Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access routerlogin.net

byteme67
Tutor

Cannot access routerlogin.net

I believe I am pretty tech savy when it comes to issues like this. But I've exhausted all avenues other than spending good money on something that should just typically plug in and "poof" we are working correctly. Anyway here is the theroy I have concluded. My modem (CMD31T) is connected to the new AC1900 R7000 router. The IP address I am getting looks to be one directly from the modem. So the connection from the computer to the router to modem is just "passing through" the router. It's like "hey I know you just got a new router but we don't need it and I am just going right through it and connecting directly to your comptuer."

This is what I have done.

1) Changed cables.

2) Changed position of the ethernet ports on the back.

3) reset the router (maybe half-dozen times) using the router reset button.

4) reset the modem using the modem reset button (a few times)

5) turned the computer on and off a copule of times

6) did ipconfig /release and /renew numerous times

7) downloaded the Nighthawk iOS app (will not connect)

😎 turned off Windows Firewall

9) and anything else that might make it work did not work. i.e. reading the support page and follwing their insturctions in regards to clearing the browser cache, typing 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, etc.

**edit**

10) disconnected modem from router just to be able to have access only to router did not work. Did not even get an IP address from the router.

I am running Windows 10, (home 64bit), I have 8GB ram. I use Firefox or Chrome as default browsers. I occasionaly use MS Edge but only in extreme rare cases that I need to use thinking that the other browsers are not "working." I use Windows defender and firewall as defualt.

HELPPP!!! please or any guideance would be appreciated. BTW I did do some community searching and nothing seemed to pertain to what I am going through.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Re: Cannot access routerlogin.net

I think @byteme67 has tried and exhausted all options, including direct connection from computer to router LAN, and he did not get 192.168.1.1 as the IP address of the Netgear router.
If that so, it is time to say goodbye to that particular router he has in his possession.
BR
Terry

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Cannot access routerlogin.net

What, exactly, happens when you try?

> [...] The IP address I am getting looks to be one directly from the
> modem.

What is that "The IP address I am getting"?  Determined how, exactly?
If it really is your public IP address, then disclosing the first two
octets ("a.b" out of "a.b.c.d") will do.

As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] the computer [...] Windows Firewall [...]

Open a Command Prompt (CMD.EXE) window, and run an "ipconfig"
command.  Report the "IPv4 Address", which should be the address of your
computer, and the "Default Gateway" address, which should be the address
of the router.  (Copy+paste is your friend, but not a strict requirement
in this case.)

> 9) and anything else that might make it work did not work.

"did not work" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say
what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> 10) disconnected modem from router just to be able to have access only
> to router did not work. [...]

That should work, if the R7000 is in its default (full-router) mode,
which it should be after a setting reset.  What, exactly does "using the
modem reset button" mean to you?  Did you hold it down long enough to
get unusual LED indicator activity?

> [...] Did not even get an IP address from the router.

Determined how, exactly?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  What are your LED
indicators doing through all this fun?

Message 2 of 7
byteme67
Tutor

@antinode wrote:

What, exactly, happens when you try?
I get this message: You are not connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.net, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. Check your current connection and try again.

What is that "The IP address I am getting"?  Determined how, exactly? I use the CMD.EXE and type the command IPCONFIG. Poof there it is. If it really is your public IP address, then disclosing the first two octets ("a.b" out of "a.b.c.d") will do. The IPv4 IP address is 76.101.xxx.xx. My Default Gateway is 76.101.xxx.x

Open a Command Prompt (CMD.EXE) window, and run an "ipconfig" command.  Report the "IPv4 Address", which should be the address of your computer, and the "Default Gateway" address, which should be the address of the router.  (Copy+paste is your friend, but not a strict requirement in this case.) I posted the IP addresses above.

"did not work" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations. This is a sarcastic remark!

That should work, if the R7000 is in its default (full-router) mode, which it should be after a setting reset. Theoretically YES you're right it should!! But it doesn't!!  What, exactly does "using the modem reset button" mean to you?  Factory Reset any and all settings should be defaulted back to original out of the box state. Did you hold it down long enough to get unusual LED indicator activity? Yepper count to 10 or when the light goes out and back on again. sometimes even longer which would be a moot point but still.

> [...] Did not even get an IP address from the router.

Determined how, exactly? Through the CMD.exe prompt and using the command IPCONFIG. The typical IP address of any router is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. That does not happen in my case for the Default Gateway. I mean I do get an IP address but I believe that is the IP address from the provider ("ComSUCKScast").  They seem to like to still control your stuff even though you BUY your own stuff.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look for Documentation.  YEP!! I have I wouldn't have posted here if I got an answer from reading and doing the necessary steps to get to this point!!  Get the User Manual.  Read.  What are your LED indicators doing through all this fun? Blinking, flashing, staying solid. Lighting up like a Christmas tree but only with fewer colors!! (sarcasam added). Look I know your answered and are trying to help although "vague" yes, I did list all the steps I have taken in order to clear this issues. They may not be in that order but I have done them.

After all this I am going to just take it back! This is ridiculous. Thanks for the help anyway. ("not being disrespectful") Just frustrated that something SOOOO simple should not take hours to correct and make it work. I have set up dozens of routers of all makes and models and this one has proven to be a disaster.

Message 3 of 7
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@byteme67

---- #10. Hooked up directly to router and did not even get the IP address---

It is time to return/exchange the router.

Message 4 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] You are not connected to your Router's WiFi network. [...]

Welcome to what may be the worst error message in the world.  For an
explanation, try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1365830

Briefly, the idea is that "[www.]routerlogin.net" (or ".com") should
point to your own router, but that's true only if you use your own
router for DNS name resolution.  Regardless, you should be able to get
to the thing using its IP address, if you can determine (or guess) that.
Normally, that would be something like "192.168.1.1", but it could be
different.

> [...] The IPv4 IP address is 76.101.xxx.xx. My Default Gateway is
> 76.101.xxx.x

Ok.  That's your external/public (Comcast) address.  You should get
that if your computer is connected directly to your cable modem, but not
if it's connect to a NAT router (like a normally configured R7000).
That would explain why "routerlogin.net" led you to that
misleading/useless error page.  (Although in this case, its message may
have been closer to the truth than it usually is.)

> [...] This is a sarcastic remark!

No, it really isn't.

> It is time to return/exchange the router.

It may be, but I'd run one more test first.  Disconnect the R7000
from everything but power.  Cable your Windows system to a LAN Ethernet
port on the R7000.  Don't involve the modem.  Reset the R7000 one more
time.  If/when it comes up, start the computer.  Verify the physical
link status from the R7000 port LED indicator (and/or any suitable LEDs
on the computer).  When it comes up, do one last ipconfig command.
(That should also show a "media" status.)  If the router is really bad,
then I'd expect to see a "self-assigned" address (169.254.g.h).  If
(through some miracle?) you get "192.168.1.X", then you can worry about
what happens when you try to connect the other equipment together.

Message 5 of 7
TerryPh
Virtuoso

I think @byteme67 has tried and exhausted all options, including direct connection from computer to router LAN, and he did not get 192.168.1.1 as the IP address of the Netgear router.
If that so, it is time to say goodbye to that particular router he has in his possession.
BR
Terry
Message 6 of 7
byteme67
Tutor

I got it as a "Repackage" from a local chain retailer. And the price was just right for me to be a sucker. I was just hoping that by some miracle this would get fixed.

I have another router *brandname withheld for discrimination* and it works sometimes. The WiFi sporadically goes out on our devices. Plus I got it about 7-8 years ago so I thought it might be a good time to "upgrade."

Thanks all for suggestions and help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7