Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cant reach claimed speed

spatashi
Aspirant

Cant reach claimed speed

Paying for 600 MBPS from Xfinity Modem reached 700 hardwired. Router ports only give out 300 current wifi speed is 300. Any idea what can be changed. Cat6 cabling for everything. Got 700 from Macbook pro m1 with ethernet adapter. Modem is Netgear CM100 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
spatashi
Aspirant

Re: Cant reach claimed speed

QOS is off, Smart Connect off, 20/40 is off,  and this is the firmware V1.4.1.68_1.3.28

Message 2 of 11
plemans
Guru

did you try a simple factory reset and reinstall of the router?

Don't install from a backup.

during setup, make sure to leave qos, access control, parental controls, and traffic monitoring all disabled. 

Message 3 of 11
spatashi
Aspirant

So I went ahead and did the factory reset on the router noticed that once I unplugged the router accidentally then speed dropped to 130 mbps from 600 after the reset on wifi. On ethernet it gets the full speed. This happened twice so far did factory reset 2 times so far.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 11
spatashi
Aspirant

So I went ahead and did the factory reset on the router noticed that once I unplugged the router accidentally then speed dropped to 130 mbps from 600 after the reset on wifi. On ethernet it gets the full speed. This happened twice so far did factory reset 2 times so far.
Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Your putting unplugged the router confuses me. Did you unplug it as the reset? or actually factory reset it by pushing and holding reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. Sorry, not implying anything, just want to clarify

Message 6 of 11
spatashi
Aspirant

Whoops forgot to include it. Once power cord was unplugged from the router the speed dropped. Tried restarting the router no luck. This took place right after the modem got factory reset from the button on the router itself. Once factory reset its fine but when it looses power then it acts up
Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

@spatashi wrote:
Whoops forgot to include it. Once power cord was unplugged from the router the speed dropped. Tried restarting the router no luck. This took place right after the modem got factory reset from the button on the router itself. Once factory reset its fine but when it looses power then it acts up

the modem and router are diferent. 

Pushing the reset button on the router doesn't reset the modem. 

so I'm even more confused by whats going on/what you're doing. 

Message 8 of 11
spatashi
Aspirant

So the modem is fine putting out 717 to ethernet. Router's ports are giving out 700 not an issue. But issue seems to be with WIFI. Mistake it's supposed to be factory rested router. Not modem. Issue is with router. Once I factory reset the router and I unplugged it problem happens with speed dropping on WIFI. No it doesn't speed up with time restarted it few minutes still same. Don't want to keep resetting the router every time power cord to the router gets disconnected.
Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Your not going to hit 700mbps over wifi. 

wired you will. 

What speeds are you getting over wifi when its working as you expect? 

And when it slows? 

Are you making sure to test over 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 

That router has band steering (smart connect) that steers you between the 2 bands. 5ghz is much faster but doesn't broadcast as far. 

Message 10 of 11
spatashi
Aspirant

After the router reboots is when it is slow. Factory reset does change it but as soon as it reboots it dies down again. Speed of wifi currently is 143 mbps on the 2 5ghz. Smart connect is off and other on first response. Between 600 to 700 when right by the router on wifi. That's how it performed after the restart and until power was disconnected from router. Wifi is on 5 ghz for this speed test. Same distance as prior upfront of the router
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7