Cannot update or access router login for R7000 on any device

R700frustrated
Aspirant

Cannot update or access router login for R7000 on any device

I recently got an email indicating that I need to upgrade my firmware for my Nighthawk R7000.  I clicked on the links for the router login for the .com and .net links on different browsers and different computers.  Every single time, I get a message saying that the page cannot be found.  I tried turning of my firewall on two devices...same thing.  I tried plugging one device in with an ethernet cabe AND turning off my firewall and clicking on the icon for the router and got the same message.  I found my IP address and tried using that as per the directions from another support thread.  Same thing.  Just FYI, I used to have the Netgear Genie on my desktop and tried looking for that, since previously upgrading was very easy with this.  I have Windows 10 now and can't find Genie.  I found the "solved" section in the community forum for that issue, because that has apparently happened to others,  and tried downloading Genie as they recommended numerous times on both my desktop and laptop (which also has Windows 10), but always get error messages when I try to open it after it was downloaded.  I tried installing the Genie app on my iPhone and manually entered the IP address.  I tried using both the local and the remote choices.  The "local", just keeps sending me back to the device login page.  The "remote" asks me to enter my Netgear username and password, which I do, but then says that I need to enter a confirmation number from an email that never arrives.  If I hit the resend email button, I get an error message.  Thank God the router is at least still working, but this is really frustrating.  Since it's out of warranty, I would have to buy a support package and, I'm sorry, but I can't help wondering if this isn't akin to what Apple was doing to either force people to buy a new device or purchase a support package.  Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: Cannot update or access router login for R7000 on any device

That's a large wodge of solid text, but if I read between the lines it seems that you cannot login to the router's browser interface.

Is that it?

Did your research turn up this?

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
R700frustrated
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you for replying and I'm sorry for my lengthy post.  As my username says, I was frustrated!  Anyway, thank you for this suggestion.  I had not come across it.  I'll give it a try this weekend and see if that helps.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] I found my IP address and tried using that as per the directions
> from another support thread.  [...]

What was that "my IP address"?  Which "another support thread"?

> [...] I used to have the Netgear Genie on my desktop [...]

I'd avoid any Genie apps, and stick with the (simpler, more reliable)
web-browser interface.

Message 4 of 5
R700frustrated
Aspirant

Just wanted to let you know that it worked.  Thank you.  

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements