt rename my devices and I finally figured out a solution so wanted to share. If this is no longer an issue, please disregard but in my firmware V1.0.1.42_1.0.28 I found that if I went into "attached devices", in the top right corner is a blue link  to "access control" where you can allow or block. There is also an edit in there so you can put a check mark next to the device you want to edit and change the name.  Hope that helps.

Message 39 of 66

Interesting. Nice bit of research.

The same move even works with the R7800, another device with recent firmware that breaks the ability to name attached devices. And, better still, the names stick after you turn off access control.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 40 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Thanks for the info guys.
I will check later when i get home but I'm pretty sure the the edit button is missing for me... it should b there but it's not.
Message 41 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Ok.  I've checked.

I'm on firmware 1.0.4.4_1.1.42 .

The edit button is no longer available. It's broken and Netgear don't give a crap...   Terrible, terrible support.

Message 42 of 66

@vvulture wrote:
The edit button is no longer available.

Edit button where?

Did you get this bit:

There is also an edit in there so you can put a check mark next to the device you want to edit and change the name.

You do this on the Access Control page in Security.

With access control turned on, check the thing you want to rename, and the click Edit.

Is that the missing button for you?

@vvulture wrote:

You might do better with newer firmware:

R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.18 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your version is six months old. The new firmware even "Supports the Auto firmware update feature." So, no excuses for being behind the curve in future.

Just another user.

Message 43 of 66
deegee60
Initiate

Bad news, all but 2 of my names were gone this morning and replaced with dashes. Edited to add that the device I blocked has also been changed to allow this morning!

Message 44 of 66
vvulture
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

You do this on the Access Control page in Security.

With access control turned on, check the thing you want to rename, and the click Edit.

Is that the missing button for you?

YES. Thats the missing button.

@vvulture wrote:

You might do better with newer firmware:

R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.4.18 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Your version is six months old. The new firmware even "Supports the Auto firmware update feature." So, no excuses for being behind the curve in future.

When i check if there is a newer firmware available from within the router itself, it tell sme that i have the latest firmware installed. I've always updated the firmware this way since purchased new.  So this is another broken function ?

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Message 45 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Here is a screenshot for all to see .

All the descriptions you see were either entered manually when it was still working, or populated themselves somehow.

But i have no way of adding or editing them.

R8000.JPG

Message 46 of 66

@vvulture wrote:

When i check if there is a newer firmware available from within the router itself, it tell sme that i have the latest firmware installed. I've always updated the firmware this way since purchased new.  So this is another broken function ?

Highly likely.That is one reason why eyebrows rise when someone boasts that they have "the latest firmware". Providing the number, as you did, is more useful.

Follow the instructions in the release notes and update manually.

Many experienced users prefer that route. They get to control what goes on.

Good luck. You may need it.

Just another user.

Message 47 of 66
nytiger73
Star

Netgear does not care.  They will almost certainly never fix this bug.  I am currently running a 1+ year old firmware on my router so that I can have the function to rename my devices as a I see fit. Although, I know don't have the ability to use the mobile app, but I guess it's a fair trade.  If I ever need a new router, I most certainly won't be considering a Netgear.  Never have a run across a company who breaks already working features when they release updates and then does nothing to fix what they break with their "updates".  Complete trash. 

Message 48 of 66
vvulture
Guide

@deegee60 wrote:

Hi, not sure if this is still an issue but I found this post by hunting for an answer as to why I couldnt rename my devices and I finally figured out a solution so wanted to share. If this is no longer an issue, please disregard but in my firmware V1.0.1.42_1.0.28 I found that if I went into "attached devices", in the top right corner is a blue link  to "access control" where you can allow or block. There is also an edit in there so you can put a check mark next to the device you want to edit and change the name.  Hope that helps.

I just noticed that your using a very old firmware...  Thats why it works for you.  

The problem manifested itself in a later firmware and has been there since...

Message 49 of 66

@vvulture wrote:

@deegee60 wrote:

I just noticed that your using a very old firmware...  Thats why it works for you.  

The problem manifested itself in a later firmware and has been there since...

For some hardware with similar issues, certainly my R7800, that trick also works with the latest firmware.

Try it. You might be surprised.

The key point is to "edit" the devices in access control, not attached devices.

Just another user.

Message 50 of 66
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E