Cannot connect HP printer to WiFi after router and extender upgrades

VTMartha1
Aspirant

Cannot connect HP printer to WiFi after router and extender upgrades

I have the R8500 router in my house and the AC 2200 extender in my barn, across the road.  They have worked together for nearly three years.  Yesterday, I realized that if I updated the extender firmware, I could have a ‘mesh’ type of system with the same network names in both places.  I did the update and also updated my router (although I might have missed a more recent update).  The barn WiFi works better than ever now but I find that my WiFi printer in the house does not connect.  It’s WiFi report says there are two routers connected and I should disconnect one.  Apparently it sees both the house and the barn and doesn’t know what to chose?  I’ve unplugged, restarted, deleted and reinstalled the printer with no success.  Also, while my iPad sees the main router just fine, my Mac thinks it can’t find the router.  The router is working fine and I have internet but my Mac does not seem to understand that.

i would appreciate any help getting my system working correctly again.  

Thank you!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Cannot connect HP printer to WiFi after router and extender upgrades

@VTMartha1 wrote:

It’s WiFi report says there are two routers connected and I should disconnect one.

Is this using the HP utility to manage the wifi connection to the printer? There's not much that you can do with the router, which just puffs out wifi. Getting a printer to do its stuff is down to the printer.

You might have to reset the printer to get it to forget the previous connection.

Similarly, wifi clients may remember past wifi connections, so get them to forget that they ever talked to the R8500.

If the printer has WPS, that might work.

There is a manual for the R8500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
VTMartha1
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect HP printer to WiFi after router and extender upgrades

@michaelkenward wrote:

@VTMartha1 wrote:

It’s WiFi report says there are two routers connected and I should disconnect one.

“Is this using the HP utility to manage the wifi connection to the printer? There's not much that you can do with the router, which just puffs out wifi. Getting a printer to do its stuff is down to the printer.”

Yes, I used the HP utility.  My computer may be the source of the problem as it doesn’t think it can find the router.  Your reminder above that the router just produces WiFi was very helpful.

“You might have to reset the printer to get it to forget the previous connection.”

Done this already as well as eliminated and reinstalled printer.  I had downloaded the router manual and guess I should look at it.  I will unplug the computer to see if that resets its memory.  Thank you.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements