Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot see my netgear router R7000 network

Damen
Aspirant

Cannot see my netgear router R7000 network

Hello,

Yesterday my netgear network disappeared.  I can still see my BT wifi but none of my devices can see the netgear router.

The usual array of flashing leds are all off with the exception of power, internet and USB 1.  I have powered everything down (BT hub and netgear) but have been unable to recover it.  

Going to www.routerlogin.net returns the message that I am not connected to the router.

I have downloaded the latest firmware though no idea if this is necessary.  I have not installed the firmware as cannot connect to router.

Any help appreciated.  Many thanks

Damen

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

It is the modem you need to tweak.

You can probably find tips on this on the BT user forum.

For example:

Solved: Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only? - IT WOR... - BTCare Community Forums

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
Damen
Aspirant

Quick update:  Started unplugging the cables to try another power down/up cycle when I noticed the reset button at the back of the unit.  A quick press with a pen and everything has burst back into life again.

Solution:  Press reset 

Regards

Damen

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If your BT HUB has a built in router, this could also be a cause if you add another router. I recommend bridging the ISP Modem if you can. 

Message 3 of 11
Damen
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  It had been working fine for almost 6 months.  I needed the router to accommodate more devices, BT struggles at 10 and starts kicking devices off at random.  Will investigate merits of bridging.

Cheers

Damen

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

It's always recommended and repreferred to use briding on modems with routers built in. External routers are more robust and have better HW. ALso if you can bridge the modem, see if it has a DMZ, if so, you can use the modems DMZ for your R7000 router. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 11
Damen
Aspirant

My router has failed again.  Same problem as above; none of my devices can see it.  Reset is not recovering it.

My PC (Macbook pro) does not have an ethernet port so cannot connect to the router to try updating firmware etc.

The router is six months old so no free phone support with netgear.

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

Damen

Message 6 of 11

@Damen wrote:

My router has failed again.  Same problem as above; none of my devices can see it.  Reset is not recovering it.

But it is still in warranty.

First heed FURRYNUTZ's advice. You need to work out how to get the R7000 to work with the modem. And this involves starting things in the right order so that they can work out which addresses to use.

The quick start explains what to do:

>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Is this a Homehub? Which variety?

Message 7 of 11
Damen
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Most strange it has started working again.  I have now moved it away from possible small child interference though I am not convinced this is an issue but like to eliminate that potential 'failure mode'.

Hub is a BT homehub 5.

Now that I can see the netgear router and therefore talk to it I will bridge it.

Cheers

Message 8 of 11

It is the modem you need to tweak.

You can probably find tips on this on the BT user forum.

For example:

Solved: Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only? - IT WOR... - BTCare Community Forums

Message 9 of 11
Damen
Aspirant

Thanks for the link Michael it is very informative.

Much appreciated.

Message 10 of 11

Good luck with the Homehub. I don't like it. I use a Netgear D6400 modem/router on my main phone line.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7