Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot Update Settings

additude
Virtuoso

Cannot Update Settings

Brand New Nighthawk R7000 right out of the box.

Got it setup basically, username/password/ssid/WiFi/Lan/WAN and it connects to the Internet.

Login and update the firmware to the latest  V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 It reboots and all is fine. I am typing here thru it.

I updated the Lan to: 192.168.0.2 as routers IP, 255.255.255.0 mask, Rip = Both, Rip Ver = Disabled.

Use router as DHCP = enabled, Start IP address 192.168.0.15, Stop IP address, 192.168.0.125

Router reboots...My laptop is assigned 192.168.0.15.....all looks good, I start adding the configurations and first I go to reservations

and enter my first reservation 192.168.0.20, put in the mac and device name, click add and receive the error message:

The IP address should be within the DHCP range...

But it is in the range. I try it again... this time I double check everything and it's correct. Click add and same error.

I do this with several different IP addys within the range all report same error.

OK, I'm using MS Edge, I close out and use Chrome. Chrome has same problem. OK, I log in with my iPhone-Chrome and make the changes and I receive the same error.

OK, so I try to change the DHCP IP start and stop to 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.240 respectivly. I click apply and router reboots.

It comes back up and my IP changes didn't update. They stayed at 192.168.0.15 and 192.168.0.125...

I try changing the IP start/stop with Edge/Chrome/iPhone Chrome and the changes do not take effect.

OK, so I already have 1 assigned device, my laptop is on 192.168.0.15 and is working fine, so I go to reservations and this time I just click the radio button to "add" it... then click add and get the error message The IP address should be within the DHCP range...

Is this R7000 broken right out of the box like this?

Did I not set something up correctly? What now?

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions

@additude 

I've seen address reservation work differently (at times) on all 4 of my routers with various FW versions. 

My reservations live below my DHCP pool.  On the Orbi however, I believe my reservations had to live within the DCHP pool range.  Don't remember, sorry.

@antinode hit the nail on the head.  Its a bug.  A silly one most of us just deal with. He is also correct about 1.0.9.42  thats the FW you want to use with your R7000.  Suggest you downgrade and disable Automatic Update. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14

All Replies
additude
Virtuoso

So I did some more testing.

I've reset the router several times to start from default.

Each time testing the DHCP settings and reservations.

Reservations will work as long as the router is on 192.168.0.1, but if the router is on a different address, like 192.168.0.2, the reservations fails with the Must Be In Range Error.

I have other Netgear routers that do not exhibit this behavoir. The router that this one is replacing is a DGND3700v2 and it performs just fine with these settings. As a matter of fact, I've used these settings for a majority of my "LAN" life....

And now this Netgear router chokes. Possibly it's the Firmware Version? Maybe I need to reinstall an earlier version?

Otherwise I guess I'll have to become a new customer of a different brand of equipment.

Does anyone know where I can get files to downgrade my firmware?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 2 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] and update the firmware to the latest V1.0.9.64_10.2.64 [...]

So, no longer "right out of the box".

A Web or forum search for terms like, say:

R7000 1.0.9.64 [or "V1.0.9.64" or "V1.0.9.64_10.2.64"]

might be informative/depressing.  ".42" might work better.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

> I updated the Lan to: 192.168.0.2 as routers IP, [...]

Why the odd-ball (not ".1") LAN IP address?

> [...] The IP address should be within the DHCP range... [...]

> [...] and my IP changes didn't update. [...]

Sounds like a firmware bug and/or scrambled settings.  Especially
after a firmware update, I'd try a settings reset, and manual
reconfiguration.

> [...] Reservations will work as long as the router is on 192.168.0.1,
> but if the router is on a different address, like 192.168.0.2, the
> reservations fails with the Must Be In Range Error. [...]

Sounds like a bug, but why you'd want use that address is a mystery
to me.

Message 3 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

Thanks for the feedback. I've already looked for a firmware update of previous versions but I didn't see anything......

I'll go look again....

I just finished another experiment of leaving the router on 192.168.0.1 and adding several reservations which worked just fine.

Then I set the router to 192.168.0.2 and it rebooted just fine and I logged into the new IP. But it wouldn't allow me to add anymore reservations. I tried returning it back to 192.168.0.1, but after reboot it was stuck on 192.168.0.2 and wouldn't process reservations.

Yes, I agree, I think it's a bug. There are about 60 pieces of equipment on that LAN... mixed with static IP's and with dynamic and at one time, there was a static 192.168.0.1 XEON machine on the LAN.

But it should work...regardless.

I also want to avoid a massive update session...especially if it's related to a software bug in a router.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 4 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

I found previous versions.... I overlooked it last time....

Message 5 of 14

@additude 

I've seen address reservation work differently (at times) on all 4 of my routers with various FW versions. 

My reservations live below my DHCP pool.  On the Orbi however, I believe my reservations had to live within the DCHP pool range.  Don't remember, sorry.

@antinode hit the nail on the head.  Its a bug.  A silly one most of us just deal with. He is also correct about 1.0.9.42  thats the FW you want to use with your R7000.  Suggest you downgrade and disable Automatic Update. 

Message 6 of 14
myersw
Master

@shadowsports wrote:

@additude 

Welcome to the wonderful world of crap firmware!!

Netgear does not seem to be able to put out a good firmware build. Problems that have been identified for months are still not fixed. Seems they do not even test for known issues before they post a new build. Not a good way to run a company IMHO. 

Message 7 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

Thanks. I have .42 installed now, so the suggestion is not to upgrade?

What would be the reason or a link to the conversation about why not to upgrade?

I have always used the "Outside of the DHCP Pool" for static IP's and I typically keep my DHCP  pool to a minimum just as another layer of security. I know how many clients should be on my LAN.... Each one has a reserved address. We don't need to serve more IP's than than we have MAC addresses. It's a way of MAC address filtering.

I'll try the above/below concept. Reservations were working as long as the Router IP was a x.x.x.1

If that doesn't fix anything, I have created a support ticket for it and now my plan is to keep the Router IP at x.x.x.1 and manually enter all my settings and then create a configuration file. Then change the Router IP to x.x.x.2 and move on.... if I need to update the configuration in the future, I'll need to reload the configuration file first to get my x.x.x.1 back and then do my update and save that config file and then change the router back to x.x.x.2

I can't believe that a company like NetGear is allowing DHCP and IP issues like this to happen.

Thanks Again.

Message 8 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

I've received a reply back from Tech Support.

"May i know why you are trying to change the IP address, why you are doing IP reservation, may i know the main issue you are facing with the device?"

I'm trying to be nice...and I opened the support ticket with a very sensible description of the problem.....

..... and support asks me why do I want to make changes to the router?

I went to a Doctor once and told the Doc that my arm hurts when I move my arm to out to the side.....

The Doc told me, "Well then, I suggest that you don't do that movement with your arm and you will cease to experience that problem"...

I wonder where support is going with these kinds of questions.....

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 9 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

Well, Well, Well....

I just went in and raised the DHCP Pool to 100 - 254 and it started taking reservations in the area below the Pool..... 

AND .... it allowed me to change the Routers IP back to x.x.x.1  !!!

Just like 'nuthin happened.

Thanks for that suggestion to use "Outside the Pool" mentality.....  it worked !

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

....and then... guess what...

I reset the router.... I manually put a LAN configuration in, only this time I used the 100-254 for the DHCP Pool, 192.168.0.2 for the Router and it's giving me errors again, exactly as before.

It worked when I changed the settings as I said above... then started it again from afresh and problem is back...

This is crazy.....

Message 11 of 14
antinode
Guru

> This is crazy.....

If it makes you feel any better, on the similar-sounding (but
different) D7000[v1], my DHCP pool is ".224" - ".239", with a score of
reservations at lower (ex-pool) addresses.  No such problems with any
firmware from 1.0.1.48 through 1.0.1.70.  (But my LAN IP address is
"10.0.0.1".)  My only usual pool-user is a Roku box (whose address I
never need).

I believe that a friend has an R7000 with some older firmware, a pool
like ".100" - ".199", a bunch of ex-pool reservations, and no such
problems.  His router's LAN IP address is "192.168.8.1".

> [...] at one time, there was a static 192.168.0.1 XEON machine on the
> LAN. [...]

> [...] I also want to avoid a massive update session... [...]

How "massive" would it be?

Message 12 of 14

@additude 

I'm using LAN IP 192.168.1.1 on R8000p, R7000 and R6400.  On the Orbi 192.168.0.1  This was the default.

My DHCP Pool on all of them is .100 ~.149 and all reservations live between .2 ~ .99 except on the Orbi which if I recall are .100 ~ .105

I haven't been to the property where I have that install for a few months and I use a configure once (set and forget).  If I have to touch it over and over, I'd switch brands.  Wife works from home 70% time.  I'd hear about it there were problems.  Many of us do this stuff for a living and the last thing we want is to come home and tinker on our own networks.

Message 13 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

So I've reset the router and got logged in and all.... I changed the router IP to 192.168.0.1 and created a DHCP Pool from 100-254...

Now I am adding all of my reservations just fine.

When I finish setup of 50+ reservations and the 10 port forwards..... + other things, I'll save the config file.....as 192.168.0.1 and then change it over to 192.168.0.2 and live with it that way....

What a challenge this has been.... it's got to be software related....

Now that I have it setup on 192.168.0.1 I can add Reservations below the DHCP Pool and as well as within the DHCP Pool. It doesn't matter... but set the router IP address to x.x.x.2 and it's "Out of Range" for any IP address..... Thats a bug...

Thanks for everyones input..... it's truly making it easier to "Cope" with this issue...

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7