Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot get 1G Wifi on AC4000 (R8000P) router

joeblowe
Follower

Cannot get 1G Wifi on AC4000 (R8000P) router

I just upgraded my internet to 1000Mbps from 400. I have a Nighthawk AC4000 modem, which is supposed to be rated 4000Mbps. I cannot get any faster than 600. Used the Speedtest app. This is what I have tried to date:

1. Replaced the modem - needed to anyway for the 1G speed. If I connect my computers wired directly, I get at least 1000 with no problem. Wifi only gets me up to 600 at the most. When I had 400, I got 400 wirelessly.
  2. At the recommendation of Netgear, reset the modem back to factory settings. Unplugged my modem as well.
  3. After reset, made sure my Mac was the only device on one of the two 5Ghz bands. Both bands yielded the same results - no more than 600.

At this point I'm at a loss. Netgear tried to sell me on their service plan which I will not do. It is clear this issue is with the router, not the modem.

Help!

Message 1 of 3
microchip8
Master

Re: Cannot get 1G Wifi on AC4000 (R8000P) router

Speed depends on your WiFi device and router. If your WiFi device can't do more than that, then you won't get any better. Keep in mind that WiFi speed from the router are theoretical. These speeds are measured in perfect conditions and will not represent real-world usage.
Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cannot get 1G Wifi on AC4000 (R8000P) router

@joeblowe wrote:

I just upgraded my internet to 1000Mbps from 400. I have a Nighthawk AC4000 modem, which is supposed to be rated 4000Mbps. <4000 is a combined wifi connection rate speed. Not actual thru-put bandwidth speeds. 

I cannot get any faster than 600. Used the Speedtest app. This is what I have tried to date:

1. Replaced the modem - needed to anyway for the 1G speed. If I connect my computers wired directly, I get at least 1000 with no problem. Wifi only gets me up to 600 at the most. When I had 400, I got 400 wirelessly.<Depending on wifi device, most usually top out at anywhere from 300Mpbs to 500Mpbs on 5Ghz AC. You'll never see anything near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz AC unless you have both router and devices that support 160Mhz channel width on 5Ghz AC. 
  2. At the recommendation of Netgear, reset the modem back to factory settings. Unplugged my modem as well.
  3. After reset, made sure my Mac was the only device on one of the two 5Ghz bands. Both bands yielded the same results - no more than 600.

At this point I'm at a loss. Netgear tried to sell me on their service plan which I will not do. It is clear this issue is with the router, not the modem.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7