crad
Aspirant

Cannot install R7000 on Windows 10 machine.

Bought R7000 last night. Attempted to install this morning. Follwed all instructions to the letter. Opened browser and no Genie. Tried IE and could not connect. Tried 192.168.1.1 and no go in either browser. Turned everything off and started over. Same results. Moved Ethernet cable to another port. No go. Put old router back in place so I could access Internet. Anyonw have any ideas as to why computer will not see the router? Thanks.

Message 1 of 20
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Re: Cannot install R7000 on Windows 10 machine.

It should be as simple as opening your browser and typing "routerlogin.net" in the browser bar. Do you have an ethernet connection on your PC? What do the lights on the R7000 indicate?

Message 2 of 20
TheEther
Guru

Is your Windows 10 machine using DHCP to acquire an IP address?  Connect your machine to any R7000 LAN port using an Ethernet cable.  Click on the Network icon on the notification bar (usually on the bottom right) In Windows 10.  This will bring up a pull up menu that will tell you if the network is connected.  Click on the icon in the pull up menu.  This will bring up the network settings.  Click on your connected device.  Your machine's IP address will be displayed here.  It should be 192.168.1.X if your R7000 is still using factory settings.  If it's different, then your R7000 may have been reconfigured (i.e. it could be a refurbished or a customer return).  You can reset it to factory settings by pushing the physical reset button for at least 7 seconds.  Then try the above again.

You can also use the old ways of finding your IP address.  ipconfig /all from a Command Prompt or digging into the Network and Sharing Center Control Panel.

Message 3 of 20
crad
Aspirant

Machine is using DHCP. Address is 192.168.1.2. Now when I reconnected my old Netgear router I can no longer access the router by typing 192.168.1.1 as I always could in the past. Any ideas why this has happened?

Message 4 of 20
crad
Aspirant

I should also state that I CAN access the old router from one of my wireless computers by typing 192.168.1.1.

Message 5 of 20
TheEther
Guru

I'm not sure what's going on with your old router.  Now that we've established that your Windows PC is using DHCP, go ahead and plug it into a R7000 LAN port.  Open a Command Prompt, type ipconfig /all and make note of the default gateway.  This is the IP address of the R7000.  You should be able to enter that address into the browser and log into the R7000.  Proceed to set it up, then install it into your network in place of your old router.

Message 6 of 20
Beegoi
Tutor

I have the exact same problem using a Windows 10 machine.  I was not able to login to the R7000.  I followed the instructions and the suggestions in this post.  When I reconnected my old Netgear N600 router I was not able to login either using 192.168.1.1.  I was able to login to the N600 using a different PC.

Message 7 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Have you tried to turn off firewall or antivirus? Also can you ping the default gateway? If yes, may I know what is your antivirus or firewall installed on your computer?

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 8 of 20
Beegoi
Tutor

I turned off my antivirus (Kaspersky).   I am able to ping 192.168.1.1.  The R7000 router issues my PC the address 192.168.1.2.

Still not having any luck (i.e. no login prompt when I enter 192.168.1.1 nor www.routerlogin.net

I am running Windows 10 and tried using Chrome and IE.

Message 9 of 20
doraemon
Prodigy

Try to use a different pc or a smart phone?

Connect to the wireless network of the router then see if your smart phone will get an IP.

If it does, try to access the page from there.

------------------------------
gimme dorayaki Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Beegoi,

If you can ping the router but cannot access UI, please try these steps for Kaspersky:

1. Open Kaspersky Internet Security and go to "Settings".

2. On the left pane, click on "Additional". Then, select "Threats and Exclusions".

3. Click "Configure exclusions".

4. Click "Add". Then, browse for your Internet browser's folder location and Select it.

5. Status of the browser should be “Active”.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 11 of 20
Beegoi
Tutor

I was able to login successfully using another wired PC and also with my smartphone.  I did not have to change Kaspersky.

My only remaining issue is that the my other 2 PCs that I attempted to login with still cannot log in to the R7000 nor my old Netgear N6000 router.  The only thing I did differently for these 2 PCs is that I tried to log into the R7000 without first connecting the R7000 to the modem.

Any idea what I need to do to fix these PCs?

Thanks in advance

Message 12 of 20
sURFNmADNESS
Aspirant

Having same problem with accessing new R7000 via wireless on Windows 10 machine.  

I can access via Android Cell phone and another machine that is on the wired network with Windows 10.   I too, have Kaspersky running on this HP laptop and Android.  I tried the permit execption, no such fix.  I am able to access the router on another machine running Windows 10 but no Kaskpersky.  On the HP though, no matter what browser is used, Chrome, IE, Edge, Opera and Firefox.  Same error message....

This webpage is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
The connection to 192.168.1.1 was interrupted.
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

I have checked name resolution for www.routerlogin.net and it is resolving to 192.168.1.1.   I have tried to disable Antivirus, Proxy etc and even loaded up the latest Intel drivers for my Wifi Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.   I tried to change to static IP address on the network instead of DHCP from the router.  And as a last ditch effort, I hooked up a Meraki WiFi to the lan port on the router and joined it, and tried to connect over WiFi (connected to the Meraki) but coming into the Netgear over a wired port.  This still did not work.  Kaskersky must be doing something that netgear is not liking even when it is suspended.   I cannot use the laptop to connect over wired or wifi to this router.  This laptop w Kaspersky works just fine to other routers, Cisco, Meraki, TP-Link, Dlink etc.    

I must also mention I have 25+ yrs experience as Windows/Cisco network profession.  There is obviously something Windows 10 TCP/IP stack & Kapersky is doing that the Netgear Genie is not liking nor the webpage.   
Message 13 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Beegoi and @sURFNmADNESS,

Can you try the steps I have suggested for Kaspersky?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 14 of 20
sURFNmADNESS
Aspirant

Yes.

I tried the exceptions.  Added 3 Genie programs to the exception programs.  

NETGEARGenieDaemon64.exe

NETGEARGenie.exe

NetgearGenieDaemon.exe

All are currently status Active for trusted apps.  

I even tried to add Chrome to exclusions just to get into via 192.168.1.1.  Still get error not being able to get to website.  

Know this has to be something with Kaspersky not trusting something Netgear Genie and router's website are doing.   

Message 15 of 20
Beegoi
Tutor

Hi,

Yes, I also tired adding the exceptions to Kaspersky with no luck.

I was able to login using my wired PC when I tried 192.168.1.1 before Kaspersky was fully operational (when I was booting my machine).  Once Kaspersky finished starting up, I was always able to login using 192.168.1.1.   I then thought everything was good and rebooted my PC and let Kaspersky startup completely and then I wasn't able to login to the router.  I repeated this cylce a couple of times and it was repeatable.  

The really strange thing is when I started my PC this evening and let Kaspersky startup completely and I was able to login.

I am aslo convinced that all my problems started when I disconnected my N600 router and connected it to the R7000.  The R7000 wasn't connected to the internet and I was able to login.  I then moved reconnected my trusted Netgear N600 router and wasn't able to login.   I've never had a problem logging into the N600 until I tried (unsuccessfully) to log into the R7000.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this issue is gone... although I didn't do anything to correct this problem.

Message 16 of 20
sURFNmADNESS
Aspirant

My R7000 is doing something that keeps resetting connections to my Sonos system here also.   I cannot launch any music on any of the speakers without the controller barking about unable to buffer/connect or some other sort of failure to load.   Multiple hours now, resetting, reloading, rediscovering devices and not one single thing has improved.   

Been only 72 hours now with this router and that is 1 hour too many.  Ordered another brand/replacement tonight.  This one will be going back to the store for a refund.  

Message 17 of 20
Beegoi
Tutor

Hi sURFNmADNESS,

I'm going to follow your lead and return the router too.  What I thought was a 'workaround' is no longer working...  I'm done trying to get the login for this router to work reliably.

Message 18 of 20
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please try to uninstall the Kaspersky for the meantime and access the router's page. If ever you can access it without the Kaspersky then try reinstalling it.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 19 of 20
n1cks21
Aspirant

Thank you JamesGL

I had exactly the same issue, Windows 10, Kaspersky Internet Security and a R7000, everything worked fine all devices connected to the internet, I could ping 192.168.1.1 just not connect to it.

followed the above advice and uninstalled Kaspersky (kis16.0.0.614en_8210)  which worked, I could connect to 192.168.1.1 with no issues, I then downloaded and installed the latest version of KIS  (kis16.0.0.614en_8626) and all is well.................. happy days.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements