× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot change DNS settings (R6120)

Falchion
Follower

Cannot change DNS settings (R6120)

I recently purchased an R6120 to replace my failed WiFi router.  Today, I tried to switch my DNS settings from automatic to manual settings (Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8) as I suspect my ISPs DNS servers are not performing very well.

I followed the instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/30510/How-do-I-set-static-Domain-Name-System-servers-on-my-NETGEAR-router

However, when I hit "Apply", I get a "403 Forbidden message".  I just logged in and have tried it a few different times and ways (both 192.168.1.1 and http://www.routerlogin.net/), but I always get the same results.

My firmware is V1.0.0.66.

I'm not using the SSO login (simply try to login 3 times and it will finally let you into the controls).  Initially, I had no trouble setting up my settings about a week ago.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Additionally, any ideas on how to eliminate the annoying SSO stuff?

Thank for your help!

Model: R6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: Cannot change DNS settings (R6120)

> [...] I get a "403 Forbidden message". [...]

Bad/corrupt firmware/settings?

> I'm not using the SSO login [...]

I don't know what that means.  These devices don't have a single
sign-on authentication scheme, only a simple user-name/password scheme,
not shared with anything.

> [...] (simply try to login 3 times and it will finally let you into
> the controls).

Perhaps it's not really letting you in so far as you think that it
is.

I'd do a settings reset, and manual (re-)configuration.  Get logged in
properly.

> My firmware is V1.0.0.66.

Try a different version?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 2 of 7
olekgor
Tutor

I managed to find the workaround.

To make changes in the "Internet setup" section, i.e. set static DNS servers for instance:

1. Disable internet access on the router (disconnect it from modem)

2. Make desired changes

3. Connect router to modem again.

Message 3 of 7
Mdetri
Aspirant

Hi, I connect to WiFi but my pages have been slow to load, only on my laptop, my cell phone is fine. I’ve been reading about DNS addresses. Do I need to change the DNA number on my router admin page? If so to what? And do I also have to change it on my computer settings? Thanks for any advice you can provide, I’ve been trying to fix this for weeks.
Message 4 of 7
Kingmiwok
Aspirant

I'm having the exact same problem with my R6210, however one of the google DNS server addresses I put in has been replaced by an unknown IP address (185.155.96.194), which I traced on RIPE.net to a server in Estonia.  So it looks like my router got hacked and they are trying to hijack my DNS traffic.  When I try to change the DNS, I get the very same 403 Forbiden message.   If I try to accept the ISPs DNS servers, I get the same error. 

I was able to flash the latest version of firmware to the router, and it's working better now, but the DNS setting is still there, and I still get the 403 forbidden errors.  I put that strange DNS server address into the blocked web sites area of router management, so maybe it's getting blocked.  I also highly specified the remote management IP address range.  

Prior to flashing the firmware, I tried backing up the router config file, editing that DNS field, and restoring that changed file back to the router.  It ignored the change.   (Or perhaps rejected the file.  I'm working remotely, so I lose connection to the router when it reboots, so I dont get to see all the screens.)   Perhaps I should try that again with the new firmware running.

I'm still not happy that DNS address is in there.  Other than hard resetting that router (which I'm remote of, so I'm not able to do now), I dont know what else to do.  Any advice woudl be welcome.

Message 5 of 7
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kingmiwok,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. May we know if you have tried loading a different firmware? Also, after you update the firmware, have you tried to reset the router and load your backup file on the r0uter? Please DM us the serial number of your R6120 router.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,
Oliver
Community Team

Message 6 of 7
Kingmiwok
Aspirant

Hi Oliver,

I was having the problem, then I loaded the latest firmware, and the problem is still there. The router is not physically close to me (1000s of miles away), and I will not be at it's location for a couple months.  I'm doing all of this remotely, so I'm not able to do a full reset at this time.  Additionally, I want to be there so I can resolve any issues that come up.  I can't risk making it inoperable, because I need the internet functioning there.

If I DM you the serial number, what will you do with that information?  As I mentioned, I can't risk you doing something that will make the router inoperable.  I don't have anyone there to fix it for me.

Glen

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7