Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant find 60 GHz network on list of WiFi networks!

WillRaasch
Aspirant

Cant find 60 GHz network on list of WiFi networks!

Like the subject says I cant find the network that I bought the router for. but I can find the other two networks on the list.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Cant find 60 GHz network on list of WiFi networks!

Of course, there are clients supporting 802.11ad (WiGig) on 60 GHz - however, there are not many yet, some Acer notebook models (we're using two here). It's a brilliant technology, blazignly fast for wireless - however, users must be aware that this works within a few meters from the R9000 (Nighthawk X10) and in direct line of sight only.

@ChristineT has already prepared a generic reply with some links -> Can't see your Nighthawk X10 60 GHz WiFi network?

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

What do you mean?  There are no 60 GHz network cards so you will not be able to see or use it for at least a year or two from now.

You should be able to see it turned on and off when you log into the router.

Message 2 of 13
WillRaasch
Aspirant

so this will not show up? Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 13

What hardware are we talking about here?

Message 4 of 13
WillRaasch
Aspirant

Well I have a nighthawk x10 with the newest firmware and a modem from commcast:

20170220_120837.jpg

20170220_120853.jpg

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 13
LeeH
Prodigy

As far as i know there is no client in existence for 60 GHz.  You can't even buy anything that will let you see or use the 60 GHz 802.11 ad signal. 

This may change in a year or two,  there is also another standard called 802.11 ax that will be coming out.   So these standards may be supported in the future by devices that can use these new standards.

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@LeeH wrote:

As far as i know there is no client in existence for 60 GHz. 

There are a couple out there, but they are rare. 

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ad_Hardware (scroll down to the bottom to see the clients).

Message 7 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Of course, there are clients supporting 802.11ad (WiGig) on 60 GHz - however, there are not many yet, some Acer notebook models (we're using two here). It's a brilliant technology, blazignly fast for wireless - however, users must be aware that this works within a few meters from the R9000 (Nighthawk X10) and in direct line of sight only.

@ChristineT has already prepared a generic reply with some links -> Can't see your Nighthawk X10 60 GHz WiFi network?

Message 8 of 13
William10a
Master

When the 60ghz market does takes off gamers will love it when playing games against other gamers. 

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

When the 60ghz market does takes off gamers will love it when playing games against other gamers. 

Until a family member steps between their gaming system and the router Smiley Frustrated

I'm not convinced 60 ghz will take off any time soon. It makes sense with an Orbi architecture, with low-power satellites in every room.  But I don't see that as mainstream, and the distance is just too short to be useful without a dense deployment of APs . 

Message 10 of 13
William10a
Master

I see what you mean like inferred used on older laptops and tv remotes block the beam and they are useless.

Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

I see what you mean like inferred used on older laptops and tv remotes block the beam and they are useless.

Yes, though it's not as bad as infrared.

The 60 Ghz band is unlicensed for a reason - oxygen molecules in the atmosphere absorb signals between 57-64 Ghz.  So it can't propagate far, and blocking the direct signal path to the router has a big impact.

Message 12 of 13
William10a
Master

For better or worst 60ghz laptop recieves are shown in review on new wifi devices the post that has this link 60ghz recievers and go into the ad standard a little.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7