Re: Cannot setup vpn for my mac

KevinSharku
Aspirant

Cannot setup vpn for my mac

Hi all,

I am setting a vpn in my R7800. After downloading the vpn configuration file (smartphone vpn configuration file), it works fine in my iphone, but it doesn't work for my mac (mac vpn configuration file)...

The msg from Tunnelblick said

write to TUN/TAP : Input/output error (code=5)

when try to connect vpn...

Anyone have idea about that??

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
KevinSharku
Aspirant

I have tried differetn method, and now find that the issue is due to TAP TUN.

I tried change the setting from TAP to TUN, then everything is ok. But I would like to use TAP....

Any ideas?

Message 2 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi KevinSharku,

Can you provide me the logs of your VPN when using TAP. Send it via private message.

Message 3 of 12
dbfclark
Aspirant

I am having what I suspect is this same problem (haven't tried converting from TAP to TUN though). Can you be sure to post an answer if you find it?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 12
KevinSharku
Aspirant

dbfclark

of course, i am happy to do so

I have sent the log file to JamesGL, see how's he reply...

Will update here

Message 5 of 12
KevinSharku
Aspirant

actually, i found that

1) when use TAP, my mac can get ip, and can access my router page successfully. but cannot get on to the internet.

2) when switching to TUN, i can acess internet successfully. i think it's normal that cannot access router page in TUN, casue it is using different ip pool

3) i think the openvpn file for iphone is in TUN, and it works fine in my iphone and ipad

i am using macbook with macos sierra, same issue exist in Tunnelblick and Viscosity

are you having the same issue?

Message 6 of 12
dbfclark
Aspirant

Actually, it looks like I simply can't connect successfully to my VPN, TAP or TUN or anything else. Error code 5 is abundant.

I'd still like to know what your resolution was, though.

Message 7 of 12
garyhoooper
Aspirant

I am seeing this same issue.  Works fine from my iOS devices, but from my Mac, I cannot connect, and receive the error:

2017-11-04 15:07:34 write to TUN/TAP : Input/output error (code=5)

Has anyone solved this.

Message 8 of 12
KevinSharku
Aspirant

I think iOS does not support TAP vpn, you may consider to use TUN instead.

For the macbook issue, I think it is because of the frameware of the router. After updating the frameware yesterday, I am able to use both TAP and TUN in my macbook...
Message 9 of 12
garyhoooper
Aspirant

VPN works fine for me on iOS.  As with others, it is failing on Mac. ( I am using the latest released version of the Orbi firmware.)

Message 10 of 12
KevinSharku
Aspirant

I think if TAP or TUN is not a concern when you use vpn on your Macbook, I will suggest you to try using TUN on your Macbook, because it always works fine for me.

Open the .config file with TextEdit, which you download from the router admin page. Change 'dev tap' to 'dev tun' and change the udp port, then save and import to your openvpn software as usual.

Message 11 of 12
garyhoooper
Aspirant

This is not working for me.  I get the following error:

2017-11-17 20:15:25 TCP/UDP: Incoming packet rejected from [AF_INET]172.16.0.1:12973[2], expected peer address: [AF_INET]EXTERNAL_IP:12973 (allow this incoming source address/port by removing --remote or adding --float)

Does dhcp-client-request.sh also need to change, to refer to tun instead of tap?

/usr/sbin/ipconfig set tap0 dhcp

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E