Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot access routerlogin.net, have tried everything I know

JoanneJ
Aspirant

Cannot access routerlogin.net, have tried everything I know

I've been trying for a few months now to fix my Double NAT type on my Xbox, which requires me to login to my router. I have used routerlogin.net, and I have tried resetting the password. However, password reset is not enabled, and you can only enable it by logging in to the router. Every time I type in the username (admin) and password (password), the screen just reloads and the boxes that I have just typed the username and password into are empty. I use Chrome usually, but I just tried Firefox, to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated, I have spent lots of time trying to figure it out. Thanks

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions

Expert....

I own a XBOX One S Gears Of War Edition... Does that mean I'm an expert?

JoanneJ,

Disconnect your Nighthawk's WAN (yellow port) from the Rivah connection.

Connect your PC to one of the 4 available LAN ports on the Nighthawk.  Power up the router.  Wait a full 2 minutes.  Now use a toothpick to depress the reset button on the back of the router for 15 secs.  The lights (power LED, etc) should go out briefly.  Now release the button and allow the router to start.  Wait a full 2 min again.

PC - Open a command prompt and type the following at the prompt> ipconfig /all

Press Enter

What is listed for

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : its going to be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Use this address in your browser to reach your router's log in page.

Next steps.  Configure the router as an access point.   "AP Mode"  - Review your manual for this configuration.

Once set, connect the WAN port to the Rivah box.  >>>  You can do it.  Nothing to lose trying.  We're here to help.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 19

All Replies

Does your " tried everything I know" include all this stuff?

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

To help to narrow this down, what firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 2 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

I really don't know much about how the router works, or much about the subject in general. Where do I find what firmware version I'm using? I apologize for my lack of general knowledge on the subject. The extent of my knowledge when it comes to a Double NAT type is that the internet is being processed by two routers. However, we only have one router, and if there is a modem, I couldn't find it. The router is connected to a little box in the basement, but it had no markings whatsoever. I doubt this has anything to do with the problems I am having, but here is a picture of it. 20190218_191314.jpg

Message 3 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

I have just followed the link you gave me, and am trying to follow the directions. However, number 5 says "Select Start > Run. Type cmd. Type ping 192.168.1.1.
If message "Request timed out," displays, type ping 192.168.0.1.
If the message persists, your computer is not making a connection to the router." Where do I select Start? 

Edit: disregard this reply, I figured it out but it did not help. 

Message 4 of 19

That answers the question. That little box almost certainly isn't also a router.

Perhaps I should have asked what sort of internet you get. Cable and DSL need modems, and these sometimes also masquerade as routers.

Optical, for example, just has a terminal of some sort.

Did your research into this issue include a local search:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Double Nat Xbox

This shows several solved messages.

Message 5 of 19

Hi @JoanneJ & @michaelkenward 

JoanneJ,

We understand not everyone has a deep understanding of hardware, networking or routers.

Thanks for the picture you provided, it shows you have an ethernet connection in your basement.  What we don't know is whats "behind it".  Who installed that box? Is this box from a neighbor's connection?  Who is the ISP (service provider).  NBN? 

If your xbox is reporting double NAT, then it would appear there is some device behind that little box performing NAT (and possibly DHCP).  Do you get internet if you connect a computer to that "box"? 

Message 6 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

I followed the cable that connects to that box farther, and it goes directly into insulation so I couldn't follow it any farther. Our service provider is RivahNet. I'm unsure who installed the box, but I assume it was the service provider. How can I tell if I have DSL or Cable?

Message 7 of 19

@JoanneJ wrote:

How can I tell if I have DSL or Cable?

Ask RivahNet.

But this may answer the question.

Rivah.net

Does that look like your Internet service provider?

If so, it is, as I suspected, an optical connection, or Fiber to the Home (FTTH). Neither cable nor DSL.

Message 8 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

Yes, that is our provider.

Message 9 of 19

This brings us back to the comment by @shadowsports about something else being in there with NAT and/or DHCP.

It seems unlikely that there is a router "upstream" from your R7000.

Here is a tip I picked up recently from the excellent @ekhalil:

A simple and quick way to test if you have double NAT is using traceroute.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

> tracert 8.8.8.8

Look at the result printout, If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good. :)

The point here is to try to work out why your router rejects attempts to get to routerlogin.net and the other obvious addresses.

Message 10 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

The first hop listed 192.168.1.1, and the second listed 10.200.0.1. Not sure if thats information I shouldn't share online or not, but it solidifies that there is a Double NAT. Should I try accessing router login using the second address?

Message 11 of 19

The second one looks liked a private local address and, as you say, hints at a Double NAT.

Maybe you need a real expert to unravel what is going on and how it relates to the Xbox.

@JoanneJ wrote:

Should I try accessing router login using the second address?

I doubt if you will do much damage trying that.

Message 12 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

Thanks for your help, I will see about consulting an expert.

Message 13 of 19

Expert....

I own a XBOX One S Gears Of War Edition... Does that mean I'm an expert?

JoanneJ,

Disconnect your Nighthawk's WAN (yellow port) from the Rivah connection.

Connect your PC to one of the 4 available LAN ports on the Nighthawk.  Power up the router.  Wait a full 2 minutes.  Now use a toothpick to depress the reset button on the back of the router for 15 secs.  The lights (power LED, etc) should go out briefly.  Now release the button and allow the router to start.  Wait a full 2 min again.

PC - Open a command prompt and type the following at the prompt> ipconfig /all

Press Enter

What is listed for

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : its going to be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

Use this address in your browser to reach your router's log in page.

Next steps.  Configure the router as an access point.   "AP Mode"  - Review your manual for this configuration.

Once set, connect the WAN port to the Rivah box.  >>>  You can do it.  Nothing to lose trying.  We're here to help.

Message 14 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

That did the trick! I was successfully able to log on to the router and change it to AP mode, and it eliminated my Double NAT type on my Xbox One. It still lists my NAT as strict, do you have any tips for that? Thank you so much, you have been an enormous help

Message 15 of 19

Greetings JoanneJ,

Glad to hear it!  

Strict NAT (in your case) means your ISP blocks some of the ports XBox uses for XBLive multiplayer gaming.  It is still possible to play in the current config, but you might not be able to be the host of a match (for example).

There are a couple of ways to resolve this.  I am not familar with your internet provider and their site doesn't appear to have much technical information about their services besides SMTP settings for email.

-Try enabling UPnP on the router (Universal Plug and Play) - See yor manual, search for the term - This option is available in Router Mode for sure, might not be in "AP Mode"

-Give the XBox a static (fixed) IP address and forward the ports needed for XBLive.

Use this information as a guide 

-Contact Rivah and see if they will open the ports (in my link above) XBLive needs for Open NAT - they might have other customers who have requested this.

While some of this might appear overly complicated, it's not.  However, please understand these are limitations imposed by Rivah, and not by microsoft or netgear.  My username is my gamer tag on XBox.  Good Luck!

Message 16 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

Port forwarding isn't available in AP mode as you mentioned, but as soon as I switch it back to router mode, my double NAT type reappears, and I don't think I can forward ports if I have the double NAT

Message 17 of 19
JoanneJ
Aspirant

Okay I messed around with the settings a bit. I changed my static IP address and attempted to use the website to forward a couple ports, switched on UPnP, and my Double NAT type has disappeared once again. Should I try reserving the address in the LAN setup, and then enable DMZ for that address? Or should I contact Rivah and make sure those ports have been forwarded?

Message 18 of 19

@JoanneJ wrote:

Okay I messed around with the settings a bit. I changed my static IP address and attempted to use the website to forward a couple ports, switched on UPnP, and my Double NAT type has disappeared once again. Should I try reserving the address in the LAN setup, and then enable DMZ for that address? Or should I contact Rivah and make sure those ports have been forwarded?

Hi,

Based on the info you provided, it appears Rivah is performing NAT and/or blocking some or all of the ports XBLive needs to game. 

The UPnP option allows the router to dynamically open ports an application (like XBLive) needs to communicate.  Its less secure because it can announce a device's presence on the internet.  Given that Rivah is already performing NAT, this is probably not a serious security risk. 

As I mentioned, another option might be to contact Rivah and see if they will open the ports XBLive needs.  Since what Rivah is actually doing has not been confirmed, I'm offering solutions which should get your XBox (and home network)  out of a Double NAT situation.  This appears to have been successful.

There is no need to contact Rivah for them to verify open ports.  Can You See Me  allows you to check this yourself. 

I do think that contacting them to see what solutions they recommend for the for your situation might be helpful.  Again, they might be willing to allow traffic on the ports XBLive needs.  I doubt you are the first person who has asked for this. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7