Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect to router or internet

timtimtim333
Aspirant

Cannot connect to router or internet

I just changed my home network configuration.  With the old configuration, home servers, computers, and smartphones could connect to the router via wireless and ethernet cable, and to the internet.

The old configuration was a netgear nighthawk AC1900/R7000 connected to a netgear Prosafe FVS318 connected to a netgear cable modem CM1100.  We used the FV318 for seven (7) permanent ethernet connections. We used the AC 1900/R7000 for wireless connections and occassional temporary ethernet connections.

Very recently, the FV318 appeared to malfunction.  The ethernet connections repeatedly stopped working, which also caued the downstream AC1900/R7000 to stop working.  We could restore the ethernet connections to the FV318 by turning it off/on, but this restored connections for only a short while (several minute to a few hours).

For a  fix, we removed the FV318 and attached the AC1900/R7000 to the cable modem CM1100.  However, only one device (a laptop) can connect to the AC1900/R7000 and the internet.  Further, this one device (a laptop) can only connect to the internet wirelessly.  Although this one device can connect to the AC1900/R7000 with ethernet, but it cannot connect to the internet using ethernet.

No other devices can connect to the AC1900/R7000 using wireless or eithernet.

Please help:  How do I get all of my devices to connect to the AC1900/R7000 and to the internet?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot connect to router or internet

You didn't happen to have the R7000 running in access point mode did you? 

The CM1100 is a modem only so it assigns 1 public ip address. If you're in ap mode, there isn't a dhcp server and only 1 device would connect. 

Have you tried just factory resetting the R7000 and reinstalling it from a clean install (not a backup configuration)

Message 2 of 4
timtimtim333
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  In respone to your two questions:  (1)  The R7000 is in AP Mode.  The netgear genie states:  "Operation mode:Access Point" in yellow font. (I think the yellow font means there is no internet acces).

(2) I have not yet tried a factory reset and clean reinstall.  I'm afraid this will eliminate my one existing access to the internet through the R7000.

Any suggetions for what I should do next?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@timtimtim333 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  In respone to your two questions:  (1)  The R7000 is in AP Mode.  The netgear genie states:  "Operation mode:Access Point" in yellow font. (I think the yellow font means there is no internet acces).

(2) I have not yet tried a factory reset and clean reinstall.  I'm afraid this will eliminate my one existing access to the internet through the R7000.

Any suggetions for what I should do next?---disabled access point mode. The modem doesn't have a dhcp server since its a modem only and in access point mode, only 1 device will get a connection. That'd be the one that first connects and gets assigned the public ip address from the modem. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7