Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cat peed on router...need help asap

sethf
Aspirant

Cat peed on router...need help asap

How do you open the case of the Nighthawk R8500? I need to try and cover it with rice since my damn cat peed on it. Ive taken the 2 screws out of the back but cant seem to get it open. Thanks
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
sethf
Aspirant

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Cat urine isn't anything like water. The residue from it is nasty, If the router was on then most likely rice or any other trick to remove moisture is a waste of time. The pee more than likely caused a short circuit when it flowed over the motherboard.

I would place it in warm water and move it around to dissolve the pee, then rise with more water, then use a shop VAC to pull as much water as possible from it.

Use one of those storage bags that let you suck the air out with a vaccum filled with rice.

Message 2 of 8
William10a
Master

Cat pee depending on how small the circuit board lands are it may be too late but have apart and want to try and save it. Remove the circuit from the router and use moonshine at lease with next to no water in it or 99.9 percent pure circuit boad cleaner and wash the board at lease two or three times. Now dry the circuit board in old oven at no higher then 250 degrees and no longer a 20 minute period. Good like

Message 3 of 8
sethf
Aspirant

Ummm...no. Only do that if you want to make sure that the router doesnt work again. Also, who has moonshine laying around? Why does the oven have to be old? 

From this past experience....if a cat pees on your router you just have to buy another one.

Message 4 of 8
William10a
Master

Moonshine is easily enough to be had if you know the right people it will not eat most new plastic connectors and dries fast you have to disassemble the router and clean circuit board and off the cleaning solution with pure if possible now here is where comes in play after washing the circuit with pure or water. I would use old toaster oven or oven because of possibly of odors being left in it and I used a toaster oven in cleaning the tuners with knobs on them out of tv's 20 years ago lacquer thinner to remove the old  and contact cleaner lps number 1 for the finger contacts and tuner grease number 1 then place tuner in oven for minutes at about 200 the grease melts and the tuner through out. Yes cat pee and circuit boards go back a long way the longer it stays on the board the more it eats since it acts like a acid end carries electric current very well. Remember pure water is poor conductor but the water in are home can conduct electric charges very well. That's why to the oven to dry the circuit board as the tuned radio circuits and micro controls all hate to be wet.

Message 5 of 8
William10a
Master

Let me fix the last posting

moonshine and other pure spirits have very little to no water in them most will harm plastic connectors the is for the last step after you wash down the circuit board to remove remains of the cat pee or other coatings with distilled or pure water now where the plays in by heating the circuit board to a low heat the water dries leaving the wifi  and micro controller circuit which either like water very much dry. I like using an old oven just in case the develops an odor. Most of the time a larger toaster oven with a timer work just fine. If reread my  first reply I said it may be too late but he had open already and nothing to lose.

Message 6 of 8
sethf
Aspirant

seriously.gif

Message 7 of 8
William10a
Master

There is other way to clean the routers main board then to try remove the pee from the board and it is not simple one step process and there are risk. The choice is your the longer the board cover in pee the worst your chances of saving it,there very fine copper lands can eaten away very fast if not gone now. If you think washing circuit board and drying it out  in a low temp oven is crazy than your going end up buying a new router many of the circiuts boards today have up to 12 layers of lands nonrepairable if one of the inter layer is gone. If your willing to take the chance to save it then try cleaning the circuit board the choice is yours.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7