Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant log into night hawk r7000

kasek
Aspirant

Cant log into night hawk r7000

I recently got a raspberry pi to set up pi hole and pivpn. It requires me to log into my router to be able to hook them up. I have the netgear genie app installed on my pc and when I try and log into the router settings I get the message:

"NETGEAR router is not found or is not supported. Also make sure the device is not connected to the guest network of the router, and no IPv6 is enabled."

I have reset the router to make sure i had the password correct, now my wifi name and password are the original from the sticker as well. I dont know if this would affect anything but I am a renter and have a wifi booster plugged into the wall downstairs and then an ethernet cable plugged from that to my router. I have tried the internet cable plugged into the internet port and the 1 port. When it is plugged into the 1 i at least get internet. Plugged into the internet port I get nothing. Please help me figure out how to log in so i can hook up my pivpn

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cant log into night hawk r7000

@kasek wrote:
AP mode?

There is support material for the R7000, including a manual, at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 16

All Replies

@kasek wrote:

I dont know if this would affect anything but I am a renter and have a wifi booster plugged into the wall downstairs and then an ethernet cable plugged from that to my router.

Possibly. If there is already a router "upstream" of your device, you are asking for trouble.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

So, what provides your Internet? A modem/router of some sort?

Message 2 of 16
kasek
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I believe he has it hooked up like this:
Modem > router > booster (plugged into the wall and hooked up via Ethernet upstairs) > booster (plugged into th e wall downstairs) > my router (via Ethernet) > my pc (Ethernet)

I get the conflict with the double routers. How ever my previous basement suite I was able to log into it, I actually bought it while in that place. It was hooked up : modem> Router> Ethernet cable ran downstairs > my router

Only difference I can see is the booster but I have no way of removing that
Message 3 of 16

@kasek wrote:

I get the conflict with the double routers. How ever my previous basement suite I was able to log into it, I actually bought it while in that place. It was hooked up : modem> Router> Ethernet cable ran downstairs > my router

That's odd. Two routers usually cause these problems. Maybe your previous location had something else.

The obvious answer is to switch your R7000 to AP mode.

Message 4 of 16
kasek
Aspirant

AP mode?
Message 5 of 16

@kasek wrote:
AP mode?

There is support material for the R7000, including a manual, at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See the section Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

Message 6 of 16
kasek
Aspirant

I have it set up right now as an access point. The internet cable from my booster is in port 1 not the internet port. My pc is running into port 4, and all my wireless stuff (iPhone, xbox, iPad etc) use the wifi from my router. I just don’t understand why I can’t log into it now but at the old place almost same setup I could.
Message 7 of 16
antinode
Guru

> [...] a wifi booster [...]

I'll bite.  What's "a wifi booster"?  Does this one have a maker and
model number?

> I have it set up right now as an access point. The internet cable from
> my booster is in port 1 not the internet port. [...]

Why?  Did you look at the relevant instructions in the R7000 User
Manual?

What, exactly, fails, how, exactly?  "Can[']t" is not a useful
problem description.  It does not say what you did.  It does not say
what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions with
their actual results (error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more
helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

Message 8 of 16
kasek
Aspirant

I’m at work right now I’ll take a look at home at the instructions you posted. I had hooked up this way by the manual that was in the box when I bought it. So I just hooked it up the same way this time. I’ll get the model and name of the booster when I get home as well. The can’t can’t log in error message is the same as posted in the original post.
Message 9 of 16
antinode
Guru

> [...] The can't can't log in error message is the same as posted in
> the original post.

Ah.

> [...] I have the netgear genie app installed on my pc [...]

Have you tried using a web browser, instead?  Much less
Netgear-supplied software that way.

Message 10 of 16

@kasek wrote:
I have it set up right now as an access point. The internet cable from my booster is in port 1 not the internet port.

Why? Did you read the manual for how to set up a Wireless Access Point? (See above.)

@kasek wrote:
I just don’t understand why I can’t log into it now but at the old place almost same setup I could.

Different place, different network, especially as you seem to have decided to use an odd setup. The standard login regime is based on the R7000 being a router and not having anything else on the network that gets in the way and confuses the issue.

If the R7000 is running as a wifi access point, you will not be able to login using the same details.

You also lose other features as an AP:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

To login now, you need to track down the IP address of the AP.

If it is broadcasting a wifi signal, then trying point a browser at the IP address of that source.

Then again, who knows what this magic "booster" might be and what sort of network you now have?

@kasek wrote:
....all my wireless stuff (iPhone, xbox, iPad etc) use the wifi from my router.

By "router" do you mean the R7000 access point?

Message 11 of 16
kasek
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@kasek wrote:
I have it set up right now as an access point. The internet cable from my booster is in port 1 not the internet port.

Why? Did you read the manual for how to set up a Wireless Access Point? (See above.)

Ill re-read it i had read the hard copy in the box when setting it up years ago.

@kasek wrote:
I just don’t understand why I can’t log into it now but at the old place almost same setup I could.

Different place, different network, especially as you seem to have decided to use an odd setup. The standard login regime is based on the R7000 being a router and not having anything else on the network that gets in the way and confuses the issue.

If the R7000 is running as a wifi access point, you will not be able to login using the same details.

You also lose other features as an AP:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

To login now, you need to track down the IP address of the AP.

If it is broadcasting a wifi signal, then trying point a browser at the IP address of that source.

Then again, who knows what this magic "booster" might be and what sort of network you now have?

i will give this a try and see if that works. the booster im using is a tp-link 300mbps wi-fi range extender AV600 powerline edition TL-WPA4220

@kasek wrote:
....all my wireless stuff (iPhone, xbox, iPad etc) use the wifi from my router.

By "router" do you mean the R7000 access point?

yes, can i set this up as not an AP then? Sorry i know nothing about all this stuff. Or am i stuck as an AP being that im running out of their router upstairs?

Message 12 of 16
kasek
Aspirant

i got it, i reset it and went through every step and finally its set up. Wish i could find the instruction booklet and what page i had read to set it up that way. worked great in the old place but terribly here. now to get this pihole and pivpn working

Message 13 of 16

@kasek wrote:

Wish i could find the instruction booklet and what page i had read to set it up that way.

I provided you with a link to the documentation for the R7000 several messages back.

Re: Cant log into night hawk r7000 - NETGEAR Communities

More generally, if you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation and software.

Message 14 of 16
kasek
Aspirant

I know i ment the documents that i read to set it up that way. I dont know why I would have done that without seeing or being told that. ive hooked up my parents router and know that the cable normally goes into the internet port. I dont know why I would have stuck it in the 1-4 ports without some sort of guidance to do it.

Message 15 of 16
antinode
Guru

> [...] I dont know why I would have done that without seeing or being
> told that. [...]

If you take a typical router which lacks a specific WAP-configuration
feature, and configure it as a WAP, then you'd typically use one of its
LAN ports for the connection to the main (only) router.  So, it's pretty
easy to find such instructions.  For example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1463500

If you take a Netgear router which has a specific WAP-configuration
feature, and configure _it_ as a WAP, then following the instructions in
the User Manual may work better.

There may be some particular situations (firmware bugs. for example)
where using a LAN port for the WAP-to-router connection may work better,
but if the router-as-WAP expects to use its WAN/Internet port for a
purpose like using DHCP to get its new LAN IP address, then you'll have
more problems if you do _not_ use the WAN/Internet port.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7