Case Closed: Auto Channel Select not working

LeeH
Prodigy

Case Closed: Auto Channel Select not working

I opened up a support case for the Auto Channel Select not working and you have to manually select a channel and reboot the router in order to change channels (2.4 GHz).

The case has been closed without resolution.

Is this a feature you would like to see working? Would you be willing to submit a support case for this defect so that it receives attention and gets fixed?

Does it really matter to you?
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Case Closed: Auto Channel Select not working

Just curious, How did test or what made you think it's not working? . What was the 2.4 mode (speed) set to. Was coexistence enabled?
Message 2 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

I used the Genie application over a three day period to determine that the router was always using channel 1 no matter how many routers were on channel 1. There were many less routers using other channels with channel 6 being sparsely populated and channel 5 being open. My router never changed off of channel 1 but I saw several other router dynamically bouncing back and forth between channels 1 and 11.

I tried changing the router to channel 5 and the Genie application showed the router using channel 1. I waited for a few minutes but the router never changed channels. I rebooted the router and it came back up on channel 5. I verified this behavior by switching back to Auto, no effect. Switched to channel 6, no effect. Rebooted the router and it came back up on channel 6.

Speed set to 600 and coexistence was checked (on).
Message 3 of 8
Mark_K
Tutor

LeeH wrote:
I opened up a support case for the Auto Channel Select not working and you have to manually select a channel and reboot the router in order to change channels (2.4 GHz).

The case has been closed without resolution.

Is this a feature you would like to see working? Would you be willing to submit a support case for this defect so that it receives attention and gets fixed?

Does it really matter to you?

Support will close your case if you don't keeping pinging the case at least once a week.....
At least that's what I have been told by other users on this forum. However I had three cases for the same issue closed without resolution even when I pinged it (left a follow-up message) once a week. So I had to create new cases (I did this 3 times) for the issue. Finally I just gave up.

1xR6300 V1 - V1.0.2.36_1.0.28
Message 4 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

Mark_K wrote:
Support will close your case if you don't keeping pinging the case at least once a week.....
At least that's what I have been told by other users on this forum. However I had three cases for the same issue closed without resolution even when I pinged it (left a follow-up message) once a week. So I had to create new cases (I did this 3 times) for the issue. Finally I just gave up.

You are absolutely correct. Both the "Auto Channel Select" and "DHCP errors dropping connections" tickets I put in will be closed. There are work arounds for these issues and not enough people submitted support tickets on them.

I think the moderator (Mars Mug) should start a new sticky thread for each item that won't be fixed, put in a good work around procedure then lock the thread so new members will see the work around for their problem without having to post and wait for an answer. This could reduce overhead and quickly provide an answer for router issues.
Message 5 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Setting to 600, do you have a client card that supports that rate? I ask because that rate I believe would require channel bonding using 40mhz. Yet you have coexistence enabled which would tend to limit it to 20mhz.

Another thing to remember is just because you see other routers, that does not mean they actually interfering with your router. Some make it seem like it's cut and dry It isn't. In fact the WIFI standard and modulation scheme all take that into consideration.

Your router and your pc are not located in the same spot so these other signals are not necessarily even close to same level.

It could be that the other routers aren't a problem and therefore the auto function doesn't need to change anything. I also believe rebooting is necessary when changing the channels.

I test auto by hammering my neighbors or my router with 5 AP's all on the same channel as they use, It takes about 10 minutes before they move to another channel. Then shut them down and do it all over again, I'm easily amused.

Just my 2 cents,

Good luck with it'
Message 6 of 8
LeeH
Prodigy

Coexistence was enabled during the process. I only recently unchecked coexistence.
Message 7 of 8
RogerSC
Virtuoso

On the other hand, I have two issues open that have been open since 10/24/2013 and 11/17/2013. They are still open, awaiting resolution from the Netgear side.

If Netgear is like other tech companies,support closes issues when development marks them as fixed (or "not a problem" or "obsolete" or "duplicate" or "will not be fixed" or "non-reproducible", or whatever non-fix status they are changed to). You are free to open a new issue, but that may be closed in the same way.

What would be helpful is to see how Netgear development is dealing with these, what status they get changed to. Just to get an indication of why the issue is closed first by development and then by support, would be really informative to us customers.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E