Re: Cannot login, reset continued button grayed, and Netgear lost my account

NG7856
Tutor

Cannot login, reset continued button grayed, and Netgear lost my account

I logged in a few days ago without a problem.  However, today my password does not work, and the recovery reset screen has the continued button grayed-out. 

1. I have connected directly to the router with Windows, MAC, and Chromebook and with WIFI with Pixelbook, Kindles, and Iphones. 

2. I have used a variety of browsers, Sarfari, IE, Chrome, Silk, Dolphin,etc. 

3. I have rebooted the router, used the IP address. and routerlogin.net to try to login.

4.The router had the latest firmware and enabled recovery with the two questions.

5. I have tried many of the setting options on the browsers with the same results.  Besides, I just logged a few days ago to view attached devices and it worked great.

I hate to do a factory reset, and the question is, 'Will that fix the problem?"

I do not have automatic firmware updates so i do not know what could have changed. 

The problem:

1. It no longer accepts my password and

2. after entering the SN, the button remains grayed-out.

I have read all the solutions for the login problem, and all seemed to end in factory reset.  I am hoping for a better solution.  However, I did make a backup of the settings on a flash drive - Do you think that will help re-configure?

I had to create a new Netgear account because my old account was gone and my email was missing.  However, after I created the new account, it found all my routers and their SN.  I do not think this is related to the login problem since I assume the password information is all stored locally.

The router is working, but since i cannot login, I cannot update the firmware which is a major problem.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] I hate to do a factory reset, and the question is, 'Will that
> fix the problem?"

It should.

> [...] I did make a backup of the settings on a flash drive - Do you
> think that will help re-configure?

You can try it, but if the original problem involved corrupt
settings, then restoring the old settings may restore the old problem.
Only one (practical) way to find out.

> [...] I assume the password information is all stored locally.

For the router's "admin" account, yes.

Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Well, first, did you CHANGE the LOGIN USERID and PASSWORD when you set up the router? Default is lowercase admin and password, but there could be different ones on the router label on the bottom (most newer product has this, older product does not). If you never changed them then make sure CAPS LOCK is not on. Those credentials are case sensitive.

Gray'ed out button... usually because when you set up the router you never entered any questions. Happens a lot as that recovery feature was added possibly into the f/w after your router was shipped with older f/w that did not have it. Applying the f/w that does does NOT ask you to create those answers.

May be forced to do the Factory Reset and re-enter settings manually, although you could try the saved settings. They could be the root cause here though as they may have the userID and password you don't know? I guess you could reset, see if you can get into the router, restore the settings using the saved configuration file, works fine, done. Back to where you were, reset and then manually reenter the settings seems like the way to go here.

Message 3 of 5
Burmanoid
Tutor

i had the same problem, the html in the router password recovery built-in web page has a bug, I got past it using Chrome developer tools.  Whenever I couldn't click on a grey button I did this ( think 3 buttons had to be edited).

1) fill in the form

2) right mouse click on grey button and choose Inspect

3) in right window near cursor find  "disabled" (button attribute) click on it to highlight, delete word and press return

4) you can now click on the grey button

Yay!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 5
Plexander
Aspirant

Burmanoid nailed it, perfectly!  Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E