Re: Cannot Rename the Devices Name in access control after firmware Update

vvulture
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

For some hardware with similar issues, certainly my R7800, that trick also works with the latest firmware.

Try it. You might be surprised.

The key point is to "edit" the devices in access control, not attached devices.

I did try it.   I posted the screenshots of it after updating the firmware which you linked me to.

As you can see the EDIT button is nowhere to be found...

Message 51 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Ok.

Here are some more screenshots.

This first one is of my router, defaulted and loaded with 1st initial firmware. As you can see the EDIT button is there :

R800 initial firmware default.JPG

This next screenshot is of the same router, defaulted with the latest firmware . EDIT button is now missing :

R8000 latest firmware default.JPG

Message 52 of 66

@vvulture wrote:

Ok.

Here are some more screenshots.

This first one is of my router, defaulted and loaded with 1st initial firmware. As you can see the EDIT button is there :

Embedded screenshots take time to land. Someone had to approve them.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 53 of 66

@vvulture wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

For some hardware with similar issues, certainly my R7800, that trick also works with the latest firmware.

Try it. You might be surprised.

The key point is to "edit" the devices in access control, not attached devices.

I did try it.   I posted the screenshots of it after updating the firmware which you linked me to.

As you can see the EDIT button is nowhere to be found...

Ah, now I see.

Clearly not the same as the R7800 bug.

That prevents editing of attached devices, but allows it in access control.

I have asked the official support team for an update. This one has been running for a couple of months now.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 54 of 66
vvulture
Guide

Awesome...   keep us updated !   Smiley Wink

Message 55 of 66
32edge
Star

Downgrade your firmware to R8000-V1.0.3.36_1.1.25 and your Edit button will be back...

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 56 of 66
vvulture
Guide

That's not a solution...
Message 57 of 66
schumaku
Guru

@vvulture wrote:

This first one is of my router, defaulted and loaded with 1st initial firmware. As you can see the EDIT button is there :...

This next screenshot is of the same router, defaulted with the latest firmware . EDIT button is now missing :

Not so amazingly, using the Edit option in the Access Control does often lead to corrupted configurations on the R9000, certainly up to 1.0.4.2, so at the end of the day neither the Access Control nor the Attached Devices are loaded, the Web UI remains empty. 

Wasn't the Attached Devices UI updated on the R8000 and the R8000P (similar to the R9000/8900)  so one has big device icons, which can be clicked, opening an Edit Device view? 

Message 58 of 66

@Case850 wrote:

Your last line implies that these forums are a support forum.

Not at all. I have other communications channels that are outside this public forum. But, "implies" is one of those weasel words that could mean anything, so who knows what you have in mind or why you feel the need to raise this here?

Then again, I don't recall telling people to "call technical support" that often. Again hard to know what that means, but Netgear is famous for not providing support phone numbers that anyone can call, and I do not make a habit of sending people off on a wild goose chase.

Sadly, I have yet to hear back on the "Devices Name" issue, but I was pleased that they followed my suggestion for an update on the TFTP articles.

Just another user.

Message 59 of 66
SheldonWortley
Aspirant

Same issue

Nighthawk X6 R8000

Firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

How I named the devices - NOTE this is NOT how I resolved the issue; this is a workaround that you may not be interested in

I downloaded the NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK APP to my Android phone

Connected the app to my R8000 and in the Device List clicked on all the "i" icons next to the dashes where the device names should be

Chose Edit Device

Replaced the dashes with the correct name

Chose the device type from the drop down list (ugh; THAT is awful)

Clicked on APPLY

Went to my PC and the NetGear Genie program

Clicked REFRESH

And Lo! There were names! And the admin saw that it was gooooooooooood

Hope this helps?

Message 60 of 66
chimchim8000
Tutor

As with many, I lost the device names and types when I upgraded my R7000 to firmware V1.0.9.34_10.2.36.

I have tried to change the names and device types in the Netgear Genie app and the Nighthawk app and the router login through my laptop.  Some of the devices names and types remain updated for a while and others automatically revert back to incorrect information no matter how many times I try to fix them.  Ultimately almost all the devices revert back to being incorrectly labeled.

Does anyone have another fix?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 61 of 66
nytiger73
Star

The only fix is to downgrade your router firmware to one where it actually worked.  I am currently running an 18 month old firmware on my R8000.  Netgear is not going to fix this issue, they have already demonstrated that they do not care about these older routers.  I am not sure if this is still an issue on any of the newer routers.  But, I can say for sure, that if/when I need a new router, I won't consider a Netgear.  This is the only company that I know that breaks something that was working, doesn't acknowledge it and then does nothing to fix it. 

Message 62 of 66

@nytiger73 wrote:

Netgear is not going to fix this issue, they have already demonstrated that they do not care about these older routers. 

Not all older routers. The latest firmware for the R7800, released this week, fixes the problem for that "old" router.

The irony is that the naming problem came in when Netgear fixed a security hole. So anyone who runs older firmware runs the risk of hitting that particular elephant trap. But as many of these security things are "theoretical", with no known sightings in the wild, it may be a risk that some people are prepared to take.

Just another user.

Message 63 of 66

True, this setting and the ability to edit has come and gone across multiple pieces of hardware and FW revisions over the years.  There have also been instances where you edit in the GUI and its doesn't show correctly in Genie on a mobile device or viceversa.  I keep a txt file of my MAC's with friendly names.  Be patient, it will get fixed again. It will.  Fortunately its working for me ATM, but I've had it break on me previously and then get fixed again.  Keep i mind you can also go back to an earlier FW release where it might work.

The latest FW is not always best.  It easy to review FW history and determine how far you can go back without dramatically increasing your risk.  I've only been on the latestes FW for my model a few weeks.  Prio to that, I was running older FW without issues. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 64 of 66
Rick55
Aspirant

I’m running Firmware V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 on my R8000. I figured out I can rename devices using NetGear Genie using the Network map. Once in Network map, click on the item you want to change and click modify. It worked for me.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 65 of 66
nytiger73
Star

It sounds like you probably have the R8000P, which is nearly identical to the R8000. If I upgrade to that firmware, yes, I can rename devices but the changes don’t stick. If I go into the web interface, my changes simply are not there. Netgear isn’t going to fix this on the older R8000, this has been an issue on and off in different forms for at least a year and probably longer.
Message 66 of 66
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E